Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robno

I found a graphical bug with the water mills. When one was destroyed, its power grid still showed up in the power display:

I'm kind of liking where watermills are at with the rebalanced power output. They are still very good on river maps, but not overpowered I think.

About the skill leveling speed (Jibbles): I have found skill leveling to be noticeably faster. I think at some point Tynan said that skill mastery shouldn't happen in every game, yet 3 years in and I have a skill level 18 researcher (with only one flame) and several skill levels over 14. I think the speed should be somewhere between what it was in B18 and what it is now.

Jibbles

Blake: It took a long ass time to level up my pawns in previous versions.  My colonies would survive for 8+ years and hardly any of them would have the skills to show for it unless I'm purposely grinding them.  I'm enjoying the speed in how fast they level up.  I was thinking it might be a tad too fast at first, but I know there are players out there who don't want to play so long on a colony. So it feels about right in its current state IMO.  Hope you can look past the degradation sometime soon.

wgiverrimworld

I can also attest to mad animals attacking doors without colonists anywhere nearby.  Two pigs were hauling stuff a bit closer, but the hare came from the north, and the pigs only use the south entrance.  First image shows the combat log, second image shows the distance between the hare and everything else.

zizard

Didn't expect chocolate trees to die in winter, since other trees don't.

Oblitus

Vegetation regrow is extremely slow. Current jungle looks worse than temperate forest from B18. My current small animal farm (10 chinchillas and 10 alpacas) are keeping a good quarter of default map bare.

BTW about animal farms. Every time raid arrives I have to change zone restrictions for both animals and pawns to hide them in a safe area. It is very tedious to do every time.

Marstannum

When setting up a tailoring bill, activating "pause when satisfied" doesn't give you the option to set up an unpause amount.

Another user mentioned it a couple weeks ago but it's still an issue in the latest build.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: MajorFordson on July 03, 2018, 03:28:56 PM

Something happened a day or two into my first game in 1.0, on normal temperate forest map. It seems like ALL of the animals decided to path out of the map at once. A bug? It felt really creepy, would be cool if that happened before some disasters!
Now /there/'s an excellent idea! No letters/notifications of any sort, but on-map wildlife dispersal/exodus over several game days makes a great deal of sense.. & would be only spotted by the hawk-eyed (tribals may get a buff to this, allowing for a non-specific notification of incoming natural disaster) player..
How this could/would be implemented into the current (points-based?) RNG disaster generator is left as an excersise for the student ;)
Dom 8-)

robno

Couple more suggestions: there should be a way to supply prisoner addicts and hospitalised pawns with drugs as part of the wardening job, rather than having to keep checking e.g. alcohol need and setting an operation. Perhaps there should be an ongoing operation to supply them with whatever drugs they need to satisfy their addiction, or maybe an option like 'Gets drugs' which only shows up for addicts.

Another UI thing: maybe should be able to right click the white messages at the upper left of the screen; although they only last for seconds it's still annoying not to be able to select the colonists grayed out by the message.

DariusWolfe

QoL change I'd like to see, since it became kind of a nuisance on my last colony: Have the "count equipped" toggle for the workbenches also count equipped stuff on pawns away from the colony, or at least have another toggle, like Improved Workbench Management does.

Also, Drag and drop ordering of bills, please!

Daimonin

Thought I'd share my river colony from 1.0, though a build or two behind now.

In the long run everyone died of infection, flu, and plague. For some reason my starting medicine didn't spawn. Though I landed in the river originally, so maybe it decayed before my pawns put it away and I didn't notice.

I did have a few observations. 
1. There can sometimes be graphical weirdness when bridges interact with land, notice in the northern exit, the bridge looks like it's only half on the shore. Not a problem or bug specifically, but made me a bit OCD.
2. Since all floor types are heavy, I was stuck with plain wood for all floors on water. Fine for most things, but really annoying when it comes to sterile/silver floors for medical/research/kitchen. Carpets being too heavy for a bridge just seems silly. I understand if some of this is for balance reasons though.
3. Some of the distinctions on what is Light/Medium/Heavy seem rather arbitrary and nonsensical. A stoneworking table is heavy, but a wind turbine is not? Again, totally get it if due to balance, just wish it made more sense.
4. Not a problem specifically, but the damn river was too small! Would love a lake biome, something similar to coast, where the edge(s) are shoreline, with a large lake in the middle? Maybe some small islands? Or maybe an option when settling a coastal area to change how much of the generated map is ocean?

Otherwise, I love the work that;s been done on caravans and quests. I never left my colony pre B18, and in 18 I only did so rarely (AI core). You want what? 300 pants? Hah no. The quests now seem way more doable, reachable, and rewarding. Caravaning is easy and enjoyable, so much infact, that one of my other bases got wiped because I sent everyone except for two pawns out, and they couldn't defend against the incoming raid on their own. Where before 90% of quest pops where ignored, now I get excited when one shows up.

[attachment deleted due to age]

MikeLemmer

Quote from: MajorFordson on July 03, 2018, 03:28:56 PM
Something happened a day or two into my first game in 1.0, on normal temperate forest map. It seems like ALL of the animals decided to path out of the map at once. A bug? It felt really creepy, would be cool if that happened before some disasters, but it just felt like a bug!

It's not a bug, it's their Intended Behavior if the map's temperature exceeds their safe range. I'm guessing it happened during either a Heat Wave or a Cold Snap. I find it irritating because I don't know where they expect to go to escape it.

python8u

Is late game going to become more challenging in 1.0? Because right now, once you've reached a stable food supply and whatnot, you're basically able to fend from all attacks. It's a positive feedback loop.

dearmad

Quote from: python8u on July 04, 2018, 10:59:07 PM
Is late game going to become more challenging in 1.0? Because right now, once you've reached a stable food supply and whatnot, you're basically able to fend from all attacks. It's a positive feedback loop.

At what difficulty?  ::)

Greep

Giving some thoughts on my full playthrough:

-I'm not sure if making uranium a large item rather than a 1/10 or 1/20 item was a 1.0 thing, I think it was, but this had 2 interesting consequences: 

The one LRMS spot that I ended up traveling to but ended up not being worth it was a a uranium deposit, and even with some muffalos and a guy, I couldn't really bring back much uranium

On the flip side, high HP repositionable mini-turrets made out of uranium from deep drilling are now a thing.  I didn't capitalize on this because I had no idea what was coming before I hit the shiny red button on the ship, but it would have been really nice if I built more than one of these.  Even though stuffed cannons would have been seriously OP, I almost wish they still existed just to see invincible uranium cannons  ::)

-Having played the whole end game sequence, I still think it needs to be toned down, and luckily I finished the game so I can say this as a sore winner rather than as a sore loser xD  I had over 20 raids during the sequence, my stats for the game said I had 41 raids, so that means in my roughly 4 year game roughly half of all the raids were just in the final 15 days.

There's a few reasons I have for this:

1)The difficulty is overwhelmingly higher that what you're expecting when the game says "this is worse than you're expecting".  If I had known what was coming, I'd have stocked up seriously on every single drug, made 150 mortars and maxed out reputation on all factions.  This could be alleviated just with a bigger warning.

2) There's simply no time to deal with the aftermath of raids.  What you imagine when you say you have 20 raids in 15 days is you think "oh well, you slowly whittle away at your colony, and hopefully some people are left to escape"  That not really what occurs. 

Normally there's a few critical things you need to do between raids:

-Sleep
-regrow recreation
-rebuild power lines
-re-arm cannons/turrets
-tend wounded
-clean up your living room
-rebuild defenses lost

What happens is a couple raids go by and eventually one of them trashes your fort.  Normally, even if you don't have time to rebuild defenses, at least you can deal with some of the other problems, but during the launch sequence you just have to deal with the fact that everyone now has permanently bad mood and infections are killing everyone.  For me this happened at the 8 day mark when a pirate drop pod and a caravan blew up my interior with an ungodly amount of explosions and all of my hospital beds got destroyed.  Luckily only one person was inside the hospital, which reached 1200C.  Poor guy.  If this happened at the 12 day mark, I would have just quit probably.

3) Things just snowball when they go wrong, and after that critical point you're just kind of watching things.  The epic battle is mostly just depressing limping along with little agency outside your fortress.

My personal suggestion:  I would keep the raid frequency but lower time a lot to warmup a lot, like maybe to 7-10 days.  This would mean even if you reach that critical failure point, at least you might have a bit if fight in you left.  I only lucked out because I built my ship somewhat away from the core base stockpiles so raiders mostly trashed my fort instead of the ship.  If they ever knocked down the walls around the ship there really wasn't anything I could have done for an entire week.

Another possibility is just giving a break in raids after drop pod attacks.  The guy who posted that epic video had the same suggestion.  These drop pod attacks just cause insane levels of damage, and you can't deal with it during the ship sequence in the slightest.

Moving on:  deep drilling infestations I think are going to piss people off, probably only people that go heavy on turrets/cannons as they are weak attacks in general but are quite frequent.  Over the course of the game, I lost ~10 cannons to this.  Unfortunately, they just run straight for them and once they do they don't change targets when you melee them, and even if they did, you get to have fun with autocannons blowing up in your face. 

I'm actually not sure how to deal with them other than drilling far away from the cannons:  Building walls around the drills is easier than it sounds, as I don't want to block LOS from the cannons for raiders.  You can't move the cannons and you can't choose where the drill deposits are.  And last I played deadfalls don't trigger often against bugs, especially the middle and small sized ones.

A note about cannons:  friendly fire is a huge deal, of my 13 deaths before ship launch, 8 were cannons.  That's even with being very aware that my own cannons were my biggest threat.  My strategy after a while was giving half of my fort shields and melee and mostly relying on the cannons for ranged damage, and sitting in doorways of my fort with my charged rifle guys or using emp shell mortars rather than emp grenades.

Funny notes about the game:  the new armor system is kinda weird.  Yes infection rate is much lower with less bleeding wounds.  On the other hand, 3 of my colonists had heavy brain injuries and resorted to luciferium, most had bionic spines or arms, and I even just stopped bothering with the hassle of making bionic limbs and just started using prosthetics.  You could tell how long a colonist was with the colony by how many natural limbs he had.

One really unfortunate colonist had two peg legs -___-

Armor degradation is also pretty heavy if you're using playstyle that involved taking a lot of hits.  By the end of the game most of my power armor was just falling apart, and I simply couldn't replace them.  A lot of times a colonist would get downed and I'll find out he was naked.

Regarding pyromanic/gourmand changes:  This was nice, I had a few gourmands and one pyro.  the one pyro never broke although he died very quickly in the game, and the gourmands only broke about once a year or two.  That was flavorful and not too inhibiting.

Edit: also final note I forgot, "terminator" pawns were slightly disappointing using the relatively new shooting accuracy formula.  This was changed in b18/17 I think, but it's something that felt disappointing enough to mention anyways.  Notably I installed a bionic eye on someone with good shooting and transhumanism and I think they ended up with only 97% shooting accuracy which wasn't much higher than they had before (earlier betas you would get 99.5% ish).  That made me just not bother.  The postprocessing itself is fine, but the bionic eye itself is somewhat lacking.

@python HAHAHAHA launch the ship before you worry about end gae difficulty.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Walkaboutout

Quote from: robno on July 04, 2018, 06:38:55 PM
I found a graphical bug with the water mills. When one was destroyed, its power grid still showed up in the power display:

I'm kind of liking where watermills are at with the rebalanced power output. They are still very good on river maps, but not overpowered I think.

About the skill leveling speed (Jibbles): I have found skill leveling to be noticeably faster. I think at some point Tynan said that skill mastery shouldn't happen in every game, yet 3 years in and I have a skill level 18 researcher (with only one flame) and several skill levels over 14. I think the speed should be somewhere between what it was in B18 and what it is now.

Robno, just to confirm, I had this same thing happen to me as well, also with a watermill. The power conduit that appeared to be there did eventually just disappear, and I'm not sure why. It wasn't anything I did; perhaps a save reload or something? I sort of just moved on when it happened, but I've definitely experienced this as well.