Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greep

Whee, had my first caravan raid since like, forever.  Ended up raiding a turreted area to claim a vano power cell and power armor helmet.  Apparently mortars just count as "turrets" on the caravan description, which was a bit scary since I wasn't expecting it, so I had to rush them.  A guy got hit with a long sword but I brought enough medicine. 

Worth it?  Maybe (3 guys out for 5 days, got raided again while they were out, risk of mortar death and swordy death), but it was fun :)  The infinite power cell is pretty nice for a cave fort so maybe it was worth doing *shrug*

[attachment deleted due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

BlueMarble007

Say @Tynan, I just found a ship chunk deep in a cave (see image), with mountain overhead. How did that get there? Is that intended behaviour?
https://imgur.com/a/ZoVUOXA

Teleblaster18

Impressions regarding perceived disparity between Sapper Raids vs. Sieges (Cassandra/Hard/Temperate Forest - Day 184, Colony Wealth Totaling ~76k):

My colony of 6 just encountered a Sapper Raid of 14 Pirates (2 toting grenades, 1 Incendiary, 1 Sniper Rifle, 1 Bolt-Action Rifle, various Shotguns and Machine Pistols).  My colonists were considerably outgunned, out-armored, outnumbered, and no defensive cover or choice of strategy was enough to overcome those advantages.  In 11 out of 12 tries, lasting over several hours, using different tactics, different weapons combinations, different defensive cover, etc. - 11 of 12 attempts to defeat the raid were a full colony wipe

A common occurence was the Sappers themselves throwing grenades into mixed piles of my colonists engaging in Melee with other pirates, with both Pirates and Colonists getting fragged and downed.  The Level 8 shooter Pirate equipped with a sniper rifle was regularly 1-shotting and downing colonists on the very first shot, with the bolt-action rifle toting Pirate having similar success.  Having any pawn using doors for cover seemed to be a bullet magnet...it felt like using doorways at all actually increased the chances of getting shot.

I restart from the save one minute prior to the Sapper Raid.

As expected, the game generates a raid at about the same time as before, with the identical colony wealth...this time, it's a Siege.  7 Pirates, relatively lightly armored, and similarly equpped regarding weapons (machine pistols, shotguns and revolvers).  I go out to engage them in the field before their supplies are dropped (Steel/Turrets/Components/Shells), and on Attempt 1, I manage to kill 6 and capture 1, with two minor casuaties on my side.  My cover was nothing more than some stone chunks, and my tactics were fairly primitive.

I'm not sure whether Sapper raids feel very OP at the moment, or whether Sieges feel similarly underpowered, but I'm perceiving a significant disparity in the threat levels of each.

jchavezriva

My night owl colonist is angry for being awake during the day, despite being in bed in a closed room...

It would make more sense if that debuff dissapeared when the colonist gets in bed instead of waiting for it to sleep.

His current work schedule said sleep at the time of the screenshot.

Radishgast

Quote from: rdshea3 on July 10, 2018, 06:14:34 PM
I just ran into a really strange and major bug. A pawn is instantly dying from non-lethal well bandaged wounds hours after the fact. It's a scyther blade cut that is suddenly becoming a 9999 scar without warning. Then having a leg disabled kills the pawn. Dev mode tool heal random instantly kills the pawn. Restore body part seems to have saved her.

Pictures and also debug log from it happening in dev mode.
https://imgur.com/a/ceEYnvj

I'm having this same major bug. My prisoner died from a stab wound that was already bandaged. They're currently counting down on an immunity from an infection; not sure if that's part of it?

seerdecker

I'm playing on Cassandra extreme, naked brutally.

I called my shot too close in the initial raid and allowed my colonist to get melee-ed. She got downed, and the raider left the map with her. I expected the end-game message. Instead, I got an "offer shelter" message, which I obviously agreed to.

Am I just extremely lucky or is this an intended feature?

Oblitus

Quote from: seerdecker on July 10, 2018, 07:51:07 PM
I'm playing on Cassandra extreme, naked brutally.

I called my shot too close in the initial raid and allowed my colonist to get melee-ed. She got downed, and the raider left the map with her. I expected the end-game message. Instead, I got an "offer shelter" message, which I obviously agreed to.

Am I just extremely lucky or is this an intended feature?
Technically, there is no game over condition. You can continue playing even without pawns and wait for "wanderer joins" or "chased refugee" event.

DubskiDude

Quote from: Radishgast on July 10, 2018, 07:22:21 PM
Quote from: rdshea3 on July 10, 2018, 06:14:34 PM
I just ran into a really strange and major bug. A pawn is instantly dying from non-lethal well bandaged wounds hours after the fact. It's a scyther blade cut that is suddenly becoming a 9999 scar without warning. Then having a leg disabled kills the pawn. Dev mode tool heal random instantly kills the pawn. Restore body part seems to have saved her.

Pictures and also debug log from it happening in dev mode.
https://imgur.com/a/ceEYnvj

I'm having this same major bug. My prisoner died from a stab wound that was already bandaged. They're currently counting down on an immunity from an infection; not sure if that's part of it?

Yep, today one of my colonists died from a bandaged shotgun wound to the leg. Something is up.

jchavezriva

A colonist got cheated on with a friend of her. Both are still good friends while the hate on the ex fiance is at -100.

Shouldnt the cheated one get a big social debuff with the cheating friend as well?

Zombull

Researching seems really fast at higher levels. Cassandra blessed me with a level 11 burning passion researcher with a level 16 researcher who isn't good for much else. She turns the crank on the research table at remarkable speed. In no time I'm researching tech I have no intention of using for several quadrums at least.

MoronicCinamun

I'm loving the changes, I think the new armor system and weapon overhaul is a huge step in the right direction.
I still have some feedback/suggestions:

• Many values of course need some reworking, especially penetration and stopping power. While I can see that balance is more important than realism, the lighter guns should still have at least *some* stopping power, I'd think a pistol would be able to at least stagger a rat.
  • The pump shotgun still feels bad, basically a worse revolver. It's penetration of 9 is really weird, as it's less than even a bare fist or bashing with the shotgun's stock  :D. I like that it has a lot of stopping power, perhaps it should have even more damage while keeping the penetration very low to really carve out its niche. Or maybe just have it actually fire 8 weak, poorly penetrating shots at once; the new penetration system should make such a thing balanced (maybe even 0 or "negative" penetration?) in a way that makes it distinct from say a heavy smg
  • Others have touched on the melee weapons being too simplified; I'm not as well versed in them, but having them all have a default speed of 2 seems a little too much, as it makes them for the most part strict upgrades which seems out of the spirit of the game. Also I still can't tell what this "weapon melee bulk" stat actually does, I've yet to see anyone demonstrate what it actually does. I do like though how guns can't be fired in melee.
  • Again, I've seen others mention clothing being too simplified; I do think a lot of the new balance is a step in the right direction, some things may still be a little much, for example how parkas are basically just strictly better jackets now (minus the cost and such, which aren't that big a deal)

All-in-all, the changes are certainly a lot of good thus far, especially with the animals (I GET A WARNING WHEN I GET HUNTED NOW, YAY!). The new faction system is a massive improvement, now it actually matters in a way that isn't just "donate tons of money and you'll forgive all the slaves we took from you lmao". Yet to actually get a caravan going due to being snowed in, but soon we shall embark to kill some bandits.

PleaseBro

Quote from: jchavezriva on July 10, 2018, 08:02:40 PM
A colonist got cheated on with a friend of her. Both are still good friends while the hate on the ex fiance is at -100.

Shouldnt the cheated one get a big social debuff with the cheating friend as well?

No I don't think it should always do that, maybe like 50% of the time.

PleaseBro

Does shooting skill affect mortars or is there anywhere to make them more accurate or do you have to compensate with just more and more till all your colonists have a mortar to man on a siege?

It would be nice if there was some way to get more accurate mortars or something.

Wildfire628

I had a raid come in with a single raider with nimble, 5 melee, 2% blunt protection, and a 20% revolver vs my naked brawler, 7 melee, and a wooden club. It went about how I was expecting and it came down to whoever got the last hit in would win.

Nimble is an interesting, albeit niche, trait. However, It seems to be extremely powerful within that niche. Granted it does fall off at level 20 melee, with the non-nimble having 30% dodge and the nimble at 38%, but as it stands now nimble takes the crown as the premier melee trait in my mind and I would choose it over brawler every time for a melee pawn.

East

Quote from: PleaseBro on July 10, 2018, 08:34:02 PM
Does shooting skill affect mortars or is there anywhere to make them more accurate or do you have to compensate with just more and more till all your colonists have a mortar to man on a siege?

It would be nice if there was some way to get more accurate mortars or something.

The mortar is strong enough.
Clearly the accuracy rate is low. However, damage and range and Area Effect are very large. If you hit one or two of them somehow, you can win the fight.
Many people use one while testing the mortar. It is awfully useless. But if you shoot more than four mortars at the same time, it will show very high accuracy. In a safe place!
The rain of death from the sky!
The mortar is beautiful. great. cool.
In the Korean rimworld community, mortars are called god-mortar. If you want to know why you call it, try 10 or more mortars.