Alpha 4 observations

Started by Cassey, June 01, 2014, 08:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

At day 31 and have yet to get them to:

Build a wood wall (yes, I have an electric sawmill with a "make 10" bill)
Build a bed
Build a wooden door
Build a butcher table
Build a stonemason's table (yes, researched)

Tynan

So what conclusion are you leading to? The game is bugged? Too hard? Unclear? Too slow-paced?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Cassey

Sorry...

Bugged.  Been playing since Alpha 1.  Or perhaps the rules have changed?  But I didn't see anything I would need to research to build wooden walls or beds.

Of course, this prevents me from rescuing the random crash victim, or arresting wounded attackers.

If its relevant, I'm playing on the largest board creatable at the best graphic level.  No mods. 

Save file:  http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1245501

Tynan

Saw some logs into planks.

We've had usability issues with this; I'd hoped that the red text on the mouse when you build things for which you have no materials would have helped.... :( Sorry.

Cassey

Quote from: Tynan on June 01, 2014, 09:04:42 PM
Saw some logs into planks.

We've had usability issues with this; I'd hoped that the red text on the mouse when you build things for which you have no materials would have helped.... :( Sorry.

Hmmm, have had sawmills for some time, with waybills.  Doesn't explain the bed issue or lack of them building butcher tables or stone mason tables.  Although having crafting somewhat low could explain the lack of wood boards...

Be nice... I've been with you since your original kickstart drive and ever since.

Update:  Setting crafting to priority 1 solved the wood issue.

Update 2:  And they need wood to make beds?  I didn't see that coming...  I saw the red, just presumed it was because I was low on metal, as in previous releases.

Update 3:  Ah, the butcher table is wood as well.  OK, all is well now - just needed to know what to look for.

Dielos

Hi.

I have had troubles getting them to build stuff at the beginning too. Mostly it was due to missing resources. It would be nice if a warning could be implemented that tells you when there are constructions halted do to missing resources, just like the ones were it says that you have an idle colonist, or you need beds for them.

Tynan

Quote from: Dielos on June 02, 2014, 02:38:54 AM
It would be nice if a warning could be implemented that tells you when there are constructions halted do to missing resources, just like the ones were it says that you have an idle colonist, or you need beds for them.

That's actually a good idea. I was trying to think of other ways to solve this but this is a really good one I hadn't thought of.

Col_Jessep

Tynan, you could maybe add how many resources are currently missing to the list in the top left corner with a minus and big, red font? That would help with mining metal, too. If you see -70 metal you know you need to mine 2 segments of ore to get all your queued stuff finished.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Mattaru

for the longest time i was wondering why i couldn't build the butcher's table (bug: I couldn't right click->priority build it either?).

then I realized I didn't have the planks - I needed to manually ask them to chop the tree down to get it - then the planks appeared, and the table got built.

Haplo

Another possible solution would be to add to the Blueprints and Frames the information about what is needed to the info box.
The Frames has already the info what is already inside, but what's needed is missing, so you have to look into the build menu to find out what is needed..

Blitz

IMO, the some of usuability issues come from multiple workbenches all doing the same thing. The difference between the hand saw and the electric saw is speed and the need for power - why not just be able to upgrade the hand saw into an electric saw by right clicking on it and telling it to upgrade? I know the whole upgrading idea has been squashed before (modular turret thread), but I feel like it would greatly cut down on the number of items in the build menu and increase the usability of each structure while decreasing player misinformation.

Quote from: Col_Jessep on June 02, 2014, 08:42:27 AM
Tynan, you could maybe add how many resources are currently missing to the list in the top left corner with a minus and big, red font?

Items are only counted when in stockpiles, but can be used by colonists. There would be a lot of negative numbers in the UI.

psilous

Quote from: Blitzkriegsler on June 02, 2014, 09:29:35 AM
IMO, the some of usuability issues come from multiple workbenches all doing the same thing. The difference between the hand saw and the electric saw is speed and the need for power - why not just be able to upgrade the hand saw into an electric saw by right clicking on it and telling it to upgrade? I know the whole upgrading idea has been squashed before (modular turret thread), but I feel like it would greatly cut down on the number of items in the build menu and increase the usability of each structure while decreasing player misinformation.

Quote from: Col_Jessep on June 02, 2014, 08:42:27 AM
Tynan, you could maybe add how many resources are currently missing to the list in the top left corner with a minus and big, red font?

Items are only counted when in stockpiles, but can be used by colonists. There would be a lot of negative numbers in the UI.

Actually there are more differences with the electric saw, you must have a hand saw to eventually build the electric as that actually requires more planks than you start with.

I recommend players set the hand saw to infinite build as many of the items that require planks require more than ten. plus the wood flooring is fantastic.

Youraputz

It took me a few minutes to realize I was missing some wood planks when i was feverishly trying to get a colonist to prioritize building a wooden door and couldn't figure out why the menu wouldn't even pop up.  Much like when you try try to prioritize an action and get the error text "Cannot prioritize: Joe is not a hauler", it might be nice to also have "Cannot prioritize: No wood planks available".

Tynan

Quote from: Youraputz on June 02, 2014, 10:41:15 AM
It took me a few minutes to realize I was missing some wood planks when i was feverishly trying to get a colonist to prioritize building a wooden door and couldn't figure out why the menu wouldn't even pop up.  Much like when you try try to prioritize an action and get the error text "Cannot prioritize: Joe is not a hauler", it might be nice to also have "Cannot prioritize: No wood planks available".

Great idea.

Cassey

Well... I don't feel nearly as stupid now as I did a few hours ago when I finally got a bit of sleep.  Thanks all!

BTW - I love the organization of the new menus - having things like grow lights under production and bedroom lights under furniture - great move.

I think the whole "prioritize task" thing needs some advertisement as well.  Its almost a surprise to me when I see that menu, and honestly have never tried it (bad habit I suspect).