Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblitus

Dexterity play is described as training shooting skill. Well, it is technically true. A pawn can get something like 10 experience points from a session. Not sure it worth mention.

Sig

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 12, 2018, 01:27:11 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 08:26:58 AM
That's a terrible way to play, btw. The game is designed for loss and recovery, you're totally neutering it.

I'm gonna redesign how permadeath is presented. Maybe on by default.

Tynan, I respect you as a dev, but making permadeath mandatory would be a terrible idea.

And also useless. All it takes to bypass permadeath is instant alt+F4 and load the last autosave.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Sig on July 13, 2018, 08:23:33 AM
And also useless. All it takes to bypass permadeath is instant alt+F4 and load the last autosave.

But it will alter your game:

Bones

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on July 13, 2018, 08:38:03 AM

But it will alter your game:

It will alter your game the same way mod does.

If you or anyone else do not like the idea of people save scumming, then why is mod allowed? It's the same difference.

People can choose if they want to use mods, be it balance breaking mods, QoL or just flavor like new sprites.

The same way people should be able to save whenever they want, load as much as they want and experiment the game the way they want.

Wildfire628

Is there any way to tie melee weapon spawning to the brawler trait? I'm running a scenario with the brawler spawn rate at 60% and it's strange to see raids/caravans/visitors/friendlies who supposedly prefer melee bringing ranged weapons and then taking a huge mood hit for it.

mndfreeze

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 12, 2018, 01:27:11 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 08:26:58 AM
That's a terrible way to play, btw. The game is designed for loss and recovery, you're totally neutering it.

I'm gonna redesign how permadeath is presented. Maybe on by default.

Tynan, I respect you as a dev, but making permadeath mandatory would be a terrible idea.

It seems pretty apparent to me he just said to change it to being the DEFAULT setting and how its presented, not taking away the ability for turning it off.  Quite simply the checkbox checked on instead of off when you start a new game.  I'm not sure why everyone is missing this and so argumentative over it. 

IMO Tynan has an a vision for how he thinks the game is generally meant to be played as after all he did design it.  He also knows there are tons of other types of players who play for different reasons, hence the ability to check the box on and off, change storytellers, difficulties, etc. 

If someone wants to keep permadeath mode turned on, but then ALT-F4 they are doing nothing but cheating themselves.  IMO switching the defaults to perma on is perfectly fine and would most likely help a lot of new players understand the design goal vision a little easier as I'm sure quite a lot of people don't really grasp it right away.  It's easy for people to see this more as a colony sim where they think they are supposed to play perfectly vs suffer, lose and rebuild.

All of that said, unfair stuff definitely happens in this game.  That's what we are in this thread to help Tynan figure out.  Balance, improvements, etc.  I came to Rimworld from DF and I definitely struggled for a long time (and still do sometimes) to view the game as a story maker and less of a colony sim.  I bounce back and forth between permadeath games and not and some days I'm totally ok with getting my ass handed to me a few hours into a colony to some bad RNG, other times I save scum or ragequit and take a break.  I wish I had started watching hardcore/extreme type players who are all about the story on youtube/twitch before I played and I think I wouldn't have some of the same bad habits I do now.

TL;DR: changing how perma is presented is totally fine and has zero effect on anyone already playing, as does changing the default checkbox to ON instead of off. 

Galvenox

hey, just found a nasty bug that completly prevents everyone from attacking. got a mechanoid raid, most of them died on traps no problem, but some of them got through and to my surprise, they're just standing there. nobody's attacking, then I checked as well if I could make my colonists fight, nope. could be some of my mods installed, but yesterday everything was working fine. hope this can be of some help, cheers.

[attachment deleted due to age]

mcduff

Is firefighting broken for anyone else with the latest build? My pawns just go to fires and then stand there.

Ser Kitteh

Fedon has bonded to a dog, but Fedon has too little Animal skill to bond with it. Please let them bond regardless of skill level.

EDIT: Also, firefighting bug.

nrvx

Yes firefighting is broken for me too. Even if the status is "Beating fire out" (or "burning"), they just stand without doing something useful  ;D

(Build 1963)

Sirsir

Quote from: Tynan on July 13, 2018, 06:49:16 AM
New build!

Still lots to do over here, taking notes and tuning. Thank you so much to those who've given feedback. Please keep it coming.

-Reduce wound healing speed gain from tending.

Techprof subpersona core now gives the technology you're currently researching instead of a random one.

THANK YOU for the core change! But why nerf healing rate?

Also are item caches supposed to be able to hide in mountains? Cuz I had that happen. It was an ambush and they all popped out of the little nook there, fish in a barrel!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1439871694

mndfreeze

Quote from: Galvenox on July 13, 2018, 09:19:35 AM
hey, just found a nasty bug that completly prevents everyone from attacking. got a mechanoid raid, most of them died on traps no problem, but some of them got through and to my surprise, they're just standing there. nobody's attacking, then I checked as well if I could make my colonists fight, nope. could be some of my mods installed, but yesterday everything was working fine. hope this can be of some help, cheers.

I'm having this same issue except my pawn wont do ANYTHING.  He was trying to repair a piece of wall outside of my home made crematorium room (maltov body disposal) and I cancelled his actions by drafting and removed the home zone on it so he would stop.  After putting him back into work mode he went to mine a section I had marked.  Tasks said he was mining, but he wasn't hitting it.  just standing there.  No tick tick tick tick or anything.  I tried manually forcing him to hit another square, took him on and off fighting mode multiple times, etc.  Reloaded the game and it still persisted then suddenly a few days later he started mining again.  No idea wtf.

Tynan I'm still having issues with people dying from things before it hits 100 when I'm beating it and treatment is occuring. First it was the infection I posted a few pages back, now its plague. 

Dsbinbuffalo

Came here to post that firefighting is bugged for me.

The pawns will go to where the fire is, but just stand there not doing anything.  I even had one catch on fire and he just stood there, wouldn't move even when ordered to get out of the fire.

ChJees

If you are playing with mods and see a line that end like this: _Patch1. Do not report it here until you have checked with the mod makers first :P . Means that some mod used Harmony to Patch a function.

Uruk Ragnarsson

Quote from: Tynan on July 13, 2018, 07:53:43 AM
Wow. That is not the problem I saw. I hope that was fixed too.

It may have been throwing exceptions in the dying code, which would make sense. So the poor thing was unable to die.

Evening.

Firstly, thanks Tynan, I absolutely love the game (my favourite storytelling sandbox) and you've inspired me greatly. My human leather cowboy hat is eternally tipped.

Secondly, I've found a new little bug - Boomalope ran over a deadfall trap, causing it to explode (I had set it up in a chokepoint for any old animal or raider to stumble upon), but when I went to put out the fire it wouldn't let me. Just made a "glitched" sound. My girl can definitely fight fires. Playing a non-modded 1963 build, naked brutality start. Didn't have devmode on originally, but figured I should look at the log to see what was going on.

Know this should probably sit in the bugs section, but seeing as you're playing hot potato with these unstable builds I thought to bring it to your attention here.

What did the hat say to the scarf? You hang around and I'll go ahead.