[B18] Nature's Pretty Sweet: Weather and Environment Mod

Started by tkkntkkn, November 25, 2017, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkkntkkn

Quote from: Bozzarr on November 26, 2017, 04:12:45 AM
How does one mine salt out of the flats?
Currently via the plants that grow there. Working on having other methods, too.

Quote from: Bozzarr on November 26, 2017, 04:12:45 AM
Dust storm in salt flats started raining lava all over my newly formed colony.
Dust storm on every map causes lava eruption.

Quote from: AlyfoxLP on November 26, 2017, 12:52:08 AM

So, I was watching a friend live-stream Rimworld with this mod.. he embarked on a Desert Oasis, no lava on it to start. Then a message came up indicating a sandstorm, and then lava started appearing all over the place.

Possibly related, I embarked on a Salt Flats map, and out of the blue I started having random rich soil and regular soil appear on the map. There was no weather going on at the time, and the soil appeared in such a way that it looks like it might have generated normally in that shape, but.. it appeared out of nowhere.

I think this is fixed if you're up for re-downloading. I'm checking again to confirm.

PGMP1979

Thank you for all the work you put on this mod.
It looks very very cool :D

SpaceDorf

Holy Fracking Hell on the Rim .. you made me start a new game..

===== EDIT =====

I found something.

It may be an interaction with fertile fields, but it started to rain and my river turned into soil.
I am curious if it turns back into water again, when the rain stops and will tell you.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

AlyfoxLP

Quote from: tkkntkkn on November 26, 2017, 07:29:54 AM
I think this is fixed if you're up for re-downloading. I'm checking again to confirm.

are you going to push the fix to steam workshop?

TeflonJim

Please may I suggest that you change the stuffProps/stuffAdjective property of the RedWoodLog def to "Redwood" (from wooden)? This will give a clear name to items or structures created using your def.

All the best!

voodoo6358

Love the frost, but it causes my game to come to a screeching halt whenever weather is flipping back to thawing. It runs fine at 4x speed when freezing - but thawing hits the brakes and causes it to run at less than 1x speed. No log messages, either... I AM running with a lot of mods, but I'd like to know if this is something other people encounter before I do any more testing

Calistyn

I'm having the same problem with the frost, but running a fairly small number of mods. I attached the list, in case that might prove to be helpful.

I'll try to play more tomorrow evening and see if this mod is interacting with the others weirdly, or if it's just Nature's Pretty Sweet causing the issue.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

voodoo6358

Okay, it does happen when it is the ONLY mod installed. Once a map has been completely covered in frost, thawing causes a massive amount of lag even on smaller map sizes. This is especially bad for locations that freeze/thaw daily. Freezing isn't a problem at all - almost unnoticeable lag, but thawing makes the game grind to a halt until all or almost all of it is gone.

Canute

Weather simulation need alot of CPU power, there is a reason why the weather guru's use super-mainframes and not regular desktop PCs :-)

tkkntkkn need to optimize the weather calculation.
Do you know
Tick MultiThread
Currently it runs the plants tick event in a different thread. Nice addition to the swamp maps. Not compatible with "fast ecology" dev option, and mods that load asset with the TickLong method.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31646.0
Maybe you can create an own thread for the weather to lower the lag.

voodoo6358

Well, since frost generates perfectly fine at 4x speed, but makes the game chug when melting at 1x speed, methinks something is borked. Wouldn't imagine it should be too different from snows effect on performance, so something is going wrong.

shark510

tkkntkkn

Quote from: voodoo6358 on November 27, 2017, 03:53:44 AM
Once a map has been completely covered in frost, thawing causes a massive amount of lag even on smaller map sizes. This is especially bad for locations that freeze/thaw daily. Freezing isn't a problem at all - almost unnoticeable lag, but thawing makes the game grind to a halt until all or almost all of it is gone.

I'm working on this right now

tkkntkkn

Thank you so much to everyone who's posted! I'm incredibly thankful for your feedback and patience. I've made a lot of changes and all of them are live.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1211694919
Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/229/?
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixrtdvftjp5izm5/rimworld_tkkn_nps.zip?dl=0

I'm currently working on the raining lava, rain going to dirt, and the frost issue.

One of the first to report lava raining has told me they haven't experienced it with newer updates, so I'm going to tentatively consider it fixed. I'll keep an eye out as I continue to play. I also haven't experienced the rain to dirt issue, but I'm still working on it. Please let me know if (after using a newer file) you still have it.

Here is a list of changes so far:

Fixed bug where moving water might turn to ice in the rain
Pathing fix for lava pools (NOT LAVA ERUPTIONS). Lava that's not on the border is no longer walkable, so pawns will hopefully not path through the middle of lava anymore.
Tweaked soil fertility
Made springs smaller (only applies to new springs) so you can wall them in to build a sauna or something.
Tweak Volcanic fields so there is less lava rock and more soil.
Added "rain spawns" - lava will spawn lava rock in the rain, sand will spawn crabs
Fixed missing image for roe
Added setting so an old save can be used with this mod and get some of the benefits. Use at your own risk.
Tweaked some patches so custom animals spawn in standard biomes
Made it so frost doesn't show over ice, snow and water
Tweaked Oasis Biome to make more animals spawn and make more soil around the oasis
Removed bad bubbling effect from spring and added rain hitting was effect to water in the rain.
Made springs rarer
Made washed up treasure rarer
Renamed lava rock to basalt
Changed stuffAdjective of Redwood from wooden to redwood
Redwoods take less work to cut down but give less wood

Added a patch for Vegetable garden.
Salt plants will drop VGP's Salt for use in VGP's recipes. Removed my salt and salted meat.
VGP soils will darken in rain.

Thank you all again.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.