Ever eaten without a table in real life?

Started by Scarecrow, December 12, 2017, 10:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirby23590

If i were eating while standing, and if it's a potato chips or a sandwich or an burger. I wouldn't care since i walk around freely with them in my hand.

But if it was spaghetti or cup noodles or a steak in the other hand. Yeah won't like that eating while standing. I would mostly find a place to sit on besides the floor or leaning to a wall. I would mostly sit on the chair on the sofa without a table!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Sbilko

Ofc, I don't need a table to eat a sandwich.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on December 13, 2017, 02:59:42 AM
I went camping once and we had to eat without a table.  I punched my friend in the chest shattering his rib, and then went wandering naked in the woods.

10/10 for realism.

He didn't even lose a finger?  I call BS then.

Scarecrow

Quote from: Canute on December 13, 2017, 04:09:13 AM
You are upset because of the -3 debuff, but what about the +20 buff from "Very low expectation" you got at the beginning ?
Isn't that what you argue ?
And once you colony develop up a bit, you people can eat fine meal (+5) to counter these ate without table debuff.

I'm not upset,  I was simply making conversation. But yeah, I don't think getting upset over not eating at a table is a normal thing to do. I kind of understand what you're saying but like I said, it's weird how you're trapped on a planet filled with pirates, mechanoids and giant bugs (that all want to kill you) and you then worry about not eating at a table. Worries like that should always be on your mind. If you ask me, somebody in that kind of situation should be happy that they're simply getting some food in the first place.

Songleaves

I eat probably less than 1% of my meals on a table. The thing though that I find weird about the debuff is the description of it when they say "Can we get a table around here?!" indignantly as if having a table to eat off is a reasonable expectation. The problem is the only time they get this mood debuff is when having a table is not a reasonable expectation: early colony before beds/shelter/meal source/etc have been established, you're attacking an enemy outpost or just got attacked during a raid, you're on other side of map away from colony for some reason, etc.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Songleaves on December 14, 2017, 01:50:56 AM
I eat probably less than 1% of my meals on a table. The thing though that I find weird about the debuff is the description of it when they say "Can we get a table around here?!" indignantly as if having a table to eat off is a reasonable expectation.
Right, but don't you get this nagging feeling of wrongness for the next 12 hours whenever you have your meals?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Dashthechinchilla

Once I ate without a table. The wind picked up and blew my plate over. I flee into a rage and began a fire starting spree. After 18 hours, I calmned down and sat down to eat a new meal while the world around me burned.

Klitri

You are upset because of the -3 debuff, but what about the +20 buff from "Very low expectation" you got at the beginning ?
Isn't that what you argue ?
[/quote]

Lmfao! The lack of functional cerebral cortexes on the web is frightening and makes me feel elated at the levels of my own intelligence. Bye.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on December 14, 2017, 09:21:02 AM
Once I ate without a table. The wind picked up and blew my plate over. I flee into a rage and began a fire starting spree. After 18 hours, I calmned down and sat down to eat a new meal while the world around me burned.
And did you say that this was fine?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Vlad0mi3r

I understand the debuf for no table to eat at. Yes you can eat food while no sitting at a table (A computer desk counts as a table IMO) but after a while you would probably be looking at getting somewhere comfortable and efficient.

Tribal start players probably are the only ones with a genuine argument as the tribal's might have no concept of eating at a table so why the debuf.

Also now being able to build a 1x2 table really is not an issue in resources or space.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Boston

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on December 14, 2017, 04:19:39 PM

Tribal start players probably are the only ones with a genuine argument as the tribal's might have no concept of eating at a table so why the debuf.

NO. NO. NO

I really hate this argument, to the point where I knee-jerk into a frothing rage whenever I see it.

People have known about furniture and the like for over 10,000 years, since before the Neolithic Revolution. People have known about beds. People have known about shirts and trousers and shoes and tables and artificial light and ovens and stoves and means of preserving food. People have known about pretty much every article of clothing, every piece of furniture, pretty much every equivalent to modern amenities there is, with the obvious exception of electricity and the like.

Give me one reason, one good reason, as to why Tribals get portrayed as mouth-breathing, paint-chip-eating, incompetent half-wits, please.

-deep breath-

All that aside, the 'didn't eat at a table debuff" is one of the worst in a long line of extremely-annoying debuffs that make no sense. Be happy you have a roof over your head, food to eat, and warmth to warm your sorry hide with, for Christ's sake.

TheMeInTeam

Yeah tribes not having access to standard beds is pretty arbitrary and silly.  Bedrolls have some nice utility for travel or terrible constructors, but to be incapable of beds?

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Boston on December 14, 2017, 04:43:53 PM

I really hate this argument, to the point where I knee-jerk into a frothing rage whenever I see it.

Give me one reason, one good reason, as to why Tribals get portrayed as mouth-breathing, paint-chip-eating, incompetent half-wits, please.

Goodo, glad your emotional state is so fragile.

I am guessing you are not familiar with the nomadic indigenous tribes of pre-colonial settlement in Australia. No pack animals so the movement of large pieces of furniture like tables was impractical and also unnecessary for the lifestyle lived. Apart from not needing large pieces of static furniture in their lives indigenous Australians also lived in harmony and balance with their natural environment.

Your extrapolation of my comment into:

Tribals get portrayed as mouth-breathing, paint-chip-eating, incompetent half-wits, please.

Is a very long stretch and you have made some rather stupid assumptions. If you would like to put yourself into the, mouth-breathing, paint-chip-eating, incompetent half-wit category you have my full support.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Daimonin

I think the main problem is that there's a bunch of mood penalties that are simply too minor or unreasonable when it comes to causing mental breaks. Eating spaghetti by sitting on he floor with a bowl in your lap may not be ideal, and could very much make for a "Not great day", but it's unreasonable your response would be to murder your buddy and then wonder off into the woods naked.

Certain moodlets should simply not be capable of causing a mental break. At least not the major ones. Alternately, make simple meals negate the "ate without table" penalty, as they are SIMPLE meals like a sandwich, burger, or riceball, that's easy to eat on the move. Fine and lavish meals being more complex stuff your will really want a table and sit down for, like the aforementioned spaghetti.

I'd also like to see some mitigating circumstances for other situations, for example, someone who is starving should gain a mitigating moodlet to avoid a mental break if they are currently gathering/preparing food. It makes no sense that someone who is starving, while carrying some meat to the stove to make food, then randomly decided to drop it on the floor and go starve in his room.... Possibly with the minor exception that they automatically force eat the food the moment it's ready, despite any alternate commands.

For that matter, some of the softer breaks (wandering in a daze, hiding in room, etc) ought to be change to the affected pawns still take care of their basic needs like eating/sleeping. They don't do any work, but they really should at least eat, unless they are intentionally trying to starve themselves to death.

Shurp

Look, this isn't hard to figure out.  This has nothing to do with realism.  The point of the -3 debuff is to give you a reason to go through the trouble to build a nice dining table and stools for your pawns to eat off.  Because let's face it, if they didn't get some bonus for it, we would be too lazy to care.  "Go ahead you dumb pawn, eat your meal in the freezer next to the animal corpses!"

It's a game.  Relax, enjoy it.

The stupidity of pawns when they're having mental breaks is arguably a much bigger pain.  They should certainly feed themselves and go to sleep when they're tired and all that.  The only thing they shouldn't do is useful labor.  And they should run the hell out of there if something attacks them.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.