[1.0] Cocco81's Canned food

Started by Cocco81, October 27, 2018, 01:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocco81

C81 Canned food

Description:
This mod has the aim to help save fridge space in late game when food supplies may be huge.

The mod is currently XML only and adds the following items and relevant recipes (single and bulk versions) after researching the Food Canning tech (requires Packaged survival meal):

• Steel can (standard)
1x steel -> 5x  cans
4x steel -> 20x cans

Each can can store and extend life of 5x meat items or 5x vegetable items.

• Steel can (advanced)
1x steel + 1x psychoid leaves -> 5x  advanced cans
4x steel + 4x psychoid leaves -> 20x advanced cans

Each advanced can can store and preserve (fully prevents rotting) 5x meat items or 5x vegetable items.

• [Canned / Preserved] [Meat / Vegetables]
1x [normal / advanced] can + 6x  [meat / vegs] = 1x [Canned / Preserved] [meat / vegs]
4x [normal / advanced] can + 24x [meat / vegs] = 4x [Canned / Preserved] [meat / vegs]

Each can of food ingredients is equivalent to 5 vegs/meat items (i.e. half the dose required for a simple meal, or enough for a fine meal taking one of each type).
Different types of meat or vegetables can be mixed. 
Canning food requires the appropriate can and 6 (six) ingredients, as the space saving is achieved by taking only the best parts from food. Shelf life is 30 days for canned meat and 60 days for canned vegetables. Preserved ingredients never rot.

NOTE: cans (any type, empty or full) stack up to 150. Meaning that in the end space efficiency is 10x base game's (5x nutrition content per item, 2x stack size per tile).

Skill requirements
Crafting items requires some skill:

Machining table recipes                   Stoves recipes
Standard cans (1x)  : crafting  6         Canned food (1x)    : cooking   6
Standard cans (4x)  : crafting  8         Canned food (4x)    : cooking   8
Advanced cans (1x)  : crafting  8         Preserved food (1x) : cooking   8
Advanced cans (4x)  : crafting 10         Preserved food (1x) : cooking  10

Warnings, compatibility etc.

• Mod should be compatible with other mods, even those with similar functions.
  • Mod can be safely added mid-game.
  • Mod probably can not be removed from a savegame. Maybe it can if all empty cans, canned food and canning bills (production and cooking) are removed, but it will require testing. I'll let you know ASAP.
  • Human and insect meats are disabled from the meat canning recipes, as a mixed meat can would either lose the cannibalistic debuff or it would apply the debuff to all meat in the can (increasing food availability for cannibals).
  • If any mod introduces food which is more nutritious than vanilla meat or vegetables, it is advisable to disallow these foods from ingredients, or their extra nutrition will be lost (5 items will always be required).
  • If any mod introduces food which is less nutritious than vanilla meat or vegetables, it is advisable to disallow these foods from ingredients, as the canning process would create nutrition from scratch (see "cheating").
Author/Mod Team
Mod developed by Cocco81

Download
Laterst version can be downloaded here:
https://github.com/jacmoli/C81_CannedFood/releases
Mod is also available on Steam workshop here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1549382815

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

License
License is MIT Open Source and can be found in the LICENSE file in the zip. If you want to use the mod in a modpack you can do so, credit is welcome.
If you have any patch suggestion, bugfix etc. please tell me before releasing a new version of the mod. The best way is with a pull requerst on GitHub.

Cocco81

I just published a patch (for a missing tech prerequisite on stoves bills) and updated the download link, so now it will always lead to the GitHub releases archive containing all versions.

Marcus

Hi, great idea with that canning processes - I like the realistic approach where you need to produce an empty cans before you start preserving food, unlike the beer brewing in vanilla game. By the way can you adjust the brewing so that the bottles are needed for a beer making?

Canute

Don't forget plates and spoon for meals, and not to speak about to leave dirty dishes after a meal got finished.
Do you realy want this ?

Marcus

You forgot to mention forks, knives & thootpicks.. I came with the idea of bottles that's all.

Cocco81

Thank you all for the feedback and sorry for my late reply, however I dont feel like changing beer production for two reasons:

1. I'd be changing vanilla recipes, and I'd like to avoid that as far as possible
2. The empty can requirement, together with the loss of 16% of the food input (you put in 6x ingredients, get a can worth 5x ingredients), is to compensate the improved storage and the extended spoil time.

Feel free to provide other feedback though! It's really appreciated!