Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bones

Has cleanness and how pawns produce dirty changed? Loaded a save on the last version and now everything is really dirty, can't clean it as fast as it becomes dirty and even when I clean the whole room manually it still says it is dirty even if there is just one hospital bed and the floor is made from silver.

EDIT: It seems there was some dirty under the bed and I could select it.

EDIT2: One suggestion would be to have an option to 'clean the room', so the pawn won't stop until the room is really clean, it would even be better if their work would prioritize that, instead of cleaning single patches of dirty, try to clean a room and then move to another.

rkade8583

Please, Tynan, don't forget about us low vision folks. Please allow us to mine an entire vein rather than having to spend too long with too much of a headache finding each individual tile... or make them easier to discern (steel and granite are particularly close together.)

Antaios

Quote from: Tynan on June 26, 2018, 08:24:39 AMin a RimWorld game it's entirely reasonable to never encounter a legendary. But if you do...
If you do you'll pay no more mind to it than any other piece of furniture or sculpture or whatever you make, because having one of such an item is reasonably insignificant in it's bonuses and effects.

It means nothing in terms of real game effects and just becomes a label you see sometimes, incredibly rarely.

It dangles like a carrot infront of every player, knowing it's there, it's possible - but when they get it, the one Legendary item they finally craft or get, what do they get?

A label, mostly. Maybe they can have one less piece of furniture in their rec room now, since the beauty is offset.

Decking out the entire colony with legendary beds is an event the colony specifically sets out to do. It takes days, and a ton of rebuilds, that builder works tirelessly to produce their best. Bedrooms are a mess, there's beds in the hallways and scrap wood everywhere. I'm much less likely to forget this, and I feel a lot more accomplishment for it, than if I got lucky on the rolls and managed to eek one out some day - promptly not knowing which pawn to give it to.

Having a crafter who practiced their craft for most of their life rightfully know their sh**, and create exceptional pieces of furniture for the entire colony? now that's interesting and meaningful. You'll remember that crafter, you'll be sad when you have to train up a new one (or you'll prepare an apprentice in advance).

Having one they're-currently-our-best crafter get lucky with an inspiration someday and create one legendary piece of furniture?
Eh, give it to Joe Shmuck, he's usually a bit sad, or sell it, it's worth a pretty penny.

Even if the bonus wasn't negligible enough that you'd need to outfit your entire colony with the item to make an impact, I always try to get rid of such one-shot items, one-use items, that one super crafted item. I'll be selling Legendaries frankly. I want a colony that doesn't depend on a random item I can't replace - the best way to ensure that, is to never use it in the first place.

Yoshida Keiji

I'm having trouble with the "Toggle visibility of roofs" since placing new structures are green and the already built roofs are also colored green, it makes it hard to place columns on rooms that have roof opening due to terrain obstructions, marsh soil, water... and I'm currently at night with half my colonists with Fibrous Mechanites... so don't ask me to wait until daylight for clarity.

Ser Kitteh

I have no issues with the Legendary items stuff. I've got a masterwork end table, bed, charge lance, and plasteel plate armor. Masterwork is fine for me. Legendary should be well, legendary as Tynan puts it.

As for the new armor system, I noticed that instead of deflection regarding my plated melee fighters, most of it translated to bruises and such. I suppose this is the point of the whole balance, but now I barely see any deflection! Surely my power armored soldier should have deflected some bullets. Bruises, that makes sense for flak vests. But short of a charge lance, a raider's dinky machine pistol should bounced a good chunk of the rounds off.

Difficulty: Cassandra Rough. +1 for the old names. It gave flavour, and that's fine. People learned what "rough" meant just fine before.

Bones

Just noticed this now, I got plague and the letter told me so that it affected one colonist.

Later I noticed one of my huskies was not moving from the rest spot, it got plague as well, it would be nice if the letter informed affected animals.

Yoshida Keiji

Just noticed this new problem:

Characters are now self-overdriving my own player command "Rest until healed", I got Lercha, both with Fibrous Mechanites & Malaria, he is 48 years old and my main builder, I watching him like a pro-stalker. He is also one of my medics, he just got up to try to patch up another colonists...this is worst than auto-undraft. Which still wasn't completely removed from the game...

Jibbles

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 26, 2018, 09:25:10 AM
Characters are now self-overdriving my own player command "Rest until healed"

Good luck.  Most of the commands ordered through right click isn't working out for me.

Bones

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 26, 2018, 09:25:10 AM

Characters are now self-overdriving my own player command "Rest until healed", I got Lercha, both with Fibrous Mechanites & Malaria, he is 48 years old and my main builder, I watching him like a pro-stalker. He is also one of my medics, he just got up to try to patch up another colonists...this is worst than auto-undraft. Which still wasn't completely removed from the game...

My plague guy stayed at bed all time, my rescued from a pod guy kept getting up all the time.

TheMeInTeam

Definitely against a difficulty curve.  I've never played below intense, have spent almost all of my time on extreme and wouldn't have it any other way.  I know at least one other player who followed the same progression.

I don't like outcomes purely RNG determinant as a design concept, player agency is crucial to games like this.  That said, after the food poisoning change there are tools in the game right now which allow tribal tech NB to survive nearly every possible sequence...the biggest threat is initial mood management.  Once the mechanics themselves stabilize (pawn movement, AI reactions, etc) I expect there will be plenty of players out there who can survive NB pretty reliably on extreme.

QuoteIf you're fighting 3 centipedes with bolt-action rifles something has gone very wrong somewhere.

Bolt action has 37 range, 5 more than miniguns (which take ages to wind up) and 10 more than inferno cannons/heavy charge blasters.  Centipedes aren't fast enough to close on that.

Once you've cleared out scythers/lancers, how is this not a solid choice for kiting centipedes?  Unless you want to spam door peek and kill them with stuff like revolvers (or whatever has armor pen now, need to test newest updates once I can), have a few snipers on hand, or can isolate them with EMP + maces/clubs I can't think of a more straightforward way to kill them than simply shooting them from out of their range until they die.

Yoshida Keiji

...which explains why is it that you have basic level problems to the point that you look like a new player...

XeoNovaDan

Just a quick thought: Shouldn't prioritising snow clearing actually prioritise all designated cells in an area in a similar fashion to how prioritising cleaning cleans other nearby dirty cells?

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 26, 2018, 10:32:46 AM
...which explains why is it that you have basic level problems to the point that you look like a new player...

Quoted statement doesn't indicate coherent rationale - what "basic level problems" justify locking players out of high difficulties arbitrarily?

Most of my complaints have been about one of two things:

- Inconsistency in implementation
- Lack of agency in rare cases (Most events in Rimworld have solid agency, and it has on average gotten better with time)

Some of these have been shared by others players and already addressed as 1.0 continues to be updated.

QuoteJust a quick thought: Shouldn't prioritising snow clearing actually prioritise all designated cells in an area in a similar fashion to how prioritising cleaning cleans other nearby dirty cells?

Manual cleaning is a bit of a problem in 1.0 too.  I can see that the room impressiveness is down.  I can turn on beauty and see exactly where the dirt is.  However when I try to right-click someone with cleaning allowed to clean it the game won't show "clean dirt" consistently in the drop down menu.  Usually this is because the dirt is under a bed or other piece of furniture.  Happens in a doorway sometimes too.

Considering this is important for both tend quality and cooking it's one of those times you really need the right click menu to display it.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on June 26, 2018, 10:55:54 AM
Just a quick thought: Shouldn't prioritising snow clearing actually prioritise all designated cells in an area in a similar fashion to how prioritising cleaning cleans other nearby dirty cells?

Technically speaking, the game is incorrect. When you "remove" snow, you are actually piling it up elsewhere. So if applied to the game "correctly" we should have something like a "small hill of snow" at a place designated by the player, and pawns would be "hauling" the snow there. Like making snow "stones"...

...and that would lead us to...igloo building in Ice Sheet!!! Oh ... I'm touching myself now...

Ramsis

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 26, 2018, 10:32:46 AM

Kenji just know if you keep being overly hostile to folks this will be your third ban, and that carries a cozy month or so. You need to chill, everyone is invited to play how they please at any skill level.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~