Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tekuki

Been enjoying 1.0 alot of loving all these changes, even if the change get change in the next build but I just notice some thing, we don't have a axe weapon and I think it would be pretty cool to have a axe, maybe it do have brunt and half sharp depending on which axe it is. Just a random idea honesty cause I feel like I'm missing at axe to complete the weapon triangle (now i think I play too much fire emblem)

EdgarDruin

So, played for ages, never really posted, but I've grabbed the unstable 1.0 and played on cassandra rough using the single pawn start on a year-round growing site, further south.

Just to get this out of the way, I'm having a great time.  I love the game ... every time I come back to waste a few hours over the years I end up going down the rimworld rabbit hole and play for a few weeks again.

On to the other stuff ...

I've found it nearly impossible to keep standings up and have pretty much let all factions slide.

I couldn't start close to other factions due to the standing loss of doing that, I don't see many trade caravans making it hard to get standing, and the ones that did come have a *very* limited selection on what they offer and what they'll buy.

Every time I tried a caravan early, my pawns died of malaria.  Eventually I moved the slider to allow for more than one base and sent them with medicine along the way and save scummed a caravan to success.

The rain soaking wet debuff just sort of gets annoying, even at reduced level of 6 vs 10.  And it lasts 6 hours?  I went out in the pouring rain this morning to change a car seat, it's been an hour, I'm over it.  Maybe dusters could prevent that for rain, or duster + hat?  I went through a rainy period, it got pretty old, pretty fast.

The soaking wet debuff for pawns is also annoying when you plant next to a river.  If they hate water so much, maybe don't stand in it to harvest.  There is dry ground right over there, stand there to harvest.  I gave up and  built bridges around my growing area.

They also seem to give up on the bridge if the path takes them too far from it.  Again, if they hate water so much, the path over the bridge I built to get to the other side of the map should be super important to use for path finding.  I gave up and built more bridges on the map.

The wildlife tab is great, but led to the 'why are you soaking wet, I guess I'll build more bridges' when they'd go off to hunt things I selected from that tab and insisted on going through water to do it.

Rain and the soaking wet debuff has also expanded my use of roofs, which in turn forced me to expand my use of lights.  Can't have a roof over every outside path between buildings and no lights, then they're in the dark. :)

Cleaning is annoying.  I have to switch to manual priorities and set everyone to 1 on cleaning, let them deep clean the whole base, then switch back to the checked box priorities.  I typically do this after everyone has recovered from a raid or large fight where they track blood and dirt everywhere, then don't want to clean up.

I've tried to use manual priorities for everything, but it never seems to work out very well.  Odd things don't get done, so I switch back to check boxes, but then no one ever gets around to cleaning.  It seems odd that I have to have a pawn that only has that checked, a maid, that's all you get to do.  Don't get distracted, you clean.

If you walk into an area that's filthy, and you have clean ticked, tidy up a bit before moving on to the next thing maybe?

During my latest non-1.0 playthrough right before 1.0 came out, I'd learned how aggressive the insect infestations had become.  I used to build exclusively in mountains after my initial small wood house, but it seems an intentional decision to make that non playable or at least very risky.  You can cheese it with deep empty rooms, but even then, they'd instantly appear where you least want them to and kill someone before you could do something about it.

So, I like the indication of where they'll appear even if I dislike the change that makes mountain bases unplayable for me.  I get it, too easy to defend, and having a base in the open has made combat more interesting.

Anyhow, I was surprised to see them appear on my current playthrough, since I'm building out in the open this time, but then noticed that 2 or 3 tiles from a small hill I mined out have the 'under mountain' roof type.  That was all it took.  Was disappointed.  At least I was given a few seconds to evacuate before my first infestation ...

I have tons of world events I just ignore, rescues, trade, peace talks ... malaria and other diseases wiped out everyone, every time I tried to do anything on the world map early, other than one caravan I save scummed back far enough to avoid malaria, so yah, not sure how to travel more than a day away and not die unless I stop to build a base to deal with the constant threat of disease.  Maybe I was just unlucky.

I feel like the world map and events are an awesome addition but are so incredibly risky at this level that they aren't worth going for them ... I always look at them and think, well, maybe when I have a few more pawns, or more pawns that don't have a movement debuff on them.

One last thing, so many conditions, so many pawns that move slower and slower.  I have 11 at the moment, only 3 move at full speed.  Sending the only 3 healthy pawns I have out on a caravan that will likely die of disease so they move faster and have a higher chance of success ... one last reason not to use the world map.

Honestly, I risked those three last night to go get some mechanite serum, see if I can't fix a few of those movement debuffs, it was 5 days through mountains to get there ... chickens ambushed them, was a hard fight, but they prevailed, now to build a fire and roast some chickens for food before they head home (and likely die of malaria along the way!)

Thanks for the game, too much fun.

Ser Kitteh

Diseases are a pain, especially infections, but that's why you send a pawn with good meds and good doctoring skill. I always send one medic out for caravan. Once my caravan runner got the plague halfway through his route, but seeing as he had 8 doctor and 30 medicine, he was able to get home safely and heal.

Caravans are very much a mid-game thing. Early game if you know what you're doing. Buying some medicine from traders and keeping them for emergencies I find is a way to ensure safe caravan runs.

EdgarDruin

QuoteDiseases are a pain, especially infections, but that's why you send a pawn with good meds and good doctoring skill. I always send one medic out for caravan. Once my caravan runner got the plague halfway through his route, but seeing as he had 8 doctor and 30 medicine, he was able to get home safely and heal.

Maybe I don't understand this mechanic and caravans well enough, but will medicine get used as they travel if they have it and have someone good at medicine or do I need to stop somehow and treat them, then continue?

Ser Kitteh

Quote from: EdgarDruin on June 27, 2018, 10:41:15 AM

Maybe I don't understand this mechanic and caravans well enough, but will medicine get used as they travel if they have it and have someone good at medicine or do I need to stop somehow and treat them, then continue?

Yes they will! I'm not too sure who tends who, but medicine does get used. I assume the one with the highest Doctor skill does so.

Trallhatt

Quote from: EdgarDruin on June 27, 2018, 10:14:28 AM
Cleaning is annoying.  I have to switch to manual priorities

Spot on for me in real life :D everything is automatic except for boring shit like cleaning, i have to switch to "manual mode" and give an actual damn... It's mostly boring in the early game, now that i have 10+ colonists i think it works pretty well with a few that has cleaning on 1.

Mistrornge

A couple of things noted:
I had an animal trainer with a Labrador on follow.  Somehow the dog went through the intended door first and was running around in circles just outside the door while the pawn stalled and just stood.  Like he was waiting for the door to be clear.  I have only seen it twice (may happen more but I am unsure).
On the big map when moving caravans the "developer console" could not be cleared.  Had to increase the UI to 1.25 to be able to click buttons.  I attempted to clear, close and save (I think that is the third choice) but none removed it. 
Infection does seem pretty nasty all of a sudden.  As others mentioned I wait until late to travel, take a medic and good medicine.   Had some very close to death (and die as well).
My faction standings are going badly also.  If there is way to being them up other than selling items to towns one at a time it should have a tool tip.
I will keep plugging away. 

Zombull

I started a colony next to a huge river, planning to use watermills for power. However, the roughly 45 degree angle of the river made it very difficult to find places I could build them. Please consider allowing more of the building to be placed over water so they're a bit less frustrating to use on rivers that don't play by strict cardinal direction rules.

Dargaron

Time for some synthetic impressions with the 1.0 unstable:

Cassandra Rough (Sorry, I also prefer the old designations.), spawning on an Extreme Desert w/ a modified Rich Explorer (Charge Rifle, 40 Survival Meals, 450 Steel, 300 Wood, 30 Glitterworld Medicine, 30 Components and 30 Gold), and Refugee, Chased Refugee and Drop-Pod Refugee disabled.

Dargs the Prodigal Student landed on Wilfred's World in the year 5500 as part of a reality TV deal back home: get shot at a Rimworld with a generous supply package and a recorder implant, then get back home or die trying.

In the spring of 5501, a wild man wandered into the desert near Dargs' stronghold. Dargs was shocked when the man, who was clearly incapable of violence, decided to hunt The Most Dangerous Game!

Midway through year 5501, Dargs' Charge Rifle stopped firing in three-round bursts, and he was forced to rely on the two-shot setting. Dargs was sad: even though the two-shot burst did more damage per shot, the three-round burst had become like an old friend to him. (OOC: I much preferred the three-round burst over the new two-round burst. The two-round burst is a bit more flexible since it doesn't lock your character in place for as long, but three shots means three rolls to hit. It feels a lot more likely to wiff an entire volley with the new setup)

By spring of 5502, Dargs had largely set up his fortified compound. Steel was in short supply, since he was absolutely terrible at mining. The plan had been to recruit some locals with promises of "exposure" on the Glitterworld vid networks, but so far, only two raiders had survived their attacks on Dargs' stronghold; both of whom suffered from debilitating drug addictions. (OOC: I could just be having bad luck, but it seems like more raiders die outright in the 1.0 build.)

It took until the Fall of 5502 until Dargs could recruit a local worth mentioning: a Misandrist Cannibal named Kumiko. She still couldn't mine worth beans, but she had a passion for scientific pursuits, and Dargs was able to bribe her into joining with the prospect of her very own High Tech Research Bench (OOC: I swear, this is compensation for Bat in my last playthrough taking 2 years to recruit: I recruited Kumiko on the FIRST TRY! *Does a jig*)

It's the end of winter, 5502, and I've got Autocannons researched, along with the Smelter for a semi-decent steel supply. By next year, I hope to try out these new Autocannons on the poor saps who keep trying to get in the way of REALITY TELEVISION!

EDIT: Sorry, can't seem to find the Spoiler command. Am I missing something obvious? I tried both [S ][/S ] and [SPOILER][/SPOILER]

Garry

are ancient danger now without mechanoids? I start couple of games and right away open them up inside only some loot and cryptosleep caskets.If so its really can ease early game,I often found inside excellent power armor,lots of luciferium or some bionics parts

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Dargaron on June 27, 2018, 11:50:31 AM
Dargs was sad: even though the two-shot burst did more damage per shot, the three-round burst had become like an old friend to him.

I agree: the new two-shot system for both ARs just doesn't feel right, although it was necessary for the new armour system to stop them just hopelessly bouncing off of anything that may impose a minor challenge. That being said, the old setup would be very nice to have back, even if AP has to be forced to higher values than they should be.

Robc

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on June 27, 2018, 10:34:24 AM
Caravans are very much a mid-game thing. Early game if you know what you're doing. Buying some medicine from traders and keeping them for emergencies I find is a way to ensure safe caravan runs.

@1.0 Cass rough,  re: disease, infection, and misc while travelling in caravan

I have experienced some difficult loss of pawns to both disease and infection while on a caravan, my fault totally, but often this is a major buzz kill.  I'll spare the stories because they are common enough.  I am an experienced RW player and know the risks.  Two thoughts though:

1)  So many early offered quests provides the (unintended?) incentive: "The game gives me so many early quests, perhaps I am being a whimp in not taking more chances on the world map?"  ...and then crash, and I have killed another colony because I lose half or more of the pawns on an adventure for which I was ill prepared.  Consider reducing # of offered quests if a player has X many outstanding unexpired quests on the map.  Suggest that quests currently without expiration be given an expiration albeit a very long one (years).  Request option to "forget/decline/ignore" quests and remove them from the map after perhaps half or 3/4 of their lifetime is past (to prevent player quest shopping). 

2)  I dislike the "you don't have enough food" dialogue box for caravans but it is important for new players.  Here is a way to make it better.  Add 3 additional checks/ messages to the existing box (no new warning boxes please!).  2a)  Check medical skill level of pawns... msg "Warning:  the risk of disease and infection is very high for caravans, consider bringing a skilled medic with (7?) skill level before leaving."  2b)  Check # of meds... msg  "Warning:  the risk of disease and infection is very high for caravans, consider bringing at least (2x?) meds per pawn/ animal before leaving."  2c)  Check # of beds/bedrolls.  "Warning:  colonists will suffer a mood penalty while sleeping on the ground, consider bringing a bed or bedroll for each traveller to improve their mood." (EDIT:  There is also a substantial enough risk of increased infection for sleeping on ground, that could be mentioned too.)

EdgarDruin

Quote from: Zombull on June 27, 2018, 11:43:15 AM
I started a colony next to a huge river, planning to use watermills for power. However, the roughly 45 degree angle of the river made it very difficult to find places I could build them. Please consider allowing more of the building to be placed over water so they're a bit less frustrating to use on rivers that don't play by strict cardinal direction rules.

You can build a bridge on a few squares to even it out and a spot to place the water mill.  I had trouble finding a spot after the change in size and figured that out after a bit.

rdshen

I tried simplifying the situation to mitigate the thing I brought up earlier w/ pawns choosing bad bills to work on, but it kept showing up. So I took a picture to explain things better. This is an issue around bill choice as a whole for pawns, but it also has directly to do with the new 1.0 feature of pawn assigned bills.
Note please, getting 20 smithing isn't the primary focus here. It's a matter of misperforming AI.

https://imgur.com/a/ywpnJkd
Sorry I tried the image tag w/ the link but nothing is showing up.

I have exactly 2 smiths now. Ryan and Darya. They both sleep and eat about thirty tiles from their workbenches.
Ryan started on power armor assigned to him on the lower fabrication bench. Then he went to make a flak vest at the machining table. Then, when Darya was on break he began making components on the top fabrication bench.
Darya started on a charge rifle assigned to her on the top fabrication bench, then while on break the bench was taken and she started on flak pants on the machining table. Then she went to make components on the lower fabrication bench.

Half-Finished Bills:
Flak vest (Ryan)
Flak pants (Darya)
Shield Belt (Ryan, not worked on because of priority, expected behavior)
Power Armor (Ryan)
Charge Rifle (Darya)

Meanwhile both of them spend the entire day working on components. If I don't constantly micromanage them then this sort of thing happens and the work does not get done. If I do micromanage them, then I'm prioritizing manually and throwing off sleep/joy schedules. If I introduce more smiths into the equation, the situation only becomes worse. Sometimes, when the wrong person has reserved too many bills, I have to cancel those bills and waste some of the resources associated with them. This can happen over the course of a single in game day while I focus on something else.

Now this particular situation could be completely solved with a "Prioritize bills assigned specifically to me" Rule. However a "Prioritize bills I have started" rule would also be effective. The preemption rule is certainly more complex, and not entirely necessary, although it does seem like it could fit as default behavior.

Maxamilius

Really enjoying the new caravan system, and the much more valuable trade requests from other factions. Adds some nice variety to the game. However I feel like faction relation drop-off is too severe, most positive interactions with other factions give only +5, so to get -10 every year feels too punishing imo. Especially now that you need to have +80 to request trade caravans - this also seems pretty extreme. The idea of relation drop-off over time is good, but I think it should be reduced to -5 instead of -10. And maybe requesting caravans could be unlocked at +40. Unless there are other ways of befriending factions that I'm not aware of (I noticed the offer money option was removed from the comms console).

Another slight complaint, fulfilling distant trade requests with transport pods is a right pain. Is it possible to fulfill these requests without sending an actual person over? Sorry if I've overlooked that, but if not I think that should definitely be a feature. Atm I have to load the pods with the goods to be traded, a person, a muffalo to carry things, food for that person and muffalo, and steel and components to build enough pod launchers and pods at the other end. Then I launch nearby (but not within 4 tiles or they get mad!), settle, and caravan to the faction. Then caravan back, build the pods and launch home again. Thats a lot of faff.

This could make caravan-ing seem pointless when you could just use transport pods for everything - you could increase the resource cost of them to compensate for it. The convenience should come at a cost. Oh and also (again sorry if this already exists and I just haven't realised), we should be able to add more pods to a group while we are deciding the contents. It sucks to load it all then realise you've gone over the weight limit, meaning you have to cancel and start all over again with more pods selected.

Apart from those small criticisms, loving 1.0 so far!