[MOD] (Alpha 5) Droids v0.5

Started by gertvv, June 08, 2014, 12:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex705

Quote from: NephilimNexus on June 13, 2014, 09:18:34 PM
Theory: Damage over time is due to starvation.

"But wait, droids don't eat!"

Exactly.  That's why they're starving.
Droid food? Microchips.

gertvv

Interesting theory, I'll look into it. Seems plausible because they don't take damage early on.

WolfgangPolska

I think you're right. Droids after few minutes start to take damage, but for some reason their effectivnes isn't lowered. And at least we can't see their needs menu, so we can't know if they starve or no. Never falling down hunger bar like centipedies from mechatronics mod have would be treatment.
(As always sorry for bad english ;) )
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

forsaken1111

Testing 0.3

Observed Behaviors:

1. Inactive droids placed on a charging pad continue charging when the pad loses power, such as if they were powered by a solar panel and while charging it became night. The pad shows the electrical bolt 'no power' sign but the droid is still charging.

2. Inactive droids placed on an unpowered pad also charge, so its not just a matter of losing power while charging. Any inactive droid placed on a pad will charge, regardless of the available power. Droid charging station shows Connected Rate: 0W but droid is still charging.

3. Active droids at low charge will move onto a droid charging station even if it is unpowered and will still charge.

4. Droids can open doors, both powered and unpowered. Yay!

5. A droid low on power (~5Wd) went to charge itself. It charged on an unpowered charging pad for a few seconds to around ~10Wd then left to continue hauling. I'd like to see them wait for a full or mostly full charge even if there are jobs to do. So far it's day 5 and droids have happily been charging themselves on a charging pad which has never had power.

6. Droids still take damage over time. Unsure if it is linked to a starvation mechanic, no way to tell really. Seems like it might be the case though as the 'make tired' debug tool does not work on droids but the 'make hungry' tool does seem to activate (puff of smoke).

7. I saw 2 Droids stand on the same charging pad to charge. When this happens they still seem to charge one at a time so the other is just waiting for no reason.

8. The two test droids eventually dropped to 21 health and went inactive but none of the colonists have repaired them. How does the repair work?

jaredis1

Quote from: gertvv on June 08, 2014, 12:02:58 PM
Droids v0.3:

• I would have liked to have the Droids built at the Machining table, but then I couldn't add the research requirement.

Ill see if i can make you a xml file to do that, i did that with my mod[/list]

nmid

Still trying it out, but my lone crafter is at 11.9 :x

I did note that crafting droid parts doesn't give any experience points to crafting.
Can you add that please?

Also, can you add an about file to your mod pack? It's nice seeing the description in game.
I did edit and create one myself, but it would be nice if you added one by default :).
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Morrigi

So are the droids really worth it, gameplay-wise, if they just self-destruct after a few minutes?

Also, a quick-and-dirty suggestion for droid "food": Machine that takes 1kW of power when active, and creates batteries out of metal + electricity.
Or just something that creates "energy orbs" out of thin air when powered, perhaps.

...I'm not sure if it's possible to keep colonists from eating them, though.

Psyckosama

still working on ideas for the production bench. But for now... here you go. Request though. Add a glow effect to the charging pad. ;)

I know they're not exactly high detail but IMHO that's one of the joys of the game. It's meant to be a generic little robot that has winks and nods of R2D2.

Probably will add better shading later but this is a start.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

nmid

I wanted to tweak my droids to carry more charge.. Could I do that?

Also, can I make a cleaning droid?
I basically wanted to add another backstory to either the existing Droid or make a new class of Droid.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

rabbitac195

are dead droids useless?
couse they can't be shut down.
droids always killed  during the battle

gertvv

Thanks a lot for all the testing and feedback guys, seems like I have some work to do. Too much social stuff going on this past weekend + Civ 5 coming out for Linux means I haven't done any RimWorld...

Also thanks a lot to Psyckosama for the graphics, I will try them out in game and see how well they fit. Definitely it is an improvement so I will include them in the next release! My feeling now is that the droid would fit even better with a slightly more "industrial" or "metal" look as now it is a bit more colorful than the base game perhaps?

forsaken1111

I agree, the Droid graphics are a bit colorful and don't match the theme.  Maybe something a bit darker?

Tynan

Not darker - just reduce the saturation.

Anyway, to fix them starving to death just add this:

<diet>NeverEats</diet>

between the <race> tags in their ThingDef.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

forsaken1111

Quote from: Tynan on June 16, 2014, 09:20:39 AM
Not darker - just reduce the saturation.

Anyway, to fix them starving to death just add this:

<diet>NeverEats</diet>

between the <race> tags in their ThingDef.
Testing that now and it does seem to work.

With that change the droids are now worth using. I have two of them hauling things for me so the colonists can do more important things.

If anyone is interested I attached the new Races_Droids.xml file to this post.

Replace the one in \Mods\Droids\Defs\ThingDefs

I hope gertvv doesn't mind me doing this, its just a one line change where I pasted in Tynan's tag. I will remove it if asked.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

gertvv

@Tynan / @forsaken1111: thanks, I'll include the fix in the next version  :)