Advanced components grind sucks

Started by Yoshida Keiji, November 30, 2017, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

95 Advanced components +5 per casket makes end game suck too much. Looks like as soon as you enter the last third of the game you shall build like 3 component benches or you are stuck doing nothing. Tynan, really?

Tynan

We're gonna balance it down a bit.

At the same time, yeah, it is an industrial goal; build 3 or 4 components benches. That's the whole goal of the game at that point!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Albion

For exactly this reason I added advanced components to the stock of exotic goods traders in my mod.
It's still a horrible grind but not as bad when you can buy some of them from traders.

However if the work amout is lowered or the building requirements brought down a notch this will help a lot in mitigating this problem of just grinding through seasons of component crafting.

Yoshida Keiji

Yes, the outlanders should be selling these. Lorewise, they are supposed to be technologically superior to us, as they can make glitter world meds and bionics, which a player can't. It won't make any sense, that we can craft these, but they can't. Breaking the whole Rim World universe.

Also, since Advanced components are ship elements, Psychic Ship and Poison Ships should drop some after destroyed, same for Ship Chunks.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on December 01, 2017, 04:17:17 AM
Yes, the outlanders should be selling these. Lorewise, they are supposed to be technologically superior to us, as they can make glitter world meds and bionics, which a player can't. It won't make any sense, that we can craft these, but they can't. Breaking the whole Rim World universe.

Also, since Advanced components are ship elements, Psychic Ship and Poison Ships should drop some after destroyed, same for Ship Chunks.

Sounds reasonable. Having Ship Chunks drop them seems to be to easy, though.
Another way could be extracting the components from Mechanoids as an alternative to extracting other ressources which requires research.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Tynan on November 30, 2017, 10:33:34 AM
We're gonna balance it down a bit.

At the same time, yeah, it is an industrial goal; build 3 or 4 components benches. That's the whole goal of the game at that point!

IMO the RNG nature of even getting uranium no matter what you do is a more problematic bottleneck than component work.  4 benches with shift work can crank advanced components, but if the traders/deep drill spots aren't cooperating on uranium there's nothing you can do in a reasonable timeframe and that sucks. 

It was the biggest bottleneck problem in A17 and it's still the case.  A work/industry barrier is a lot less problematic because the player can lean more of his resources into it.

Yoshida Keiji

Once I'm back home I shall upload my save file with 2.000+ uranium and an uranium meteor still un-mined. My first two deep drills landed on uranium deposits.

Anyways the lack of uranium is a great opportunity to encourage multiple settlements with a road system upgrade that allow outpost stations in mini maps. Roads that connect player built colonies shall be well-known areas and considerably reduce ambushes as members of the same player would frequent those paths. The mini may outpost could host us to 5 characters that have the option to call in for reinforcements from the closest colony before a raid begins.

The a new place production device that counts deep drills in all player built colonies could detect their presence across towns and trigger an increase in uranium deposits. Unless underground deposits are already set from start and cannot be modified by this suggested new device.

Jstank

An elegant and simple solution to this is
A) Make the mineral scanner color code the type of deposit *White for Metal *Yellow for Components *Green for Uranium!
B)Have a switch on the long range mineral scanner to specifically look for (X ore deposits)

PS: Tynan can we change the ship so that it actually builds symmetrically!

I can never build it because it always turns out so ugly.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux