B18 Predator spawning problems

Started by silentlord, March 29, 2018, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentlord

hello.

having alot of issues with predators spawning inside my base and animal pens, i usually only learn of them when a predator has killed one of my baby animals. i am in the centre of the map and completely walled and sealed. yet getting these spawns in my base which is also at the centre of the map.

i do have mods, only 2 effecting animals, the vanilla animal overhaul and animal sex mod none of which touch the spawning locations i think, i have posted on both on steam.

just really frustrating as i spent alot of time building the walls to keep them out, and now every few days new predators appear inside my base walls  and animal pens.  can't grow my mammoth herd because no sooner are the calfs born, when i get a message about some random predator killing said calfs.

also im in an arid biome, but getting polar bears, snow foxes and panthers/cougars. not the sort of animals i would expect in this biome.

does anyone have an advice?

Calahan

Not sure why you are posting this in the support forum, since your issue is likely mod related, whereas support is primarily for people getting the vanilla game to work properly (which doesn't seem to be your issue). I've seen people report that animals can spawn inside perimeter walls when the walls are on the very edge, but these reports might be mod related as well. Either way moving this to... mod bugs I guess, since it certainly doesn't belong in support.

So please can you read the "How to Report a Mod Bug" thread that's pinned to the top of the mod bugs forum, and provide as much of the requested information as you can.

Quote from: silentlord on March 29, 2018, 11:47:44 AM
i do have mods, only 2 effecting animals, the vanilla animal overhaul and animal sex mod none of which touch the spawning locations i think,
No idea how many times I've seen people post saying "I've encountered a bug with X. I am using mods, but I don't think any of them affect X." only for bug X to be directly and solely mod related. But it's a fair number.

Mods bugs aren't just caused by the mod themselves but also due to clashes with other mods. So maybe the two mods you mention, on their own, don't cause animals to spawn in the middle of the map, but perhaps together (and/or in combination with whatever other mods you are using) they do cause it to happen. Basically if bug X can't be recreated in the vanilla game then it will always be mod related. And since I can't recall anyone reporting any B18 bugs where animals are spawning in the middle of the map (and B18 was released several months ago now, meaning more than enough time for such a significant bug to have been reported), your problem is almost certainly being caused by your mods and/your combination of mods.

Canute

Quote from: silentlord on March 29, 2018, 11:47:44 AM
does anyone have an advice?
Try to deactivate one of the mod's and play awhile to look if that still happen.
Then deactivate the other one.
But i would bet on "vanilla animal overhaul", since i use Animal Sex too and all predator's appear at the map border.

Ofcourse it can be a unwanted conflict with some other mod that cause it.

silentlord

@Calahan: i posted in support as i wanted support. i wasn't sure what the issue was, as theres been alot of changes to vanilla since i last played.

@Canute: thanks, it appears it only happens when both mods are added together, i deactivated wild animal sex mod as it was happening frequently during the too many prey events. since then i've had no issues.
i might just pop a message to both, theres gotta be a conflict somewhere.

Calahan

@ silentlord - Good to hear you managed to find the source of the problem.

And the upport forum is the official support forum intended for players who are having trouble getting their game to work or having problems with the game,, and are in need of technical support. Players encountering a problem in the game, is not a technical support issue (no matter how much has been added in patches). Such things are usually a question for General Discussion (if you are playing the vanilla game) and it's along the lines of "Should X be happening? Can someone explain why X is happening?".

If mods are being used then it certainly isn't a technical support issue, not least because there is no official support for mod related problems. So if mods are being used then the question should either be posted in mod bugs, or posted in the specific mod thread if you know what mod it was that added X / is causing X. General Discussion is probably okay as well if you are looking for more of a confirmation or answer as to "Why or should X be happening?", but not if you know you are encountering a bug (ie. You are getting log errors). Mod bugs being the obvious place to post it then.

Lots of people want support with the game, but there's a difference between what is and what isn't offered regarding official technical support. ie. mods are not covered.