Obliviousness?

Started by dodger0788, May 14, 2018, 03:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodger0788

I personally play maps for an extremely long time before things get too out of control and people die, so I usually end up with around 50ish colonists who have relations with each other and it's annoying how when someone's wife on the other side of the map dies everyone automatically knows even though they haven't seen her body or watched her die. This is especially annoying if there's a toxic fallout and one of your colonists dies outside while the rest are trapped inside and automatically have mental breaks from a colonist dying even though they haven't witnessed their death or seen a body.
What I'm trying to suggest is if no other colonists witness a death it could show up with "Missing" instead of dead and once a colonist sees the body whenever they walk past someone they spread the news until everyone knows that colonist has died. The debuff for a colonist with relation to you being missing would be about a quarter less than if they knew they were dead. This could make the game harder as you would try to keep your colonists from wandering over to the body and finding out the truth. You could also make the missing relation debuff grow overtime until it's more beneficial to just let the colonist see the body.
(I'm also going to publish this as a mod suggestion so if it doesn't become part of the base game there would potentially be a mod for it)

Tober6fire

If you do that with colonist you have to apply it with animals also.  ;D
Edit: Such as bound animals if you did not get what I ment
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

ruddthree

Explanation: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force."

antstar

Quote from: Tober6fire on May 15, 2018, 03:46:49 AM
If you do that with colonist you have to apply it with animals also.  ;D
Edit: Such as bound animals if you did not get what I ment
Yes please do this. The last thing you want when you have such a severe attack that a colonist is killed is for the bonded warg which is safely inside to start savaging the bleeding victims of the battle as they file back in

tmo97

i'd love it if the mood debuffs had some more nuanced reasoning behind them

im not an ascetic but if i crashed on some planet somewhere and i got to smith metal all day and then watch tv im not gonna start berserking and vomiting because my meal wasnt nice

also this post made me laugh its just so lame that they can smell it. its also like there's a detail missing, like, in a battle, you're not gonna give up because you saw your dad die, because your little brother is standing next to you and he's gonna die if you do that.

yes, you're devastated, no, not only psychopaths would keep fighting in that moment. maybe let the debuff kick in when they feel safe enough to vent their emotions.

its like, the debuff system came, then there were like 3 unpleasant things that could happen, not sleep, not eat, be hurt. later came relations, and then suddenly that became equally as relevant as all those three.

for instance, being naked is worse than having your mother hate you, and having eaten a bad meal from the floor is about equally as bad as your mother hating you, and your room looks bad, so even though there's food enough in the colony for ages, wealth all around, you're still gonna berserk and 'destroy' your sister's heart with human right hand.

the fact that they can smell their relatives dying is hilarious to me but it's like you wanted attention for the update you made, sincerely, it's weird, maybe add like 5 different variants or something so at least it's not so monotonous to be bothered by the same issue.
i mean, 1 debuff for someone dying? no other variables, just a flat "This much mood loss if &B relative dead"???? i am disaponet