Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Looking great, Ludeon! We've had complaints, and you've solved a lot of them!
I'm loving some of the small things you did a lot. Sure, watermills and butcher spots are nice, but the increased viability of beer (fulfilling my fantasy of my space-moonshiners not being beat out by space-stoners in profit margins, at least somewhat) and wargs (now feeling like the ideal min/maxed pet) are greatly appreciated! Dropping the power consumption for the things that sit idle so much (lamps, turrets, vital monitors) are also amazing tweaks!

Lots of changes I dislike in a way but also understand and like in another, such as the removal of the shiv, removal of spacer weapons from humans, and crippling of battery capacity. I wouldn't change any of those, though I - as someone who never used shivs - will miss shivs. . . for some reason I can't explain.

Things I dislike? The culling of the mechanoid weapons, for one. I liked getting miniguns and scyther blades off those guys, made it worth the severe damage or death a single one of them could dish-out, and it added a neat layer that is also found in the tusk/horn you can get off of elephants or thrumbos. I'm iffy about the addition of the charge lance, as I can see it as being the reason the mechs had their weapons removed (you wanted to add it, but didn't want one mob to drop two great weapons, right?). It's odd to have a charge lance added that's also found on these unknowably-complex mechanoids when you can't craft AI cores, or artifacts. Additionally: Removing the ability to sell "tainted" apparel to traders. Ordinarily, I'd have no issue with the inability to sell blood-soaked shirts to a caravan trying to survive on a harsh planet with limited resources, but we really have no other alternative. It's usually not a viable idea, but you can smelt old weapons, but the only thing to do with tainted apparel is burn the stuff. At least being able to nab a couple textiles or make something like a dummy would be appreciated.
EDIT: Forgot to mention greenthumb! Why'd you have to get rid of that?

Overall though? I appreciate all the little changes. They add a lot to the game in total, and it's actually pretty nice to not see a bunch of big things that will be broken anyways while the iffy stuff stays broken.

P.S. Hey Tynan, you know you can make, like, bulleted lists and headings, right? Sure it's minor compared to all the work you did for the actual game everybody's bugging you to work on, but the post was a bit of an eyesore, and I can complain about anything.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

ReZpawner

You sadistic bastard. I have an interview tomorrow and I need to be rested...Is this all just payback for the "murdering and turning Tynan into a hat" thing on Reddit? I said I was sorry damnit!

James Swift

QuoteReduced artillery accuracy slightly
Why?! It can't hit an army of 20 in 5 hits, why reduce it even further?!

Raider Ace

Hey Tynan,

Thanks for uploading the unstable build, I'm excited to see what will come to be with the game by the time the stable 1.0 gets released. Keep up the good work!  ;D

P.S. I'd like to know if there will be things like animal drawn carts or small sailing vessels added in the stable 1.0.

Thanks again,
Ace

Gurdel

Thank you. This made my day.

At one point I thought I was reading a list of features for all my RimWorld mods. This is a great update.

Almantuxas

Just got my hands on 1.0 unstable (x64 executable), and the game is already sending errors.
EDIT: more errors (hurray!).
EDIT #2: and the errors don't stop coming and they don't stop coming, filling my output log with alot of nonsense.

[attachment deleted due to age]

roben

> alpaca [...] no longer nuzzle

But why? Real life alpacas nuzzle all the time! Plus, this change made my wife sad.

Alenerel

Quote-Back compatibility is a bit spotty, some buildings will vanish and you'll get errors here and there. We're still solving some back-compatibility issues. But, unmodded saves from B18 and probably A17 should load.

Why? Just forget about it and move into important things. Someone will eventually post a guide about how to update the save game.

Roolo

Quote from: Almantuxas on June 17, 2018, 05:10:06 AM
Just got my hands on 1.0 unstable (x64 executable), and the game is already sending errors.
EDIT: more errors (hurray!).
EDIT #2: and the errors don't stop coming and they don't stop coming, filling my output log with alot of nonsense.

You're loading the game with a ton of mods, which are all developed with B18 in mind. Of course that won't work. Disable the mods, and try to start a new game.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Tynan on June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM
-New incident: "Wild man wanders in"

Yes!!! Finally my dream has come true!! Thank you Tynan! :D

Now time to hunt some wild men with my cannibal colony...
making grand sculpture of tynan.

P.S I did test out the unstable development build. i gotta say i like the looks of the lancers and the charge lance now becoming equipable weapons by pawns other than mechanoids only and the looks and redesign for the mechanoids . But i'm gonna miss the sythers back in A14 or in B18 when they are trying to snipe me. :'( But luckily they are melee only now eating their own long-ranged medicine!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Alenerel

About how easy to have animals... I checked the game with hope but I dont see an essential feature. The hardest part for me is to know how many animals I have and since I have to count them manually I end up having as little animals as possible. Even trying to have only 20 huskies is a pain, cause they will reproduce and you will have to count them every now and then to make sure you dont have to many. You can guess how it goes with chicken, but not better...

So basically we need an animal counter... And if possible some kind of orientative information to know how much food they eat.

Almantuxas

Quote from: Roolo on June 17, 2018, 06:55:56 AM
You're loading the game with a ton of mods, which are all developed with B18 in mind. Of course that won't work. Disable the mods, and try to start a new game.
When I was loading the save (actually autosaving), Core was the only thing enabled in the Mods menu. Just because the log file's huge, doesn't mean I have many mods enabled.

Alenerel

If you saved the game with a ton of mods then the game will expect those mods and probably dont even work... I dont see where is the hard to understand thing. Best you can do is load the save in b18 without mods. If it loads, then save it again, without mods, then load it in 1.0. If it doesnt load in b18 without mods, then you should delete all modded things in your map.

henk

I never could grasp how could colonists build gun turrets whilst unable to craft a simple blunderbuss. @Tynan , is it possible/viable to make a "gun turret mount", on which you can mount any shooting weapon you buy/loot/craft? That would make much more sense than all those auto-turrets.

Alenerel

I have been thinking... For animals and plants, I have to made calculations with excel to know how many of them I need but then I thought... Why hide this information from the players?

The suggestion would be to show a stat in every animal and plant that says "yield nutrition/day" and "required nutrition/day". For plants it would be at 100% fertility, no need to include the math in every fertility.

For animals it needs to include all the time it needs until it gets into full maturity, then divide the nutrition provided (meat amount x 0.05) with that time to know the "yield nutrition/day". In animals it should also show how much "required nutrition/day" it needs.

This is cause what most makes me not go animals is how hard is to estimate what I need. How much hay? How many animals I need to support X colonist? etc. The same could be said for pawns and rice/potatoes tho.

This suggestion might be too number intensive, but I cannot come with any better. What Im sure is that we need some kind of orientative information to know how much a pawn or animal eats in term of plants or other animals, and how much they give.