A18 Vanilla Complete. My thoughts

Started by Vlad0mi3r, December 12, 2017, 12:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlad0mi3r

So A18 Vanilla completed see pictures and saves below if you like. Use the save and images as you like.

https://imgur.com/a/oYLow

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaurwbtz9u0jegx/A18.rws%20copy?dl=0

So what are my feelings about A18 Vanilla. Its getting there for sure, the new content that has been added has changed the game but not completely.

So my thoughts on the why or gee I don't think thats the best idea.

The new Zzzt but I managed to adjust to play with it. Still don't like it though.

The look of the ship. I used to feel like you were building something with Technic Lego. Now it feels like you are messing around with Duplo. The new ship has odd shapes that defy symmetry. Why at least is the sensor cluster not the same size as the persona core. Its also clunky with some of the parts looking like someone just stretched the image to make it bigger. So anyway would be nice to see some changes here.

The good bits:

Changing animal zones from the animals interaction screen. So awesome so much time saving thank you.

Boomalopes that give Chemfuel. Yay walking bombs that you can keep inside your base. Risk verses reward did I already say Yay.

New mental breaks and mental boosts great to see the plus side for keeping your people happy.

Meteors gave me a laugh this play through especially when it landed on my graveyard of fallen colonists and destroyed the grave yard completely.

Targeting with Grenades and Miniguns. Feel Miniguns now are the kick arse weapons they should be and will now feature as part of my defences.

Still feels like Rimworld which is really important.

So as you can see more positives than issues and I am look forward to Rimworld moving forward.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

cyberian

I feel they should remove Minigun target ground again. Its too powerful. No need to use other weapons, no need to have melee and shooting skills, no need to craft better quality items. Just equip everyone with Miniguns poorly crafted or dropped from Centipedes and your unstoppable you don't even need defenses.

lancar

Quote from: cyberian on December 12, 2017, 02:41:04 AM
I feel they should remove Minigun target ground again. Its too powerful. No need to use other weapons, no need to have melee and shooting skills, no need to craft better quality items. Just equip everyone with Miniguns poorly crafted or dropped from Centipedes and your unstoppable you don't even need defenses.

This was easily possible before with just plopping down a sleeping spot or crafting spot and targeting that. Or just targeting a sturdy piece of rock or wall behind what you wanted to shoot that.
Reverting this recent change to be able to just target ground directly will do next to nothing to combat this usage of the minigun other than make it slightly more annoying.

Kirby23590

Yup i'm happy too here!  :)

I kinda prefer the AI Persona core and the Sensor Cluster Sizes to be the same and kinda of miss the old alarm sounds from A14 and A17.

I'm happy to see boomalopes and boomrats becoming useful animals giving free chemfuel instead of suicide moving explosive barrels around your colony and sending them to raiders or infestations.

Also don't forget that you can already target ground with grenades in the past versions while hunting alphabeavers ;)

I disagree with you. In A17 i used one minigun coming from a mechanoid raid leftover. I was forced to shoot the walls behind the raiders to hit one of them with my minigun and thus breaking Alboio's room since i didn't use that sleeping or crafting spot technique and the raid was sappers breaking into Alboio's room.  That doesn't mean the other weapons are useless since that minigun i had was missing shots and the raiders were wearing armor.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

cyberian

Quote from: lancar on December 12, 2017, 03:24:09 AM
This was easily possible before with just plopping down a sleeping spot or crafting spot and targeting that. Or just targeting a sturdy piece of rock or wall behind what you wanted to shoot that.
Reverting this recent change to be able to just target ground directly will do next to nothing to combat this usage of the minigun other than make it slightly more annoying.
OK this is better then THX for the history I am very new player just into my second game.
Maybe an overheat or jamming mechanic for miniguns that make you have to have other support peoples too or damages the guns longterm to give some kind of disadvantage.

edit: as for Booms I like playing my Boreal Forest they don't have Boom-animals I find them strange

lancar

Quote from: cyberian on December 12, 2017, 03:52:36 AM
Quote from: lancar on December 12, 2017, 03:24:09 AM
OK this is better then THX for the history I am very new player just into my second game.
Maybe an overheat or jamming mechanic for miniguns that make you have to have other support peoples too or damages the guns longterm to give some kind of disadvantage.

edit: as for Booms I like playing my Boreal Forest they don't have Boom-animals I find them strange

Arguably, the miniguns do have real tangible disadvantages, such as reduced movement speed, tendency to hit your own people if they stand anywhere near the cone of fire, slow wind-up time, and of course their near complete inability to hit what you're actually aiming at.
All this makes the minigun a great area denial weapon, but unsuited for any other type of combat.
They're great for killboxes/tunnels and other situations where you have a predictable mass of targets clumped close together. Against enemies that're spread out they're not much use at all.
All this means the minigun is a far more situational weapon than most.
Devastating under the right circumstances, and a liability otherwise.

TheMeInTeam

Miniguns only win out in chokes/corridors.  They are otherwise outranged by snipers and bolt action, have a long windup time, and cost a ton of components + end game tech to produce.  They are fantastic against tribal raids and manhunter packs that aren't tiny animals, have some risk against raids with triple rocket launchers, and are pretty crummy against mechs (especially centipedes).  I use them a lot, and can say from experience that you need other measures vs sappers, sieges, and mech raids.  "Just make miniguns" is pretty inefficient against those.

If anything, LMGs should also get the ground target.  These are weapons that are quite sucky when not targeting a crowd.

sadpickle

The best thing about single-player games with exploits is: you don't have to use the exploit. Exercise some self-control.

In multiplayer it's a different issue, because everyone will mercilessly exploit to be better than the other guy. This is not an issue when your only opponent is lines of computer code.

Jibbles

I've only been able to do some testing. Just started a colony yesterday that's going to stick around. Pretty sure I'm going to dig this update.

-Major performance boost so far.  A17, I could only have about 14 colonist (low animal count) if I want to play 3x without it laggin behind. B18, I'm spawning in 40 colonists, stupid amount of animals, filled the map up with buildings items and it's running pretty smooth at 3x.  Hoping I don't come across performance issues late game. Super excited about this.

-I wasn't expecting this one.  You can restrict pawns inside during a manhunter pack and they won't open the doors like they would do in A17.  No more forbidding doors shenanigans for repairing. 

-What's different with short circuit event?  I think my mod is preventing this.

Dargaron

IIRC, the ZZZT! doesn't destroy your conduit any more: it just explodes and drains all your (connected) batteries.

Which on the one hand is kind of silly, since the conduit exploding would probably break it. On the other hand, it's tedious to find that ONE piece of conduit that broke if you've got a particularly intricate power grid (or your colony is huge).

Vlad0mi3r

Yeah but it sets the conduit on fire if it is not encased in a wall so still requires direct Pawn action in that situation.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503