Got an idea for a Storyteller incident?

Started by Tynan, September 17, 2013, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZebioLizard2

Cult of Flesh: (Requires things that could shape flesh, a surgery center likely)

A group of colonists have begun shaping their flesh, whether it's just some harmless space fad, or something a bit worse is unknown

This could involve a new group coming in to show off their extensive body mods and the like, or a cultist group who believes in the Flesh over Steel

Cult of Steel:

A group of colonists have begun to replace limbs and other pieces of themselves with steel and robotics.

Zorbane

Mirror Universe anomaly!

Duplicates of your colonists (maybe with lower quality gear and lower skills) appear from a strange anomaly and attack your base.

Note: All male duplicates must have goatees

garg1

• Rescue?!:
    A spaceship spots the base and they land.
    They have room for ONE person.
    Do you let the person go or will you keep him while he is probably pissed about it?
  • The time traveller:
    (That one kinda advances the planned "Historical Characters"-Feature)
    Character from old game appears and joins(?) the group.
    It can be expanded, maybe it's a character from the CURRENT group.
    He wants to warn them about the future.. then he dies by universe-correcting: Lightning or a meteor strikes him or maybe he dies by another follow-up incident?
  • Evil clones:
    (Requires "alien artifact" or some kind of cloning-feature)
    Clone/s appear in the base, seek their "original" and start fighting, as soon as a third character approaches them => "Shoot him, I'm the real one!"-clishe
    There is just no way you can choose logically (or can you?)
    Whoever lives will be distrusted by the group (and probably the player).
  • Trouble with Tribbles, 'nough said
...allways an egg.

Semmy

Quote from: garg1 on October 03, 2013, 05:17:11 PM

• Rescue?!:
    A spaceship spots the base and they land.
    They have room for ONE person.
    Do you let the person go or will you keep him while he is probably pissed about it?
  • The time traveller:
    (That one kinda advances the planned "Historical Characters"-Feature)
    Character from old game appears and joins(?) the group.
    It can be expanded, maybe it's a character from the CURRENT group.
    He wants to warn them about the future.. then he dies by universe-correcting: Lightning or a meteor strikes him or maybe he dies by another follow-up incident?
  • Evil clones:
    (Requires "alien artifact" or some kind of cloning-feature)
    Clone/s appear in the base, seek their "original" and start fighting, as soon as a third character approaches them => "Shoot him, I'm the real one!"-clishe
    There is just no way you can choose logically (or can you?)
    Whoever lives will be distrusted by the group (and probably the player).
  • Trouble with Tribbles, 'nough said

room for 1 person..
lets highjack the ship and leave them on this dammed planet.
And if that doesnt work i bet we can scrap that bitch
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

garg1

Quote from: Semmy on October 03, 2013, 05:18:12 PM
room for 1 person..
lets highjack the ship and leave them on this dammed planet.
And if that doesnt work i bet we can scrap that bitch

Oh in that case let me get my antimatter-grenades ^_^
But seriously that could be an option, maybe one of the possible endings? It could be like an Endboss, i imagine the spaceship in that case pretty hightech.
...allways an egg.

Mansen

Being a fan of "theme/tycoon" games I have a couple of suggestions (And apologies if someone has already mentioned something in this vein)

- Emergency Medical Shuttle -

An escape shuttle makes contact with your colony, pleading for medical assistance. Could be old fashioned combat wounds (Could explain the loss of their ship), or something more exotic (Startopia had shuttle events with patients suffering from critical or contagious diseases - often with great risk/reward outcomes)

- Indigenous Critters -

The classic "cute fluffy critter" event. While digging out (or exploring) the cave systems of your planet, you stumble upon a small, friendly tribe (nest?) of fluffy critters. They cannot communicate verbally, but are friendly and purr.

Could add a morale bonus to the colonists if you let them live among you as pets - The kicker being that they will change/turn into something more fearsome (at chance or guaranteed) when a specific lunar/solar event showers the surface (Kind of like space werewolves...except fluffy and cute most of the month)

Maybe add in a "cure" or vaccine for the critters to turn them completely domesticated if you stick it out and have a medically trained scientist around.

Zorbane

Quote from: Mansen on October 03, 2013, 08:02:14 PM
Could add a morale bonus to the colonists if you let them live among you as pets - The kicker being that they will change/turn into something more fearsome (at chance or guaranteed) when a specific lunar/solar event showers the surface (Kind of like space werewolves...except fluffy and cute most of the month)

Isn't that from Startopia too?  ;)

ZebioLizard2

Quote from: Zorbane on October 03, 2013, 08:08:27 PM
Quote from: Mansen on October 03, 2013, 08:02:14 PM

Isn't that from Startopia too?  ;)

You're thinking of the Garbage Beasts, they are cute little things to start with then they start eating trash and OMG THERE'S A GIANT BLACK SHELLED BEAST EATING EVERYONE.

Mansen

Astrakhan

I'll toss in a couple things, though note, I have no idea about programming so I have no idea how difficult it is to do things, and I haven't played the game (yet-I kickstarted) so I don't know what's in there and what's not. /disclaimer

-Interaction between weather and hardware, i.e., if it's raining, please oh please don't use that tesla cannon, shorts out electronics etc. Could even go crazy and do acid rain/global warming type stuff affecting crop growth. The solar flare idea someone else mentioned is cool; while it increases power production everyone also needs to stay indoors or wear crazy amounts of sunblock or special armor or something lest they get horribly burned.

-Unstable environments like eruptions--think someone mentioned sinkholes, but how about gas pockets and stuff like that, can start small as a precursor to something more traumatic. Biomes were mentioned as a feature to be considered--yes please! Try colonizing something like a volcano planet.

-Caravans/Trade ships/Whatever spy on your supply situation and extort you for what you need. "It's just supply and demand, and my friend right here," he said, tapping his shotgun.

-I don't know what sort of buildings and occuptations the colonists will have but I'm imagining the story of the colonist who owns the saloon, gets everyone addicted to alcohol then sets himself up like a king, hires a mob of thugs and basically rules the town. A crooked sheriff, the mysterious trader who shows up and proceeds to start killing everyone, the bounty hunter that starts abusing people looking for one of his targets amongst your citizens. I could go on for days about that stuff, but I won't. (Mad scientist would be awesome, mutated/cross-bred animals)

-I don't know what sorts of energy sources are being considered, and the research/tech/engineering capabilities it would take to get to them, but nuclear, fusion and plasma technology offers all kinds of event-related hilarity. The nuclear meltdown or just seeping radiation that mutates everything around it, the fusion plant that suddenly turns into a self-sustating sun that must be launched into space or doom ensues, or plasma technology that burns a hole through the casing and anything or anyone adjacent.

If anything is intriguing I'll keep thinking and posting.

Sky_walker

1. Micrometeorite rain - whole map gets covered by micrometeorite rain. Every un-armored structure will be damaged (eg. crops, solar panels). All of the living creatures (and characters) left on open air have  1% chance of death in first 5 seconds, 5% for next 5 seconds, and 10% for any further second of the rain.
This should be very, very rare event (eg. chance should be low enough not to see it even once during a game) with no warnings before it starts.

2. Sand storm - Breaks all of the ventilation systems unless it's turned off. It will kill all of the characters if they're left for more than 30 seconds on a storm. Slight chance to damage some of the crops. Minimum 1 minute warning before the storm.

3. Famine and Drought - crops lower their vegetation by 75% for X period of time. Natural water deposits lower the output - by 90% on surface and 30% underground. Player got an option to use drinking water for crops - creating an interesting dilemma of balancing water and food needs for the population.

4. Heat wave - kills 60% of crops and adds Hyperthermia modifier for anyone staying more than 50 seconds outdoors. If someone remains outdoors during Heat wave  for more than 3 minutes he will die.

Hyperthermia got a random chance every X seconds of causing a person to faint for 2 minutes.  Another effect of Hyperthermia is that person is unable to perform any complicated actions - basically he should be limited to opening doors and moving around.

4. Limnic eruption - got a small chance to occur in any larger lake. It's a massive CO2 release causing every living creature or human within range of a lake to get Hypercapnia modifier and eventually die unless gets into the oxygen tank or an indoor area with regulated atmosphere. It will cause a drop of skills and a 10% chance of fainting every 20 seconds. If someone remains in the area of a lake for more than 3 minutes - he will die.
Unlike Heat wave event this can be handled by providing oxygen bottles to the colonists. It also doesn't affect vegetation.

5. Geomagnetic storm - breaks all of the radio / remote communications. Causes all of the animals to behave irrationally (eg. randomly change directions, stop herd behavior, resist to human orders). Finally - if you can make it - simulate Aurora by green and green-blue lights moving around the game map? It might look bit strange, but... aurora is strange after all :D

6. Spying scandal - colonist with highest computer knowledge skill gets accused of spying. If he has high social skills - he can remain in the group, but for X days there are struggles between him and other members with high social skill as well as all of the members of opposite sex (this can be modeled by occasional fights or guy demolishing room of the "opponents", etc.). If he has low social skills - he gets exiled from the group.

7. Cannibalism - an event where one of the colonists (preferably: strong male) kills another member and eats parts of his body, than either hides it or cleans all traces leading to him. Got a 20% chance of being exposed and 80% of remaining hidden (should be modified by skills).
- If exposed he got 50% chances of exile or being killed by other colonists - should be affected by his social skills.
- If not exposed than he gets Prion Disease - which is hidden unless member goes through intense medical tests. Prion Disease cannot be cured, but can be used to force colonist into exile.
After X days he will strike again killing another colonist and eating his meat. Cycle repeats until 3rd time when he gets one of two diseases:
- Creutzfeldtâ€"Jakob Disease - causing memory loss (reduces one random skill to 0) than psychosis (where he will start running around activating / deactivating everything he can reach) and eventually death. Colonists should have random but very low chance of getting CJD from eating herd animals meat. There should be no cure, or it should be very difficult to obtain.
- Fatal Familial Insomnia - split into 2 stages: psychosis (as above), and dementia, where skills will slowly decrease until all are 0 and colonist dies. During dementia phase he cannot perform any advanced actions (basically he will walk around doing nothing). Again: No cure or very difficult to get.

8. Light critters - inspired by Stargate episode - you encounter lone light critter. He will follow colonist around for a while. Critter got an ability to phase through the doors. If critter finds some sweet food during its trip following colonist - it will consume it and escape.
Returning back 3 days later with few more critters which will follow random colonists. If any finds sweet food than all of them will go to it, consume any sweet food around and run away.
They'll return back 3 more days later, only now in a swarm of 10-15 and start moving around the colony. Same scenario - if any of them finds sweet food they all will come, eat it, and escape. This time not returning till next year, same month, same day.
There should be an option to allow shooting the critters. They cannot be killed, but if any is shot - all of them will run away for 6 days, and return in large group attacking all of the colonists until one of them is dead (they should do small damage per tick, and assign themselves to random colonists damaging them over time till one drops).
One of the alien devices found in a game should be able to capture a critter and use it as a lamp with a gentle animation of critter moving inside.

Quote from: TacoStorm on September 19, 2013, 07:20:24 PM
- WORM ATTACKS! Everybody likes the worms from dune. Games should have more of those.
I fully support that!  ;D

But things like time travel or zombies (we really need that even here?) or space marine drops (?! Wat?) are slight overkill IMHO.

In general though I think that it'd be great if there would be a choice of events that might not occur even if you play over 8 hours session. This way game will have a greater re-playability, which is definitely an important factor and something that can make it stand out.
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

WhackyRavenLand

Gotta think real hard on this one, cause a lot of good suggestions are already here.
On a different note though...this thread should be sticked. Yes? No?

RB

Astrakhan

Definitely should be stickied imo.

Semmy

How about roof collapses.

Something that seems to be bothering me about dwarf fortress all the time and about the looks of rimworld is that it seems no matter how large rooms are the roof never comes down.

No support structure nothing.
I could dig out a mountain without any type of support and just sit there and relax.

Maybe a good incident would be roof collapse.
You could dig your settlers out wich have a certain % of chance to be alive wounded or death.

The roof collapse could be simply calculated by the size of the room and the bigger it is the bigger the chance.
It should still be a really small chance or happening when using explosives or fighting outside earthquakes whatever.

Or the storyteller could throw it in
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

British

Quote from: Semmy on October 04, 2013, 05:50:52 PM
How about roof collapses.
That may or may not pertain to your proposal, but there's a whole discussion about Z-axis on KS at the moment (or, well, a few hours ago).