Ship Savages

Started by Mattorious, June 13, 2014, 09:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattorious

Okay, so this suggestion comes from a reply on this thread, and It's simply so epic that I have to make it into a thread.

So, if you follow the changelog, you would know that Tynan has added the first endgame event (besides dying off and losing), building a spaceship and shipping your colonists off to distant horizons. The issue is that simply building a ship from scratch is too easy (We're talking electrical geniuses who can build a comms console with raw ore here).

So, imagine this, the second you lay blueprints for a ship, a message pops up saying: "Warning, the primitive settlers on this rimworld will attack your ship in hordes to prevent 'the evil metal dragon from hatching', do you wish to continue?"

Suddenly, you have to deal with not only the resources necessary, but also the hordes of savages attacking your colony mercilessly. You now have to dispatch a building team and a defensive team all working in collaboration to get off this rock. Finally, when your ship is complete, imagine an endgame snapshot/cutscene/whatever of your ship taking off with savages waving torches/pila/bows frantically in terror.

Ty, we need this. Please.
-Mattorious (Thanks to Col_Jessep for the idea)
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it

Battlemage15

I like it, though I do think the attacks shouldn't be continuous; hoards of savages are no joke.  They can easily body over bullet you.  They should come in a wave as certain components are installed.  In fact, the psychic aspect of the ship parts can be what fills their shaman's dreams with visions of a horrible, metal dragon rising into the sky.

So, install the reactor; primitive attack.  Install the engine, primitive attack.  Install the computer, primitive attack.  I don't think they would care much about the frame or sleeping pod.  In fact, finishing the frame is what gives you the message; continuing construction will likely result in hostile primitives.  Not to mention people from settlements looking for a quick way off rim world (maybe the attack that comes before you install the last part; suddenly, raiders or even some folks from an otherwise friendly settlement).  I mean, after all, it's a way off the planet for crying out loud.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Battlemage15 on June 14, 2014, 01:04:10 AM
I like it, though I do think the attacks shouldn't be continuous; hoards of savages are no joke.  They can easily body over bullet you.  They should come in a wave as certain components are installed.  In fact, the psychic aspect of the ship parts can be what fills their shaman's dreams with visions of a horrible, metal dragon rising into the sky.

So, install the reactor; primitive attack.  Install the engine, primitive attack.  Install the computer, primitive attack.  I don't think they would care much about the frame or sleeping pod.  In fact, finishing the frame is what gives you the message; continuing construction will likely result in hostile primitives.  Not to mention people from settlements looking for a quick way off rim world (maybe the attack that comes before you install the last part; suddenly, raiders or even some folks from an otherwise friendly settlement).  I mean, after all, it's a way off the planet for crying out loud.

Other groups trying to steal your ship is fricken genius I APPROVE SO MUCH. (and crazy tribes people)
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Mattorious

I agree fully to what you're saying, with the wave system, you have as much time as you need to build up defenses before a savage ball of death. 

Also, 1+ to random raiders/pirate attacks trying hitch a ride. Let's get this idea heard! WE CAN DO DIS :D
Quote from: wooaa on December 11, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
I love the mindset of gamers. Given a new feature to help keep our people alive and make the game more realistic, the first thing we think of is a way to kill people with it