Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greep

That actually is pretty insane even for the ship launch, although normal for the final 24 hours.  Apparently there isn't much in the way of minimum time between raid checks.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

JavaWho

yeah, had it been last 24 hours of ship i would totally get it but it was the first 24 hours

username2

played a few goes of 1.0, all in all really really awesome improvements. the overall pacing from tribal to modern much improved, base construction and crafts flows much better.

few comments based on gameplay:

- please please give more love to traders and their overall positive impact on the game:

Traders are such a joyful event that i am not sure why its being held back so much.
1. its one of the only options for a three sided war.
2. it can be a big motivator to mine something other than steel early game
3. will create interest and links very well with caravaning which is not so hot right now.

i think its tragic that trader events dont happen more often, to the tune of every few days.

- please please give more love to raids. raids early scale too linearly and are too far apart so get very "computer generated" feeling. and i play randy random extreme.
Need way more, weaker, raids.
if today you send strength .8 to 1.2 every X time, add 2-3 minor raids in between with strength .4-.6. I have a lot more animal attacks, but those are not raids in my book and need humanoid opponents

- make caravaning easier/more appealing. Havent had a level 8 animal trainer/food/muffalo combo available in the first year in any of my games but irrelevant quests keep coming.
1. pack animal training should go down to 4-5
2. cost of leaving base should go down
3. one rewad is not enough, would be great if the quest pop up would say something like: "this [QUEST] is expected to also hold a treasury with (steel/food/etc.)
4. assign fixed amount of villager per settlement and keep track of outgoing raids/caravans and expose to us so we have incentive to keep track of world and attack weak settlements

small things:
- move grave construction to highest priority, requires ton of multi tasking for construction  grave orders while everyone getting corpse debuffs.
- electricity requires way too much research. with not enough traders/villains theres a real dead zone of 1-2 seasons here while you wait for new options to unlo ck

anitram

Hello, new event, something I haven't seen so far.

A wimp, with melee over 10, started a social fight with a non-violent pawn and killed him. The pawn just dropped dead.
They started killing each other now, like packs and packs of man-hunting cats weren't enough.

DariusWolfe

Just a minor observation from my last game play session on Tainted clothing. I've gotten away from the whole side of things where it should be saleable; I just leave it on the corpse most of the time. But I was playing a modified naked-brutality start, and had a nude colonist strip the clothes off a corpse, thinking that it was better than going nude, right?

Nope. Nudity is a flat -6. Pants and shirt of tainted clothing is -5 each. It just seems odd that a pawn would rather be nude than wear tainted clothing; a flat -5 would be better, IMO.

Also, so a bit story: I decided, just being masochistic (I'm not normally, but I figured I'd see what happened) and tried a beyond-Naked Brutality start that I'm calling "Exiled to Die". It's naked brutality with a tribal start (so lowered research speed and less original tech) no visitors or trade caravans, no wanderer join event, increased recruit difficulty (50%); Oh, and a raid half a day after you arrive. I wasn't completely masochistic though, and played on my normal difficulty, Phoebe Medium.

I was doing okay, got a basic shelter (found a building with one gap, so all I had to do was build a door) and built a butcher table and was working on a stove with a deconstructed steel wall; No bed yet because  textiles were hard to come by, but I was working on it. Then the raid shows up. Dude's got 15s in both Ranged and Melee, where my girl's got like... 5 melee. He beats her unconscious easily, snatches her up and leaves. I'm like, 10 minutes into this game. So I say fuck it, and open a browser window on the other monitor and leave it running. I get another raid (the usual early one you get) who smashes the butcher table and stove, breaks a couple walls, and leaves. Crashed pod; bleeds out. Finally, Krueger shows up, being chased by enemies. He grabs the club my original colonist left behind, and manages to beat his pursuer to death.

Now, Krueger's a fucking mess. Mostly he can't cook, research or firefight; luckily the structure was stone, as there was a lightning storm that burned everything north of the building before the rain showed up. He's chemically fascinated, and isn't especially good at anything, but he's able to farm (badly) and forage, so he's eating raw berries, rice, and corn from a drop pod. An escape pod crashes, friendly! Fucker walks off after eating my food for most of a week. I let him, because I don't want to risk angering his faction. Finally a hostile drop pod comes, and I'm able to recruit her after an agonizing amount of time. She's able to research, so I get started on furniture, with advanced clothing up next; Electricity just seems painfully far away, so I'm not even bothering yet. I finally got a third when I captured another drop pod (and angered her faction right after taking up a nearby peace talks with them, oops).

Textiles are really hard to get early on, without refrigeration, because I hate to waste meat and meals to spoilage. My strategy is to get veggies as they rot very slowly, and only make a few meals at a time, unless there's meat, because meals spoil more slowly than meat. I only hunt small animals, and grab prey from the pair of panthers trotting around (well, until I managed to leg one of them when it started hunting my colonist; Still managed to fuck up all three of my colonists after I got sloppy with my pathing and it caught up to her; but then I had panther meat for a while) I tamed a single llama so I could get wool. I forgot they don't give milk anymore, but the wool allowed me to finally make bedrolls and clothing, once I finished research for it. Refrigeration is still not on the horizon soon, but I've learned to appreciate the passive cooler during two heat waves. Winter was mild since I'm in a year-round-growing region (completely randomed; the only thing I chose was my original colonist, fat lot of good that did me)

At this point, I'm feeling okay. Raids are still weak because I'm frankly pathetic; Manhunters are kinda crazy common, but either I get free meat, or everyone gets cabin fever until the animal falls asleep. The new predator hunting alert is weird, because half the time, the predator has moved on to closer prey before I even find it, except the one time mentioned above; but overall, I appreciate it. It's telling that, on my normal difficulty, a scenario designed to make Naked Brutality look easy, is still doable; Had that original raid not been an RNG'd no contest, I might have been able to still have my original pawn, but now everyone else is standing up under her exile curse fairly well, (though they're probably confused why no one seems to like them); And honestly, that feels right to me.

Tynan

New build!

Still lots to do over here, taking notes and tuning. Thank you so much to those who've given feedback. Please keep it coming.

I definitely appreciate being able to see the adaptation/fun points graphs and hearing the difficulty/storyteller of each given experience.

As always, the changelist is here for reference, but please try to stick to experience-based discussion for this thread.

---

Prisoner resistance: Added a new variable to prisoners called "resistance". It is reduced by a value for each interaction based on prisoner mood and warden stats. Once it hits zero, you can start making real recruitment attempts. If recruiter is inspired, resistance is eliminated in one stage.
Fixed/tuned various minor issues with pawn verbs/tools.
Rename tool commonality -> chanceFactor, fix bug in xml error handling.
Minor fixes to melee damage and injuries code.
Balance doomsday and triple rocket launcher.
Storyteller screen: Rename permadeath to committment mode vs reload anytime mode. Players must choose committment mode on or off. Storyteller scree now notes that you can change settings during play.
Added max gain to quality effect on market value per-quality level to stop crazy wealth gains from high-quality items with high base market values.
Some adjustments to MarketValue stats worker.
Remove often spurious error that appears during debug.
Adjust threat guarantee fraction of threatcycle times to guarantee threats consistently as designed.
Remove unused variables from DamageWatcher.
Reduce chance of wild animals setting off IEDs.
Rename Zone/Area tab to just Zone. LRMS can be tuned for steel. Pawns can sit while using long-range mineral scanner. Speed up tree sowing slightly. Reduce tortoise armor slightly. Reduce hive health to 130. Red letters do short 1x timespeed. Made plate armor lower tech and flak armor higher tech. Extend the time for auto undraft. Expand exclusion zone for watermill generators. Automatic rebuild does not apply outside home area. Fix: Insect spawned and cryptosleep enter/exit sounds are on camera instead of world.
We now accept empty translations as placeholders.
Moved translation report button to the language info box.
Fix: Translation handles don't handle apostrophes correctly.
Added accidentally removed translation handle from Tool.
Fixed StoryWatcher back compatibility bug.
Fixed native verbs errors. Native verbs now use a proper verb tracker.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

robno

Quote from: Tynan on July 16, 2018, 03:24:41 AM

Storyteller screen: Rename permadeath to committment mode vs reload anytime mode.
Go the whole hog and call them 'decent human being mode' and 'shitty savescummer mode'  ;D

jk, I think this is a good change to steer new players in the right direction. I used to play without permadeath and it took something out of the game for me. I think new players won't necessarily understand RimWorld is not just a colony builder until they try with permadeath on.

I will mention that commitment is spelt 'commitment', not 'committment'.

I like the changes to watermills, they were too much of an easy option before. You could easily get away with making them one tile even larger, but it seems like a good compromise. I'm repositioning all of my watermills, and I saw the graphical bug again (power grid remains visible).

Quote from: Oblitus on July 16, 2018, 04:08:10 AM
Also, making no default is a bad UI design.
I don't think this is necessarily true. There's no default for difficulty, and nor should there be. Different people have different playstyles, but this decision makes it clear that it is a consideration for everyone, not just extreme hardcore players. When people see 'Ironman' or 'Permadeath', I think it might intimidate them.

P.S. - I like the Luke Skywalker reference in the tooltip. I agree with YokoZar that they are missable if you don't know to look for them, maybe reduce hovertip time to 0.2 seconds or something small like that.

YokoZar

I love the new difficulty descriptions and how the player is forced to choose commitment mode or enable reloading.  Two quick comments on the interface:

If you don't make a choice, the error message telling you what to do is in the upper left corner of the screen, detached and slightly easy to miss on your first time.  Consider making this a bit more noticeable -- such as by having the words flash.  If all else fails, consider a popup message.  You don't want to risk someone getting stuck on their first attempt to start a game.

Secondly, the tool tips around the options are missable -- rather than making them hover text that takes a few seconds to appear, just put the text right in the main window in a dedicated place.

Oblitus

The scythers are now insane. They just shrug off most attacks, and even ones that pass through armor can't do much damage. Deadfall traps are the only thing that counters them, but without them... Had two decent shooters with Orassan rifles (and they are serious stuff, not vanilla pea shooters) and one armored melee (flak set plus devilstrand) against one scyther, and still, melee got severe wounds. They tear turrets apart easily (they are too fast for autocannons, and mini-turrets just don't have a punch to pierce armor).

JohnLG

Here's my adaptation graph/base setup.  It's on Cassandra extreme with naked brutality start.  I've had one relationship/marriage form during the run and one death (you can probably guess who the death was).  Some of the recent raids have been pretty intimidating, and their strategy of often splitting up has probably been the only thing preventing me from taking more losses.  I think the last raid outnumbered me 28 to 11 and had 3 or 4 doomsday/triple rocket launchers and a bunch of power armor.  I need to get some power armor, I've been kinda lazy about certain things and couldn't get research started until like a year into the game.

One thing I don't like about this arid shrubland I'm in is how barren it is.  There's only a few pieces of grass and not a single wild tree despite me not having harvested any in two years.  I feel like this biome used to have a lot more plant life in the past.

[attachment deleted due to age]

robno

Quote from: JohnLG on July 16, 2018, 04:34:44 AM
Here's my adaptation graph/base setup.  It's on Cassandra extreme with naked brutality start.  I've had one relationship/marriage form during the run and one death (you can probably guess who the death was).  Some of the recent raids have been pretty intimidating, and their strategy of often splitting up has probably been the only thing preventing me from taking more losses.  I think the last raid outnumbered me 28 to 11 and had 3 or 4 doomsday/triple rocket launchers and a bunch of power armor.  I need to get some power armor, I've been kinda lazy about certain things and couldn't get research started until like a year into the game.

One thing I don't like about this arid shrubland I'm in is how barren it is.  There's only a few pieces of grass and not a single wild tree despite me not having harvested any in two years.  I feel like this biome used to have a lot more plant life in the past.

Yeah, my last 1.0 playthrough was arid shrubland and there are barely any trees. Given the long tree planting time, the only way to survive was to get two exceptional growers; I don't think you could easily survive without a 10+ growing skill. I feel like this biome (which used to be one of the easiest) is now much closer to desert difficulty. That may not be undesired, but I think it's one of the favourites (its aesthetic fits with the original RimWorld feel) and this might put people off who aren't used to full-time forestry. The cold biomes (I've tried Cold bog) seem comparatively much easier than the hot.

Note: my arid playthrough was with naked brutality, but a tribal (Cassandra Rough). This drastically increases the wood needs (for the cold box and the fuel for a stove) but also allows planting from the start. I'm not sure how it would be for NB with an outlander start.

On power: in general, if you have a river start, you are foolish not to use as many water mills as possible. It avoids all of the cost, research and risk of batteries, which are required to make wind turbines viable. However, I haven't fully experienced the larger exclusion boundary, so that might have changed things.

Madman666

- LRMS can be tuned for steel.

Holy crap. I lived to see this day! Finally.

Emulsion

Quote from: mcduff on July 15, 2018, 04:09:58 PM
As regards some of the earlier discussion re pawns etc, I would also like to add support for the "more carrot than stick" approach to colonist relations.

It would be great to see some positive buffs from having a lot of friends/negatives from having too many rivals.

It would also be nice to see something like a "cohesive" or "close knit" colony-wide buff. If you have a small group of pawns who've been together for a while it would make sense for them to feel close to each other and get a positive buff from being around each other. It would also mean that adding a whole bunch of new pawns would bring that mood down because it suddenly disrupts that friendship group.

It would be good to have reasons to check out to see how your pawns are getting along and to see if there are any disruptive elements that are doing more harm than good.

Some other things that would be interesting:

Make it so that the "refugee" event can spawn more than one pawn, for eg a pair of lovers or friends. This would be interesting because you could end up with, say, a great doctor and her depressive, alcoholic husband or something.

If there's a relationship in another clan, make it so that pawns could decide they want to go join them. This could be where a pawn asks to join you, or also where one of your pawns wants to leave to go be with their relations, perhaps with a mechanic where you can ask the other faction if they would be willing to let that pawn come over instead.

+1 for all of this!

Some other things:
I'd really like traders from factions who are enemies of each other being able to fight it off on our map again! I loved this feature in A17!
Maybe, like someone suggested, with a small relations drop for 'letting those awful people in' to compensate for, not guaranteed, benefits like loot and rescue-buffs.

In regards of hunting boomalopes, someone mentioned, it really does feel too cheap right now because nobody can get burnt and the fire watcher kicks in way too early (a mod I always use in final releases just disables this feature).
I can make it rain on purpose just by hunting boomalopes, that kills immersion in my opinion. (Maybe phoebe is extra generous with this, I haven't tried any other storyteller yet in 1.0)

In regards of storytellers and the soft cap for colonists: it feels a little odd that I got a lot of rescuing missions, refugee/wanderer joins events until I reached 12 colonists. Then every opportunity just stopped happening even though I lost one colonist (thanks to lancers dropping right beside him on the other edge of the map) half a year ago. I am in year 7 now, I think. Maybe I have to raid some outposts for new recruits.

I am playing on the second highest difficulty, I think it's called 'hard' now.. (I hope the change to the terms serves its purpose, I really am a fan of the old ones)
On this difficulty phoebe feels relatively easy. I really don't get a lot of raids, maybe too few.

One event I really liked:
I got a toxic fallout lasting for 10 days which was really a nice experience because I was so well stacked up on food that I wouldn't have thought it would become an issue again (playing rainforest, year-round growing). And it really brought my research forward, being stuck inside :-)
During the fallout a poison ship fell out of the sky and I decided to shoot it with mortars. As soon as the mechs popped out (2 scythers and 6 centipedes, 2 with inferno cannons), allies (8 in total I think) dropped to 'help me out' which was nice at first but they dropped so randomly scattered that almost everyone of them got killed all alone in the field (I managed to rescue one and one managed to flee). I killed the mechs and ended up with relations at -12 with my former allies, I think they shouldn't blame me but themselves for being so stupid ;-) but it's alright, I want to leave soon anyway.

I didn't think that I'd want to build the ship but phoebe didn't give me lots of quests recently so I got a little bored and now I want to push for the last epic fights.
I read something about 'a quest a weak' if i remember correctly but even if it was one a season it's not happening in my game (but I started this colony a lot of builds way back so it really could just be my game).
In this regard: big thanks to making the builds save-compatible because when I like a colony I tend to play it for a long time, if it survives of course and otherwise I'd have to wait for the final version which would be torture seeing how addicted I am again to this game :-)

The performance is so much better now with the 64-bit in the late game with a lot of stuff laying around and lots of animals doing pathfinding and hauling things. Thank you for that!

A thing that I don't like is the colonists relations debuff for throwing emp grenades at someone, they say that this person 'harmed them' but that's not true, she actually helped them out against this huge caterpillar shaped mechs which otherwise would have dealt serious damage to everyone. Alright, I get it if they are not grateful for that but it feels awkward the way it is now.
I didn't pay attention enough to see if the EMPs disabled the shield belts, would be nice if they did.

Well, this got a lot longer than I intended. So, thanks for reading, if you did :-)

Tynan

Relations debuff from EMPing people is just a bug, don't worry we'll fix it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Broken Reality

New colony this time crashlanded, Cass - rough, large hills, temp forest 30 day grow period.

Things started out pretty rough two raids close together with already injured pawns meant one went down. The healing times from wounds felt longer. This playthrough I decided to accept every chased refugee, do prisoner missions and note down how many raiders and how many lived to be recruited and their traits. I wanted to see how things were now rather than my usual way of rejecting most refugees especially if I am already hurt. This time I accepted everything.

I had really bad luck on this run. No poison/psychic ship till the end of the second year, very few traders including trade ships, no ancient danger on my map (I checked before writing this). This made getting the multi analyser hard. In other playthroughs I have had up to 6 adv components at the same point in time. Luck can go both ways I guess. I've not yet really got this far down the research tree having played mostly tribal starts thus far. I needed bionics due to an early 9 point eye scar in one of the first raids and the later 2 feet and 2 legs (limb loss was a recurring theme even with everyone in heavy fur dusters and flak chest and legs, not had that much of an issue on my tribal runs with plate and devilstrand clothes.) I felt quite constrained in getting the bionics I needed and at the time of writing I still haven't made any due to lack of gold for a long time.

Here is the list of raids and pawns events I got and some notes about the ones I saw.

raid  - 1 tribe - lived - abrasive, too smart, indoorsman, captured, went berserk and died in the fight.

Escape pod - allied - self tended, walked off map before rescue

raid  - 1 tribe, died

escape pod  - frail ambrosia addict - left to die -  ugly, sanguine, no good skills

escape pod  - sanguine fast learner - spacer - captured - low but useful skills for my colony

raid  - 3 tribesmen - 2 dead - great memory, masochist, psychopath, - captured - only 2 flames

escape pod - ally - recued - beautiful fast walker - ok skills

chased refugee - accept - pyromanic, chem interest - terrible skills - regret accepting (6 man tribal raid foloowed him) he was captured by the raiders somehow

raid - 2 pirates - 1 dead other ran

raid - 4 outlanders - 2 dead 2 ran

incap refugee- guarded by 2 pigs - quick sleeper, body purist - good number of passios average skill lvl - sent al 4 colonists leaving base undefended except for colony yorkie named Friendship. Forgot the prisoner, return journey took 3 days (half a day to get there), prisoner starved to death n a pool of their own vomit.

raid - 4 tribesmen - all dead

incap refugee -  77 years old not going to take the risk on this one.

Food poisoning causes one colonist to get caught by manhunting ostriches, gets an infection in his foot, end up amputating.

raid - 5 outlanders - all dead

escape pod - space refugee - steadfast, greedy, psychic hypersensitive - captured

raid - 6 pirates - 4 dead 2 ran

Prisoner dies dring prison break

Raid - 7 pirates - 3 dead one downed 3 ran (downed pirate got up and on being clubbed with a rifle ge died as well)

raid - 6 sappers - 4 dead 2 ran

chased refugee - jealous, steadfast, lazy - decent passion and skills (doc and art, no dumb labor) - 8 outlanders chasing - 2 downed anc captured one to be released (depressive + low skills) rest died or fled

Raid - 7 outlanders - scattered drop pods - 1 downed rest dead 2 fled - gay, misandrist, greedy  - great skills and passions - captured for recruit.

Raid - 10 pirates in drop pods - 5 dead rest ran. Bad set up for the fight, no time to prepare meant two colonists got downed to grenades (poor positioning on my part)

poison ship - 2 scythers 2 lancers -

raid - 4 scythers drop pods scattered.

raid - 15 out landers split two groups 10 and 5 -  2 downed and captured one to be talked to the other released (chemical fascination, indoorsman, nightowl - making drugs for profit so he has to go) pretty, caful shooter, slowpoke - need a janitor

[attachment deleted due to age]