RimWorld Modding Competition?

Started by RyanRim, December 01, 2017, 11:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanRim

Another year is drawing to a close with RimWorld, and we saw a huge amount of terrific mods being brought in. Im surprised that people haven't started a modding competition, or a poll to choose best mods like back in the days Morrowind had.
Modders should receive more credit and way to boost it is with modding events. Like choosing best mods out of each category, considering the boom of updates and new mods with B18.
Food for thought people.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Albion

I kind of like the idea but someone would have to stage it somehow.
I also suspect that the results are kind of available already. It's called the most subscribed list in the steam workshop.

That said it might be a way to get some exposure to lesser known mods.

RyanRim

True. I also want more recognition to people who dont put all works in Steam (although right now its a must).

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

dburgdorf

Quote from: RyanRim on December 01, 2017, 11:03:46 AMLike choosing best mods out of each category....

I certainly appreciate the desire to get more attention on mods, but I don't really think that a competition is the way to go. I mean, by what criteria would you define the "best" mod in a given category? It often happens that you'll have several similar mods, all well done, accomplishing similar goals but in different ways. No one of them is necessarily "better" in any objective sense than the others. Which (if any) of them a given player will use will depend primarily on that player's tastes and on what he or she wants out of the game.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Nightinggale

Quote from: dburgdorf on December 01, 2017, 03:35:08 PMby what criteria would you define the "best" mod in a given category?
Obviously that would be the mod you decide to use when you play. Well welcome to the 21th century where you can use more than one mod in a game at the same time :P

Besides the issue of defining "the best", what would we gain from a competition? Odds are that we all use more or less every single mod we can vote on. We know Combat Extended will win the fighting category. We know HugsLib will win the tool category (because the other tools aren't visible to the players). EPOE or ADS will most likely win the health category. Industrial Rollers will likely win the item moving category. If people aren't using the winners, or even the top 5, then it's most likely because they made an active choice not to use those, not because they never came across those mods.

If you want to do something to get the modding community more productive, you need to figure out how to encourage wouldbe modders. You know people who might make something great in the future, but haven't started yet or haven't made much yet. Those people will obviously not win such a competition and worst case they will be unhappy that they aren't good/known enough to even enter.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

RyanRim

Quote from: Nightinggale on December 01, 2017, 10:44:34 PM

Besides the issue of defining "the best", what would we gain from a competition? Odds are that we all use more or less every single mod we can vote on. We know Combat Extended will win the fighting category. We know HugsLib will win the tool category (because the other tools aren't visible to the players). EPOE or ADS will most likely win the health category. Industrial Rollers will likely win the item moving category. If people aren't using the winners, or even the top 5, then it's most likely because they made an active choice not to use those, not because they never came across those mods.

If you want to do something to get the modding community more productive, you need to figure out how to encourage wouldbe modders. You know people who might make something great in the future, but haven't started yet or haven't made much yet. Those people will obviously not win such a competition and worst case they will be unhappy that they aren't good/known enough to even enter.

yes. People would just vote for their used mods on certain categories. Many modders also keep certain projects private, cause they think its unstable or are afraid of criticism. They need to be encouraged. Also I personally have 32 (yes) mods on B18, and since most relations and psychology mods arent updates yet, Im gonna add more. I just love testing small and maybe irrelevant mods, but each one adds something to the game.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Nightinggale

Quote from: RyanRim on December 02, 2017, 04:57:39 AMAlso I personally have 32 (yes) mods on B18
You write that like it's a lot. I had to test something with lots of mods loaded and in no time I got 190 mods for B18 from steam. More has since been released, meaning there are most likely people playing with 200+ mods now.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

notfood

I think a better contest would be mod jams, they'd introduce new ideas, new concepts.

Best new idea gets something. And the other ideas never go wasted.

RyanRim

Quote from: Nightinggale on December 02, 2017, 06:51:47 AM
Quote from: RyanRim on December 02, 2017, 04:57:39 AMAlso I personally have 32 (yes) mods on B18
You write that like it's a lot. I had to test something with lots of mods loaded and in no time I got 190 mods for B18 from steam. More has since been released, meaning there are most likely people playing with 200+ mods now.

yes I know haha. I usually keep 3 different savegames to mix different mods in each, one based on medieval mod, other where I test all military stuff and weapon mods, and then agricultural/basebuilding. And yea there are many minimods that people want to or need to add so cant argue with that. I like cheat reactor and since it just one standalone mod then I use it and count it as one.

Quote from: notfood on December 02, 2017, 05:47:44 PM
I think a better contest would be mod jams, they'd introduce new ideas, new concepts.

Best new idea gets something. And the other ideas never go wasted.

Surely that needs to be introduced. Right now there are many theme mods (Planet of the Apes, SS13, GoT, Star Wars etc. etc.), and im really hoping for a mod with LotR theme (orcs, nazguls, hobbits  ;) ). For these kind of projects would be fun if many modders would start working and maybe even competing. Right now we have thousands of unused concepts in the mod suggestion articles. We better use them.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯