New Lone Colonist Story Teller

Started by AwesumnisRawr188, June 08, 2014, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AwesumnisRawr188

Hey guys,

I was thinking there should be a more personal gamemode, so...

There should be a gamemode where you only have one colonist, that can do everything, but doesn't have any advantages in any skill, nor disadvantages.

You would crash on a small ship and it would be like other gamemodes, although easier to compensate for the one colonist.

Bandits would be far and few and it would be fun to have skme sort of stealth, like you can hide instead of fighting and getting your behind handed to you in a Muffalo skin bag.

I think it would be fun and add a more personal gamemode to the game.

I'm sure there's other things to work out, but I'm sure they'll be easy.

Coenmcj

So you get the one colonist and it's more along the lines of a sole survivor in a bleak world, you get no other colonists or slaves to assist you and it's better to play with tactics than that of the killbox?

I like the idea of an alternative.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

AwesumnisRawr188

Yes, but instead of being alone, I'd like it a lot more bleak. Like you can't rescue anyone or save them unless you are a doctor. No putting them in bed hoping they'll just heal. If you get shot, you'll die from blood loss, internal injuries, or infection, no questions asked.

There are other tribes and colonies and whatnot, but you can't recruit them. I suppose an endgame could be you joining them, but that's not thought out yet.

Tactics and hiding would be fun, as well as traps and places to hide.

GrimTrigger

well, this suggestion is in support of the OP's suggestion but it could also add to any of the other storytellers.

I think it would be interesting if, before raiders can drop in, or randomly attack from neighboring colonies, you would have to be spotted, or reveal yourself first.

For example, Space / Orbital Drop Raiders would not spawn until you've built your communications console and have essentially been broadcasting your location out.

Planet-side colonies, friend or foe, will not automatically know where you are.  They will send scouting parties (due to the observed crash landing) that will search through a region (randomly selected somehow?). These scouts will be colored gray (for unknown status), until they spot a colonist, at which point they will revert to their preset disposition of friend or foe.  I think it would make for interesting encounters and add a dynamic to the game.  Do I send an ambassador out to greet these people or greet them with a group armed to the teeth in the event that they're hostile.

Taking this one step further, if they ARE indeed hostile and you are unsuccessful in your attempt to kill/capture them, the survivor that has fled the area has now reported not only your position but that you are 'hostile' and later returns with a larger force.  If there are no survivors to your engagement, then either a search party is dispatched for the previously lost scouting party (potentially better equipped) or a raid size force is sent to scour the landscape for their lost scout party. I guess a 3rd, less likely option to include would be that they just forget about the scout party altogether and send another lightly armed recon team out again to survey the area.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: GrimTrigger on June 09, 2014, 04:38:27 PM
well, this suggestion is in support of the OP's suggestion but it could also add to any of the other storytellers.

I think it would be interesting if, before raiders can drop in, or randomly attack from neighboring colonies, you would have to be spotted, or reveal yourself first.

For example, Space / Orbital Drop Raiders would not spawn until you've built your communications console and have essentially been broadcasting your location out.

Planet-side colonies, friend or foe, will not automatically know where you are.  They will send scouting parties (due to the observed crash landing) that will search through a region (randomly selected somehow?). These scouts will be colored gray (for unknown status), until they spot a colonist, at which point they will revert to their preset disposition of friend or foe.  I think it would make for interesting encounters and add a dynamic to the game.  Do I send an ambassador out to greet these people or greet them with a group armed to the teeth in the event that they're hostile.

Taking this one step further, if they ARE indeed hostile and you are unsuccessful in your attempt to kill/capture them, the survivor that has fled the area has now reported not only your position but that you are 'hostile' and later returns with a larger force.  If there are no survivors to your engagement, then either a search party is dispatched for the previously lost scouting party (potentially better equipped) or a raid size force is sent to scour the landscape for their lost scout party. I guess a 3rd, less likely option to include would be that they just forget about the scout party altogether and send another lightly armed recon team out again to survey the area.

Really Cool idea.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

AwesumnisRawr188

Yes!

Your idea is truly awesome and greatly thought out.

This game desperately needs a sneak system now that I think about it.

StorymasterQ

So, in short, some sort of one-colonist-challenge storyteller? One colonist, no captures, no slaves, no drop pod.

Sounds awesome!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

AwesumnisRawr188

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 09, 2014, 08:55:26 PM
So, in short, some sort of one-colonist-challenge storyteller? One colonist, no captures, no slaves, no drop pod.

Sounds awesome!
Couldn't have said it better! I hope Tynan comments on this, as it would make my day that he's considered it.

There's plenty of details to iron out, and to make special characters just for the gamemode that can do everything.

Coenmcj

Well I would assume that the game would force you to play with a particular character type, eg. "Colonist" or "Entrepeneur"
This suggestion has certainly been expanded on with Grim's post, I must say, you make that sound even more awesome.

AwesumnisRawr188

Maybe just come out with a set of characters that correspond just to this storyteller/gamemode and they all have the same traits and skills, but different backstories.

SSS

Quote from: Coenmcj on June 10, 2014, 03:36:49 AM
Well I would assume that the game would force you to play with a particular character type, eg. "Colonist" or "Entrepeneur"
This suggestion has certainly been expanded on with Grim's post, I must say, you make that sound even more awesome.

I concur.

At first I was a bit skeptical, but Grim's post makes it sound awesome.

MuscularTeeth

Coenmcj

This idea loves you too, in the tough cleopatra kind of way... with bullets. :D

Mattorious

Just adding my 1+ here for more popularity, really cool idea.
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it