How Many People Actually Play to "Win"?

Started by BasileusMaximos, December 10, 2017, 03:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walkaboutout

I don't play the game to escape on the ship either. Mainly because I play the tribal start most often. To me, that's the funnest, as I have the most research to do over the longest period, and because it's the remnants of a tribe trying to build a new home, it doesn't make sense in my head for them to necessarily want to leave their home. Though I admit, a little imagination is all it takes to come up with multiple scenarios why that would be the case.

Anyways, if I ever get around to a crash landed or rich explorer start, I will definitely try the experience of building or reaching the ship to escape the planet. It's just not the most appealing method of play in my mind, that's all.

Jumper

What other end game would people like to work toward ? The spaceship launch is something to work toward but gives limited scope. if you could have any choice of end game or a way to keep the game going what would you look for

Bozobub

Quote from: Jumper on January 23, 2018, 04:48:55 PM
What other end game would people like to work toward ?
Why, the same thing we do every night, Jumper.  Try.  To take over.  The WORLD!
Thanks, belgord!

Kiter5

I have only been playing a month. so far I don't play to 'win'.  After my people put all that time & effort into iguana breeding and house repairs, they usually grow to like their new life and want to stay.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Jumper on January 23, 2018, 04:48:55 PM
What other end game would people like to work toward ? The spaceship launch is something to work toward but gives limited scope. if you could have any choice of end game or a way to keep the game going what would you look for

I just don't need one. I have plenty of fun without trying to "win."

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Walkaboutout on January 23, 2018, 11:39:19 AM
I don't play the game to escape on the ship either. Mainly because I play the tribal start most often. To me, that's the funnest, as I have the most research to do over the longest period, and because it's the remnants of a tribe trying to build a new home, it doesn't make sense in my head for them to necessarily want to leave their home. Though I admit, a little imagination is all it takes to come up with multiple scenarios why that would be the case.

Anyways, if I ever get around to a crash landed or rich explorer start, I will definitely try the experience of building or reaching the ship to escape the planet. It's just not the most appealing method of play in my mind, that's all.

It's kind of sad, but even tribes are not realistically gated on technology when it comes to launching the ship.  Unless you allow multiple settlements or go giant maps to fish for uranium, its scarcity often winds up being *the* bottleneck to completing a ship in Rimworld.

Even if it isn't, the sheer volume of colonist work to assemble advanced components compared to tech throughput puts a tribe 1-2 years behind a crashlanded ship launch time at most.  Quite possibly not even 1 with some starts.

In an earlier Alpha I managed to clear the entire tech tree (all researched) by year 3 using 2 pawns on one bench day/night as a tribe, though I got lucky with early researchers.  It's a bit longer now, but only ~quadrum.  I still usually have deep drilling + scanner by end of year 2 as a tribe.

Tribe can consistently get space tech by year 3-4 in current patch, but good luck getting the resources + work output by then.  Too much micro and RNG for my blood to do it that fast.  Still, crashlanded advantage after early game is minimal.

Bozobub

I like the tribal start, mainly because it gives me a really good reason to use clubs/maces/bows ^^'.
Thanks, belgord!

RyanRim

I usually aim for a militarial conquest, dominating pirate factions and making good trade bonds. I think only once I finished my game with ship escape, maybe it was back in A16.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Shurp

So what happens if you wipe out all of the other settlements on the planet?  Do you stop being attacked by humans, with only ship part assaults?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Bozobub

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd guess that you're correct, barring random events that involve non-faction human forces.
Thanks, belgord!

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Shurp on January 25, 2018, 09:10:15 PM
So what happens if you wipe out all of the other settlements on the planet?  Do you stop being attacked by humans, with only ship part assaults?

And maybe drop pod pirates, coming from an orbiting ship?

jpnm92

OP you should have made a poll, it would be way more practical.

But talking about me, I'll never play to win, Rimworld is my new home and i just embrace it.

gipothegip

I don't really play to win. I've launched the ship in the past, and have done playthroughs with that goal in mind, but it's not what I play for.

Plus the ship is a real grind now, so it demotivates me. I don't want to grind for uranium. In the current version (B 18) I got close, but couldn't find the uranium, or the will to do so.

Besides, the design of the game is all about emergent gameplay, generating unique scenarios & stories.

Rimworld is as much about launching the ship as Minecraft is about defeating the End Dragon.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Aszh

Building spaceship = zzzz, especially now that it's so grindy.  I built a spaceship once in A15? I think, then never did again.

Now I usually play a single game and build a colony as giant as I can make it, and keep playing until it becomes too laggy to tolerate.

OFWG

Quote from: Aszh on January 29, 2018, 07:43:57 PM
Building spaceship = zzzz, especially now that it's so grindy.

Unfortunately true. I just finished a B18 game with a ship launch and even with devmode hacked in components (uranium was ludicrously easy to get for some reason) it took literally years for my guys to make the ship.

TBH I was very disappointed to see that the end game need for components is still so anti-fun, and that the pawn AI is still so atrocious. Most of the delay in building was because of the usual "build one square of wall, run across the entire map to eat a meal, build one square of wall, sleep" dance. It was still fun, don't get me wrong - but the AI annoyance finally made me rage-win to just end it. :)
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."