Ty I really do adore the fact that we can end the game but....

Started by Ramsis, June 13, 2014, 06:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Okay I'll say it: we don't have much for our colonists! I know I know people say it all the time but it's true! I mean you are currently working on the siege system which is amazing and the rocket system but I'm still baffled how my little gentlemen are getting to this crazy level of technology when they just spent half a week struggling to chop down wood. Where is the option for those of us that want to just enjoy the game for as long as we can? Is there any chance we could ask you to spend like two days just slamming out really cool things to research into and new toys and what not; take that computer thing for your ship and let it control the lights in my base when nobody is in the room to save power for all I care, just something neat :D

Even if it's just a few days of carving out a new tier of tech or something that would be awesome! I do adore the mods but after awhile I just really want to play a long game of vanilla Rim.

Oh also Ty, while I have your attention can you go ahead and make TURRETS ATTACK HOSTILE ANIMALS?! Sorry, a lot of chatter recently from people wanting that small change and it makes sense.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

fla_hotrod

I, too, would like a continuous event (endless mode)  storyteller.  Just sayin'.   ;) 

Col_Jessep

I guess you can build the ship to end the game but you don't have to. Maybe tribes could target the build site of the ship specifically to "stop the evil metal dragon from hatching". That way we could have a nice, challenging endgame or a bit more leisure to play a long game.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Mattorious

Quote from: Col_Jessep on June 13, 2014, 08:15:20 PM
Maybe tribes could target the build site of the ship specifically to "stop the evil metal dragon from hatching". That way we could have a nice, challenging endgame or a bit more leisure to play a long game.

YES, YES, YES,

Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

SSS

Quote from: Col_Jessep on June 13, 2014, 08:15:20 PM
I guess you can build the ship to end the game but you don't have to. Maybe tribes could target the build site of the ship specifically to "stop the evil metal dragon from hatching". That way we could have a nice, challenging endgame or a bit more leisure to play a long game.

^This.

Mattorious

Col_Jessep, do you mind if I make your suggestion into it's own thread for more exposure? It's simply epic.
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Col_Jessep

Quote from: Mattorious on June 13, 2014, 08:50:43 PM
Col_Jessep, do you mind if I make your suggestion into it's own thread for more exposure? It's simply epic.
Please, go ahead. =3

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Mattorious

Battlemage15

Personally, I like my endgame vision of becoming the dominant power on the rim world, destroying or cowering all hostile factions, taking out the mechanoid hive and forging a strong alliance with the friendlier powers of the planet.  Kind of a soft endgame; you get a message saying 'yay, you won rim world by becoming the dominant force on the planet' and you can either retire or keep on playing endlessly.

Plunkett

I think whilst it is nice to have an endgame (that prevents me losing all my hours saying I'll start some work once I've finished this game - and being a sandbox game that is hard) but it also helps to actually progress and I think as long as the end game comes naturally and not too soon, being quite hard to get, t will work well.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Encode on June 14, 2014, 04:08:15 AM
Quote from: Battlemage15 on June 14, 2014, 12:55:16 AM
Personally, I like my endgame vision of becoming the dominant power on the rim world, destroying or cowering all hostile factions, taking out the mechanoid hive and forging a strong alliance with the friendlier powers of the planet.  Kind of a soft endgame; you get a message saying 'yay, you won rim world by becoming the dominant force on the planet' and you can either retire or keep on playing endlessly.
I agree with battlemage15, that the option to take the fight to the enemies seemed more gratifying as we've been on the side taking hits, other than it'd be great to see how/where they (re)produce so many raiders to send to their deaths, and destroying/crippling their base would give the much needed tranquility back to the rimworld.

They clearly use technology!!! TECHNOLOGY SOLVES EVERYTHING!!! SCIENCEEEEEE!!! (But seriously, good point)
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Olek

Building a ship and having the ability to fly to the enemy factions bases, and attacking their strongholds would be great, even flying to friendly factions to trade.

StorymasterQ

Question: Will the ship have a set number of sleep pods or can we add as many as we want?

The former would imply that only a select few is able to leave. That has got to bring about some controversy among the colonists.
The latter would mean that to get everyone aboard, you'll have to spend more time and resources. The savages will definitely have an advantage.

The latter could also be a bargaining chip with other factions. Bring us resources/Defend the ship/etc and you'll get a ticket out of this forsaken planet. But will we actually do it? Such drama!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 15, 2014, 11:28:44 PM
Question: Will the ship have a set number of sleep pods or can we add as many as we want?

The former would imply that only a select few is able to leave. That has got to bring about some controversy among the colonists.
The latter would mean that to get everyone aboard, you'll have to spend more time and resources. The savages will definitely have an advantage.

The latter could also be a bargaining chip with other factions. Bring us resources/Defend the ship/etc and you'll get a ticket out of this forsaken planet. But will we actually do it? Such drama!

As many as you want. You construct a custom ship from components.

To quickly report to the gist of this thread: the intent with the ship isn't to force the game to an ending. I realize that super-long games with long histories are interesting to people and fully intend to support these in the long term. There may be other endgames, or players can simply choose to go endlessly. Not sure how it'll pan out but this game isn't supposed to be structured like FTL.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ramsis

Quote from: Tynan on June 16, 2014, 11:58:48 AM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 15, 2014, 11:28:44 PM

As many as you want. You construct a custom ship from components.

To quickly report to the gist of this thread: the intent with the ship isn't to force the game to an ending. I realize that super-long games with long histories are interesting to people and fully intend to support these in the long term. There may be other endgames, or players can simply choose to go endlessly. Not sure how it'll pan out but this game isn't supposed to be structured like FTL.

Your game is a Dorflike to the highest degree and one highly respected by the Dwarf Fortress community, people want more options before they want an "end game."
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~