Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Kitteh

Gift - since you're having a hard time, we'll help you out

Cloth tuque (normal)

The new gift mechanic is great in concept, not in execution.

Gfurst

Quote from: Boboid on June 30, 2018, 12:48:54 AM
Oh it's unquestionably exploiting the fact that the AI tries to find cover before opening fire. If it didn't that one guy with a bolt action rifle would've made my life hell.. Which is why I shot him with a charge lance at the start. I've done similar raids where the enemy has had 2-3 sniper rifles, it plays out the same because of the massive windup on the rifles.
As to pawn quality.. It's 5 years in a game where I've only recruited transhumanists with the intention of giving everyone a crapload of bionics. The result is that everyone does a LOT of shooting and work so they all end up being quite high quality.
https://imgur.com/a/AmntBkl
Another thing to point, I agree that this is more of a problem with AI than needing to nerf anything else. I've found more often than not weird AI in which enemy pawns would leave their defensive positions (behind sandbags, in range of turrets) to chase my pawns in the open field and be hopelessly killed. At which point I can just long range kill the turrets.
On one side it makes raiding hostile more feasible, on another it means bad tactical AI. However AI is difficulty to design and fine tune, but hopefully the devs are aware of that.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Ser Kitteh

So I don't know how I could have missed this, it's quite the error:

Reinstalling furniture falls under basic but UNINSTALLING furniture falls under Construction.

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or is everything deep drilled a bunch of slate chunks? I am seriously hurting for proper granite, but barring mining the entire mountain, why is everything drilled slate chunks? Even drilling on granite floors gets me slate chunks. I think this needs a serious rework.

Azrael_Itaru

Hello, a somewhat new player, already with thousands of hours logged, love this game.

I've only been playing tribals on 1.0 and haven't been able to progress much, so I don't have much to say about most of the changes since I haven't been able to reach most of them or have encountered them yet.

But one thing I wanted to mention is that since this is 1.0, some things that are "overlooked" should probably be mentioned, one of those things is that there is no way to see the stats of a weapon in-game until you already have made one. Is there a way to change that? To give the base stats of a normal quality weapon so you can compare and decide what might suit you better?

Aszh

Forced slowdown on every mortar shot is cancer. 

erdrik

Ive noticed that the people I rescue from escape pods will get up and leave the very moment they are capable of walking again. This happened in the beta as well, and was wondering if this is intentional.

8 times out of 10 the end result is the rescued person will get up before I can feed them, and due to their severe injuries gimping their movement speed, they will pass out long before reaching the edge of the map.

In one case I had to place an emergency medical sleep spot at the location of the passed out person three times before they were able to leave the map. In this case I had to feed them each time, but their age and injuries were so harsh that their hunger bar drained three times for that journey.

Shouldn't they at least wait until they can move properly rather than at all?
At least then when I use my medical supplies rescuing someone they can make it off the map on their own.

rdshen

Started a new game at the same time as my second post. Made it to mid-late game at this point going to summarize some notes

-> I finally figurd out how to take penox on caravans. You have to use drug schedules. Perhaps there should be a way to organize this without such a roundabout solution.

-> What's the point of yorkies? They seem outright worse than everything considering they don't seem to even hunt rats. Maybe increased nuzzle rate to make them worth keeping around? Also I think terriers are a bit more omnivorous than many dogs. Maybe having them able to eat certain wild plants like berries might be a buff?

->Had a bug after removing a waterwheel. Power lines stayed down underneath where the whaterwheel was, not where conduits were. Didn't seem to be functional just present in the power overlay.

->Autoturret doesn't show min range when placing now? It used to when they first came out and I was first building them.

->Inspirations seem to be more common later in the game as colonists become more skilled. Might be confirmation bias but I like that trend

->Cocoa trees take foooorever to grow/plant. I was worried yield would be low but I'm not doing terribly for choco after a couple yields. Also, if we have cocoa trees and iirc yayo is supposed to be cocaine, maybe a change in the production line? Could also add a cooking recipe to turn cocoa into chocolate.

->I had a drop pod lancer raid land in my sleeping quarters. Everyone got out with ample time thanks to the delay, except my dog which didn't wake up from the impact and I couldn't micro out. I think that drop pods should wake things up same as bullet impacts.

->This isn't clear. My colonist has a massive smokeleaf tolerance, does the consciousness hit also get reduced to 25%? It seems like the full hit is being calculated even with the massive tolerance.

->I'm having trouble finding uses for mortars. Half of this is because I've discovered how useful melee pawns are. Half of it is how often I spend pawns and resources on mortars and have them do nothing but friendly fire even ranged pawns. Idk how to fix that but I have a lot of trouble getting good use out of mortars. EMP mortars that generally don't friendly fire are the exception.

->Burning ticks off armor like an impact? I like the visual feedback, I don't think the fire is swinging in with a bat though

->I like the no shooting in melee, I think it's pretty silly it also applies for objects like drop ships.

->Colonists choose to sow trees even when large numbers of faster sowing crops need to be done. This is definitely open for debate but I figure trees should be lower prio same way deconstruct is lower prio than construct.

->I had an infestation that didn't spawn megaspiders until I hit the hives, thinking I had cleared it all out. I also noticed the hives were about 2 days from reproducing instead of like 6, which is why I bothered hitting them in the first place. Is this intentional? If so, nice.

->Moving deep drills is difficult because you have to unforbid them but in doing so you enable miners to reserve them and dig chunks you probably don't want. Perhaps they should be automatically powered off instead of forbidden?

->I do think it would be reasonable to lower the range of the heavy charge blaster on centipedes. I had a big bastion defense set up against them but in the end I had to take massive casualties to move most of my weaponry forward into shooting range, which basically meant I was doing the standard strategy except without ample preparation. This makes me kind of not want to worry about defenses at all, since the biggest threat can easily avoid them.

Edit: I almost forgot, armor seems like it's in a good place. Flak is good against things up to heavy charge blaster and charge lance, at which point they still occasionally block shots. Made some platemail for the tribal raids and my pawn was downed only with bruises.
It's really nice being able to see after the fight all the times your pawn was saved by armor. Having a medic with three bruises that can still tend is great. Before they mightve just had one big bleedy wound and you wouldn't have even known armor blocked 2.

Syrchalis

Storytime!

Just a short one. Once again I had to start over due to semi-corrupted save (it's not actually corrupted just EdB Prepare Carefully isn't working anymore since .1950 and you cannot remove the mod from an existing save).

Tribal, Temperate Forest, Large Hills, River

First trader caravan appears, a pirate trader with a slave "Walls" who is the mother of my researcher. I can't afford her, since she is 1800 silver and I just started out, plus she has bad stats and traits despite being the most expensive (wtf?). Worse yet, she is 43 and her son 41.

Okay, well, can't do nothing about it.

A few days later a trade caravan from the same faction came, now Walls was the LEADER of the caravan and not a slave anymore. And the caravan is a combat supplier. Damn, that must be one heck of a woman. From slave to caravan leader and also abolishing slavery as a whole just to ascend her caravan to combat suppliers.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Serina

Quote from: erdrik on June 30, 2018, 01:16:49 PM
Ive noticed that the people I rescue from escape pods will get up and leave the very moment they are capable of walking again. This happened in the beta as well, and was wondering if this is intentional.

Shouldn't they at least wait until they can move properly rather than at all?
At least then when I use my medical supplies rescuing someone they can make it off the map on their own.

I believe this has been mentioned by others as well, and I agree that it would be nice if the rescued pawns waited until they were in better health before they attempt to exit the map.

Since I typically only play tundra biome, I usually can't rescue pawns unless it's summer because they end up succumbing to hypothermia outside after trying to get up and leave asap, unless they happen to be geared for the weather.

Edit: Lol, Walls the slave turned caravan leader sounds awesome.

Lech

I sent 3 elephants with one pawn to rescue someone calling for help. Once I was on place, I was ambushed by 2 scythers. I kicked their butts, packed them on elephant and happily left. My pawn has 15 skill in plants. She should forage just enough to not be malnutritioned. But, I see, that only wounded woman is getting all the food from foraging, every tick. Why they don't split food? They would be still hungry but no one would be dying. 

Was safe distance for shooting removed? Or it never existed? I put SMG shooter just behind mace wielder and stood in doors, fending off manhunter chinchillas. Somehow, with last remaining chinchilla, melee pawn was shot to death. Shooter got "killed colonist" debuff. 

I read that you fixed pawns moving through pawns, but animals are still able to move through and attack from behind. As a prove, my third attempt.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1427517048

Zombull

BUG: A pawn assigned to construction who is trying to mine a smoothed stone wall will stop mining it and start repairing it.

Dashthechinchilla

I think the initial plant gen needs to be turned up a little. Forest biomes look like they are recovering from toxic fallout on spawn. Specifically temperate. Arid biome runs out of trees within days, which is rough on a tribal start. The Mohave desert is full of trees, just not big ones.

Greep

Some thoughts about security buildings after some testing:

1)It would be nice if colonists auto-rearmed turrets when below a decent threshold.  Just glanced at my turrets during peacetime and one was sitting at 24/120 barrel durability.  50% feels right to me

2)It would be nice to have the damage/reload cost for the turrets to be displayed somewhere on the turret.  I was generally continuing to use mostly miniturrets because of the high rearm cost of cannons; however, according to the xml the cannons do 4.8x the damage so it looks like the cannons actually are more efficient.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Madman666

Trees in general are kind of a disaster for the moment. Legendary growers (20lvl) spend like two hours if not more to plant a poplar or two. Tree greenhouses are also totally a thing, so I don't really think that no-roof restriction should be there.

poolday

My feedback, on the game I'm currently playing (15+ hours):

-I'm playing in arid shrubland: beavers come so often and in such great numbers that the map is always empty of trees, so it makes it feel equal to the desert biome. Plus beavers in the desert looks not so coherent IMO.

-The new automatic blueprints: if I start a scenario with some advanced buildings I haven't researched yet, I shouldn't be able to auto-blueprint them once destroyed since I had them because of the scenario but not because I knew how to build them. This makes you to protect those buildings at all costs until you have researched them (I don't know if this is actually happening but it was the case with a mod in the b18).

-Slaughterer Mental Break: This feels like unavoidable damage sometimes, at least the animals should have a chance to defend themselves.

-A quests tab / log in the world map would be useful, so I don't have to filter letters and read each one and jump to location to see the days I have left, etc.

well i'm playing tribal mode so I haven't got to the really new stuff yet and I really enjoy that you cannot make silver so fast like before because now you have to make gifts. Build 1.0 is looking awesome, thanks for everything Tynan and team.

EDIT: also the forbid/unforbid buttons on the orders tab look confusing, like they are inverted