[1.0](WIP) What The Hack?! - Mechanoid hacking

Started by Roolo, May 31, 2018, 04:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawrfisher

Too bad these pics are too big to do multiples in a post most the time

So far it seems fine performance wise aside from the mechs blew up the west side of my base -_-

[attachment deleted due to age]
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Madman666

Will post it here, since actual What the hack thread is more for feedback and news. Did some experimenting on sprites for modules:

What i was aiming for:

What i ended up with today:
Cleaning module. :P
Hauling arm.

rawrfisher

I basiclly just use this for posting random photos for laughs.
Professional jerk

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 18, 2018, 09:10:00 PM
Will post it here, since actual What the hack thread is more for feedback and news. Did some experimenting on sprites for modules:

What i was aiming for:

What i ended up with today:
Cleaning module. :P
Hauling arm.

I really like what you've done here. The hauling module is perfect to me as it is. The cleaning module is almost there. Maybe replace the broom with something more more robust/industrial? Maybe be inspired by a vacuum cleaner ^^? The reservoirs on it look good though.

Madman666

Well, i added a broom for chuckles anyways, so replace it by something vacuum looking? Will do.

rawrfisher

I found a goofy little bug

[attachment deleted due to age]
Professional jerk

Madman666

This bug was there since forever. Originally Medieval Times introduced catapults to use chunks as ammo in sieges, but they were limited to player only cause outlanders started to use them as well and Vindar couldn't fix it. He removed catapults from sieges, but forgot (or intentionally left) chunks to be used as ammo. When mortars were merged into one mortar with several ammo types - it broke and mortats started accepting chunks as ammo. Wasn't fixed since then apparently. I just comment out chunk patch in mod's files to avoid it, since i never use catapults anyway.

Also since its a bug that doesn't have anything to do with "What the hack" i'd say its kinda confusing to post it here.

rawrfisher

Its goofy
May as well post goofy stuff as well
Professional jerk

Madman666

Hm, sorry for the pause, Roolo. Was a bit under the weather yesterday.
Will this be any better?

And damn, i am still wondering what kind of thing should i do for mount module... A saddle would be way too wacky. A steel chair? Hm.

Madman666

By the way, i've also a small request for you. A portable mech disassembly table. Since its not that rare to encounter mechs while traveling, but the corpses are way too damn heavy to do anything with them. So what d be nice is to have a way to take 'em apart on the fly so to speak into much lighter mech parts. Like two tile wide folding low standing table in a form of a suitcase, when folded. Would be quite nice.

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 20, 2018, 09:38:32 AM
Hm, sorry for the pause, Roolo. Was a bit under the weather yesterday.
Will this be any better?

And damn, i am still wondering what kind of thing should i do for mount module... A saddle would be way too wacky. A steel chair? Hm.

^^ You created an actual vacuum cleaner, including the part that generates the suction. I wan't really specific to be fair, but I actually meant you could replace the broom with the pipe, and the endpart of a vacuum cleaner. But it's fine like this. Only request I have is to tone down that cyan colour a bit. It's a bit bright and in-game it'll stand out too much I think. You could consider using the same colour as plasteel, or just make it grey instead.
About the Giddy-up! module. A saddle could work if you make it look futuristic somehow. I think you can achieve that by creating actual saddle, recolour it, and add some pipes and wires. You could also consider making it similar to a motorcycle saddle. A chair (without legs) would also work, but make sure to include some high tech elements. Also mind that the colonist needs to control the mech somehow, so it's cool if something is included that makes that possible. It doesn't have to make a lot of sense, as long as it's fitting.

Quote from: Madman666 on September 20, 2018, 10:27:29 AM
By the way, i've also a small request for you. A portable mech disassembly table. Since its not that rare to encounter mechs while traveling, but the corpses are way too damn heavy to do anything with them. So what d be nice is to have a way to take 'em apart on the fly so to speak into much lighter mech parts. Like two tile wide folding low standing table in a form of a suitcase, when folded. Would be quite nice.

This is definitely something I'd like to add. I'm currently thinking about adding more ways so the player can actively get mech parts. One way would be to let the player attune the long range mineral scanner to mechanoid parts. Of course the parts won't be lying around, but they will be found on live deadly mechs. This would only really work if there's a more convenient way to scrap mechs while caravanning, so if I'd be implementing that, I'd also implement a portable disassembly table.

Madman666

Hm, in big size it doesn't look quite as ordinary as vacuum cleaner, but yeah, in 64x64 it does :P Here, i toned down cyan, should be better?

Also i really like the mech part LRMS search idea. It ll be quite nice to challenge yourself late game by hunting some derelict mechs for parts! Real nice.

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 20, 2018, 02:40:40 PM
Hm, in big size it doesn't look quite as ordinary as vacuum cleaner, but yeah, in 64x64 it does :P Here, i toned down cyan, should be better?

Better :). That's another sprite done. Doing great. I just edited my last post by the way (nothing important, just some additional pointers).

Madman666

Good, those were my first tries working in Illustrator, so i was kinda expecting it to turn out meh at best. Maybe i ll eventually improve them or someone offers better ones, but for now they ll do as placeholders. I'll try throwing something together to be Mechanoid Technosaddle or something...

Madman666

Errr, try 1.

Drills itself tight to mechanoid's outer shell, then allows direct control through neural interface linked to a controller pad, located on the left side of the techno saddle. The seat is lined with devilstrand for more backside comfort. :P