Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

New build going up! I did a pretty heavy rework to how recreation is handled, I hope it'll be a lot more understandable as well as less failure-prone from here on. Specifically, recreation requirements scale with expectations, the player gets a useful alert if he needs more recreation, and pawns won't spend a ton of time on recreation types they're already bored of.

Raw change log.

Added cocoa tree, for growing your own chocolate. This is a useful recreation source at high expectations levels. It takes a lot of grower skill and sowing time, as well as research.
Explain armor system better in armor rating stat.
Adjusted population intent balance slightly to not be so aggressive about adding people at very low populations.
Increase shotgun stagger, slightly buff autopistol and slightly debuff revolver.
When a recreation tolerance hits 50%, we now disable taking job of that recreation type until it falls to 30%. "Bored". So instead of endlessly doing the same recreation activity which they aren't getting anything from, pawns will have an unfulfilled recreation need instead until more variety of recreation is available.
On recreation tooltip, we now mention the recreation types available current expectations and tolerance fall rate.
Need recreation variety alert now lists kinds from items (chemical, gluttonous).
Added more detail to "need recreation variety" alert. It mentions current expectations level. It lists the recreation kinds extant on the current map, and which building they come from. It says you can check a building's recreation kinds in its stats.
Expectations and joy tolerance rework. Recreation tolerance drop per day now varies based on expectations. "Need recreation sources" alert now activates whenever there are not enough recreation sources for the specific expectations level on any PlayerHome map. Expectations levels are now defined by defs and queried from a central utility class.
Adjusted quest reward item quality generation.
We explain how to reorder colonist bar in a tooltip now.
Increase centipedes points cost (since their weapons are a bit better now). Sped up centipedes a bit.
Bomb explosion now has stopping power.
Fix 3460: Doe graphics look unusually big
Fix 3462: Watermill generator 'turbulence from another watermill' updating issues
Added flak jacket. Still using jacket art.
Refugees now get "Rescued" thought on rescued.
Reduced frequency of family members of colonists by 50%.
Trade quests now only accept normal or better quality items.
Fix: TryAppendRelationsWithColonistsInfo() doesn't append newlines correctly (no newlines before relationship info).
Bomb and Flame now have defaultArmorPenetration 0.05. Added DamageDef.defaultStoppingPower.
Animals tab now accepts nameless animals as a workaround for nameless animals bug.
Fix 3452: Memory leak detected: map (Map-0) is still live when it shouldn't be; this map will not be mentioned again
Caravan interface: "pause" -> "rest".
Overall armor calculations now correctly handle >100% armor ratings.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

FYI Build is taken back for now, there's a few errors I need to fix. Will be back up soon.

FrozenSnowFox

Well I managed to check the update out before you reverted it.  While I absolutely love the fact that we can now get our own chocolate its a bit weird to harvest trees and get ready to eat chocolate.  I think you should make it work like drugs so it needs to be refined into a usable product.

The flak jacket is a nice addition but with the introduction of all these flak protection items devilstrand has become largely useless.  The only item worth making now is a button down shirt, everything else has better protection items.  With devilstrands minimum plant skill of 10 and the 22.5 growing days its a very difficult crop to get grown.  I think most people will just go for flak items immediately and ignore devilstrand entirely.

One thing I noticed is the flak jacket is under tailoring but the flak pants are under machining.  So I imagine the flak jacket is most likely wrongly categorised.

Tynan

Error fixed, new build is up again.

Tynan

Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially hero first-time posters giving in-depth play reports. This kind of thing is extremely useful. I can't reply to each one individually but I am definitely reading each one carefully.

---

Also reminder, there is still a moratorium this thread against:

-Theorycrafting - Please write things related to specific up-to-date play experiences, pure theory is no good
-Open-ended ideas - Put em' in Suggestions please, especially if they don't relate specifically to 1.0
-Bugs - Please post a thread in Bugs forum

Posts of any of those three may get removed or moved to another forum. Thanks.

XeoNovaDan

I feel that the gold cost of royal beds should be increased; I'm only mid-game and I already have more than enough gold to give everybody royal beds, and then some (19 beds for 7 colonists). Granted, I did crack an ancient danger which contributed largely towards that, but this is still somewhat reasonably achievable.

biship

64 bit - nice. When work isn't looking I'll give it a go!

ashaffee

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on June 27, 2018, 05:59:42 AM
I feel that the gold cost of royal beds should be increased; I'm only mid-game and I already have more than enough gold to give everybody royal beds, and then some (19 beds for 7 colonists). Granted, I did crack an ancient danger which contributed largely towards that, but this is still somewhat reasonably achievable.

I actually couldn't afford them in almost every game because I spent all my gold on boinics. I even had a quest that rewarded 320 gold.

Pope

To be brief:
Thanks a lot for the 64 Bit version. This helps a lot.
A lot of improvements, which i am positive about. Some negative things as well.
BUT: I can't wait for stable release and my mods to be updated to have my personalised version of RimWorld again.

My Feedback based on topics:
Caravans:
- UI changes are good.
- Choosing a destination during planing helps a lot.
- Like the Caravan Forage abiliy.
- Information about terrain is good.
- Information during planing is very good.
- Traveling seems to be faster now.
- I have now more reasons to create trade caravans on my own in order to make some silver.
- Haven't tried pods yet.

Colony:
- Several Icons and objects look diffrent now. Visibly they fit all together ( like refinery and com station as example ).
- New Stack icons ( beside steel temporary change ) are nice too look at. The "shadow" 3d style on plasteel or silve as example.
- While on this topic: The new Silver icon is confusing. Got to get used to it..
- Production Objects ( tables ) are looking diffrent, but i still mixed up artistic table with stone block table.
- Reason for item deterioration helps to identify missed roofs.

Food:
- Food rot timer showing days instead of quadrums helps my plan and decisions on harvesting.

Crafting:
- Workbills changes are going good forward, but i will still prefer "Better Work Management Mod".
- Tailoring objects can be produced quicker as in B18.

Pawns:
- Intelligent hauling and clean up of stacks. solves the need for 2 mods.
- Recreation: Noticed too late, that i need at least 4 activies to have a happpy pawn. Solution: 3 items can be build quite fast and dont need high quality. Pin(dex), table/chair(social), chesstable/chair (Celebral), Automatic: wandering/pray(meditative).
- Clothing change time makes sense.
- The new "Timeframe" to treat diseases is good. Finaly a doctor can have his morning coffe.

Animals:
- Animal care is now a full time job, once over 30 Animals, for 1 Pawn. ( 5 haulers / 22 Milk animal jobs, 18 wool animal jobs )
Half of the doing is somehow to re-train all animals. Dont know if this is a feature, that animals loose memory or if it's a bug.
- I dislike that my Animal care taker uses chocolate for training.

Combat:
I haven't expericed anything extraordinary.
But i will switch to Combat Extended Mod as soone a Version is released. Sorry Tynan !

Economy:
The Economy statements are based on how hard it is to get the resources to produce 1 item and how much it is worth while selling.
- Creating normal and below qualtiy items for sale ( weapons, art and furniture ) is not worth it.
- Weapons are only worth selling if they are master quality.
- Art, especialy with marble, makes some good cash with exceptional or higher quality.
- The need for advanced components creates a new step / milestone for a technology access.

/Pope

Edit: No end-game 1.0 experience yet.

Tynan

nowise

I wish the predators would look a little farther for a meal. My rich explorer's cat got eaten by a wolf when there was a herd of pigs right around the corner. Later in the game my rich explorer got mauled by a different timber wolf when out on a recreational walk. I like how predators can be dangerous but I wish they wouldn't hang around our colony and eat our pets.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: nowise on June 27, 2018, 08:24:21 AM
I wish the predators would look a little farther for a meal. My rich explorer's cat got eaten by a wolf when there was a herd of pigs right around the corner. Later in the game my rich explorer got mauled by a different timber wolf when out on a recreational walk. I like how predators can be dangerous but I wish they wouldn't hang around our colony and eat our pets.

I like that they take the opportunity of the closest animal, pet, or human. However, I do agree they should maybe at least try to stay a little further from the activity of the base itself when possible. Seems more wild-animal-like to avoid contact until required.

Ser Kitteh

I too must wonder the need for flak jackets considering that devilstrand since forever has been the go to over-armor set that players invest in. What is then the point of devilstrand clothes?

While I appreciate the pod saying what's inside it, it needs a lot of work. I put a ton of pemmican and it keeps repeating pemmican like 5 times before getting to the meds. I was expecting something like the caravan window, but overall it's an improvement.

As for autocannons, the biggest factor of me not building them is my inability to see the "too close" radius. It gives me an overall radius sure, but not the smaller one that raiders can pass by. As for their effectiveness, they're good! I tested this by shoving 8 centipides in a big ol box and have four turrets shooting them at optimal range. The cannons eventually blew up, but they took down 6 of them quite handily. Their health is high enough to tank.

However this was a different case with enemy pawns that took cover. I put a single mercenary-heavy with a minigun behind some rocks and the man shot the cannon 8 times before nailing him twice. They hit HARD, taking off two limbs, but they're too inaccurate to be reliable. In short, I think their accuracy needs buffing, not their damage.

Also, double shots from both the charge rifle and assault rifle is very sad. Players I think prefer that burst shot, and seeing that go away hurts. I know balance and all that, but I wonder if both the AR and charge rifle can keep the three shot burst.

I am unsure about the chocolate. It's a late game snack, but at this point I might as well brew pekoe. Chocolate grows on trees whereas both hops and psychoid plants can be made inside an indoor greenhouse. I really have little reason to make chocolate considering tea gives a good enough buff and can be done easily and beer has the social interaction stuff. If it were cocoa on the other hand, I can see players doing them because players do love making rec rooms and serving warm cocoa.

Madman666

Yeah, with flak pants\jackets, there isn't much point in growing devilstrand. Well unless you wanna make money via clothing trade, i guess..

It'd be nice if devilstrand and especially hyperweave clothing could substitute for a decent light armor, without having to be at least masterwork to have some effect on survivability.

evilgiraffe666

Not sure if this is a bug or not, call it a suggestion.
Deer (doe/buck) don't have a stat for revenge chance on harmed/on tame fail. Is this because those stats are 0%? If so I think it would be clearer to show the 0% than have no stat.

I know in previous versions I've lost colonies to deer revenge, so I'm wary.
Although I did see this:
QuoteAdjusted chances of various animals going manhunter on failed taming attempts and on being harmed.
so they might genuinely be nicer.