Overfarming

Started by BreadMan, March 17, 2018, 05:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BreadMan

Just a random idea that popped into my head. So in real life if you farm too much on one spot of land then the nutrients in the soil will be used up and later plants will find it harder to grow. This could work really well and add a bit more depth into farming, as you can just farm endlessly on one bit of soil. Ofcourse there needs to be a way to counteract this as this would just make things less fun. Manure! This adds another use to animals and some poo could be more fertile than another or something. Because usually you just end up killing the animals you don't need but this is a bit of incentive to keep them. My thoughts on how this would work is the ground has a few fertile points (IDK what to call them), fertile soil having more. And each time a crop is farmed off it, it goes down by one or however much. The dirt can get slightly greyer as the fertility is lost. But can be replenished by manure, could be collected and stored by a colonist or something I don't know.
So hope you like it!

Canute

Basicly it is good idea, but not a new one.
But when you concentrate that much on Soil, noone will ever use it and go straight for hydroponics.

So why not making the sowing harder, this would cover both growing zones and hydroponics.
Seed + fertilizer are needed to sow.

BreadMan

eh, possibly, but hydroponics are not that efficient, or at least in my experience. And i I wouldn't use them instead of normal farming.