Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

Something that bothered me in vanilla a lot (and one of the first things I modded myself) are plant textures. They aren't bad at all, I just really want to have an immature variant for every type of plant. It's important for me to see at a glance if they are ready to be harvested or not.

The same is true for trees, but there I haven't found the time to make textures for.

Here is an example with the new healroot:

I also modded it to be a tiny glower... because let's be real, the artist clearly used some glow at those fruits =p

For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

bbqftw

Quote from: Greep on July 30, 2018, 04:35:52 PM
Quote from: Awe on July 30, 2018, 10:11:56 AM
Quote from: Greep on July 30, 2018, 06:34:18 AM
4 years in:  unstoppable swarms of 18+ centipedes over and over, to the point where I just got bored and essentially gave up.

Sniper turrets + killbox = easy solution to centipedes. I launched ship under pressure of 15-20 centipedes almost every day. 1 deep uranium deposit provide more than enough mats to rearm turrets.

Yeah I was mostly just seeing how much ignoring metagaming affected the game:  turns out it's the majority of the game's skill atm lol.  That's disappointing.  It was a little shocking seeing the game go from basically no raid size at all to literally 10 times that in the same time span.

As for sniper turrets, I actually am kind of interested to see how an extreme sniper turret strategy would work out.  Not just deep drilling but, considering how much steel I got from LRMS sites if I targetted uranium instead I could have made a ridiculous amount of them.

true skill right now is burning/melting down the 35k wealth of weapons the 75 man raid in year 2 just dropped before the next big threat comes

I failed at this and was rewarded by a psychic ship containing 9x timewasters, 4x storyteller. On the bright side mechs yield so little from deconstruction now so your wealth is controlled!!! I'm the real winner here.

Oxxian

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Medium Standard crash-landed start
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest, Mountain, Large river and Southern Coast
Commitment mode: yes
Current colony age (days): 369 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: 26ish
No mods

Its my first successful run on permadeath just taking what I am dealt colonist wise. I picked the ideal biomes though. 

Gather friends and listen to the tale of the Waslior Dominion and its ascension to the stars.

Our story begins with 3 poor bastards falling from orbit, We have;

Skye a teetotaller neurotic with solid passions she is 62 years old but has no injuries \o/

Sakii a staggeringly ugly gourmand hard worker, she is 25 and has scars across her right arm. doesn't do violence.

Haugen a Steadfast quick sleeping pyromaniac,  he is 33 and has a bad leg.

Skill wise the spread wasn't to bad I have most bases covered with the glaring exceptions of Medicine and Intellectual pursuits still can't complain too much and maybe one of the locals will like books or something.

Our landing site is friendly with a 50 day growing season and we set up in the corner between coast and mountains building a simple shelter from wood till we can tunnel into the rock and establish something less flammable. The first weeks pass with the usual incidents and only a couple of fires! We manage to capture one of our assailants and turn them to our cause. They are called Ayala and are a 67 year old Teetotaller Jogger with a bad back but her they can read!. Just as Ayala succumbs to our charms a wanderer turns up they are called Weiss and are a trigger-happy 18 year old with a Chemical fascination and a Good memory. Raids are still relatively tame our inviting trapped bridge and concrete path are racking up kills.

Half a year in we have a made considerable inroads into the construction of our mountain base, we have dug a tunnel deep into the mountain and a barracks. Though we are still currently living outside until the smoothing process gets finished. A local outlander caravan arrives and they have 2 cows and a bull for sale, we throw most of our wealth into acquiring these so we can start ranching and getting that sweet sweet milk. Our new recruits are making good progress on the research front we have unlocked hydroponics and chem-fuel refining. We saved a refugee being chased by pirates and even recruited one of his pursuers which would later go on to become their wife (come to think of it they never did say why the pirate were pursuing them). The couple, Luke and Berg are a Beautiful too-smart with a chemical interest  and a Pretty jealous undergrounded with a chemical fascination. It was at this point that I gave up on the idea of flake for money.

1 year in the basics of our new under mountain life are complete we now have a impressive barracks, large freezer, a storehouse and 2 hydroponics rooms set up. We are using chemfuel from the rice for power and have located a thin ceiling to pump out our heat, now we are living primarily in the mountain we have allowed our expanding herd of cows and some huskies that joined to have the run of our old shelter as a barn. This arrangement lasted all of two weeks before Haugen decided that roast beef sounded like a good idea and set fire to the only door, by the time the rest of my colonists could get there we had to priorities saving burning cows over the building, a new barn will have to be raised from sandstone Haugen can do it and live in there with them. Hawk the wandering misogynist pyromaniac joins to much disappointment and the expansion of the barns living quarters     

In the Second year we were joined by Kimmy and Mole a kind fast learner and Gay careful shooter respectively both from crashed pods. Skye was joined by a bad back which wasn't too great as she is my best shooter. We equipped our colonists with chain shotguns and bought a few flak vests as raids are beginning to toughen up and we want to be ready for the ever present risk of infestation.  A large tribal raid is thwarted with the sacrifice of a husky to hold the choke of my mountain base as a torrent of chain shotguns unleash fury over its head. Rainbow you will be remembered. Peace talks go very well and we are now at peace with all our fellow outlanders. Our herd has grown to 16 cows and 2 bulls by year end through breeding and a second round of purchases while we are up to 6 hauling huskies. We also did some trade mission for 2 healer serums and destroyed and outpost with our huskies for a res serum.

Year 3 begins with a base expansion digging bedrooms, a hospital/reseachlab and setting up a solar farm in a open pocket we found within the mountain. We are also starting to think about build a outer wall  to control our raid approaches a bit better but that will have to wait for later in the year. Our first casualty come from a friendly fire incident during a raider attack Hawk is caught in the back by a shotgun blast while attempting to rescue a bonded husky they are cremated together in a short ceremony by the sea.  The year sees Theo,Landale and Roo join us. They are mostly recruited for their ability to shoot/brawl well Roo is a greedy gourmand careful shooter while Theo and Landale are a pair bloodthirsty Brawlers. While moving the pyros to the stone barn has been helpful we are building them a new home after one of them set alight my haygrass crop as everyone was sleeping and a long walk away. We are starting to see mechanoid ships landing more often and could do with some extra fire power. While our technique of baiting centipedes to a corner throwing a EMP in their path and having my base step round the corner to unload with chain shotguns is working well I suspect that if it goes wrong my cloth wearing colonists with a few flak vests are not going to fare well so far the most we have had to handle is 3 centipedes as our traps are still effective and sycthers tend to get stopped in their tracks by chain shotties. So begins the construction of a four tile thick sandstone wall to channel my foes into a planned turret fire zone. Our deep drilling research helps find us the minerals we need, it also finds bugs but our chain shotguns and ablative huskies continue to shine.

Year 4 our base reaches the final state you see in the pictures bellow we recruit Kane a optimistic mob boss that doesn't do much other than fight and walker a Jealous psychopath with passions for nearly everything. The defences are complete we have a narrowed main approach covered by 6 autocannons, 2 uranium slug throwers lots of wooden deadfalls and 4 supplementary improvised turrets. I have left a area on our north wall exposed to lure sappers to target it. Originally I was planning to have a small storage with some improvised turrets in storage nearby and lay them as they raiders tunneled through but so far huskies hand chain shotguns firing down the one tile thick corridor the sapper opens in my wall have proved more than sufficient, even if the huskies do suffer a little for it (guys I'd give you power armour if I could but we are testing vanilla). A long Toxic fallout proves very dangerous as our herd (now 25 cows and 4 bulls) eat through their supplies and proves too much for our two rice hydroponics to sustain, cutbacks are made to 15 cows and 2 bulls we were selling allot of the milk anyways and now have a large supply of beef to help feed us and the huskies through the fallout. I make one suit of power armour then decide our policy of not getting shot/letting other stuff get shot for us is the way to go the melee guys can have some marine armour everyone else is sticking with flack vests. Added a tile of chem-fuel storage in the middle of the week spot in our wall planning to Molotov the corridor they cut through next time the sappers come. We begin thinking about the ship word.....

Year 5 We fended off several large raids that charged into our turret zone those uranium slugs do work!!! Unfortunately I forget to turn off the turrets after a attack and a stray shot aimed at a mad boomrat costs Ayala an arm. Research progresses and we are offer a Ai core for destroying a nearby bandit settlement. Mole landale and Skye head out to win us the core. In our arrogance we forgot that penoxyclyine does not stop flu (or they where infected before I gave it them a few days prior) The party has nearly made it to the bandits when the disease strikes along with food poisoning from the supplementary berries. Landale is fine but skye is laid out and Mole is struggling to stand. The caravan is too far out to get food to with a rescue caravan before they starve so a desperate plan is hatched and my 4 researchers take wake up and get to work. Meanwhile back with the convoy Mole uses her sniper to pull the bandits just before she collapses from her food poisoning and flu Landale is a god damn hero cutting down 3 raiders with his plassteel long sword and causing them to break. Unfortunately one got a lucky shot in and hes bleeding from the neck he has five hours before he drops and 0 med skill. Suddenly drop pods arrive dumping a dishevelled Ayala onto the deck with a pile of steel and components Ayala tends the wounded but it looks too late for Skye, thinking quickly we send more steel and components so the caravan can make a pod launcher and send the dying Skye back to home base. The rest of the caravan manages to camp out in the bandit shelter till they recover enough to return on foot hunting some animals to supplement their food. Skye arrives home just as she slips into the void but the mech resurrection injector is waiting and by the time the caravan gets back she is recovered. There isn't a party so I give everyone a day on compulsory recreation to force the issue. The rest of the year is comparatively uneventful I am mainly amassing resources and building components for the ship to come.

Year 6 Ship building begins in earnest we have chosen a design based on a game one of my colonists played once and are going to build something called a myrmidon battle cruiser, when we pointed out that we aren't going to put weapons on the darn thing they got most put out. Still on the subject of weapons the arrival of mech drop pod raid behind my defences  lead to the construction of some secondary fallback defences. Several additional auto cannons and wall clusters to break los this served us well against future drops. A colonist is crushed when the mountain she thought was held up by a wall turned out not to be, unfortunately she chose to stand under the mountain at the same time as digging when any of the other 3 sides of the pillar would have been safe, I'm chalking this up to the lack of rimworld health and safety protocols. (research project: risk assesments?)                     

Our ship was completed and I began stockpiling some emergency supplies for the activation. I split the colony into 2 shifts that slept at different times of day, I hope this will better allow me to keep people rested during the struggle to come. There's plenty of wake up as a backup and I have actually aquired 100 yayo that I plan to distribute as required to keep moral up. With 200 survival meals in storage, reload stockpiles by my guns and plenty of trepidation I pressed the button.

Day 1: No movement its all quiet too quiet.
Day2:  Tribals from 2 directions fall before our traps and autocannons.
Day 3: Mech drop catch the buggers with the old corner EMP grenade with chain shottie follow-up.
Day 4: A sapper raid followed by a Siege the sappers find that chem fuel i stored inside my wall week point, shortly after they find a Molotov. My huskies are somewhat singed and my chain shotguns ill suited for the open terrain outside my base so I call for help. Allies bloody the Siege and force it into a assualt which my turrets repel.
Day 5: I am able to rescue some of the downed allies from the relief force yesterday feel good to be able to do that they really came through for me.
Day 6: Solar flair turns off my turrets but then no attack comes.
Day 7: Mechs in a frontal assault filed them with Uranium goodness the reload stock piles begin to pay off.
Day 8: Tribals again but this time some friendlies come spontaneously and dispatch them in brutal fashion.
Day 9: A moment of respite
Day 10: Mech drop through the heat outlet for my base's freezer was not expecting an attack from that angle. The Huskies overrun them but many are injured and a bonded one dies I put their master into cryptosleed before they break as they where already injured and in a bad way.
Day 11: Flu on most of my day shift (does the game target that? or was it just chance) my night shift pop wake up and yayo and get by
Day 12: Outlander sappers very well armoured in flak my usual mob the sapper tunnel technique fails (probably due to the half strength chain shotguner numbers and attakers that stopped trying to go down the tunnel and returned fire) I retreat throwing a Molotov at the breach as I go my downed husky burns sadly but the flames injure enough of the attackers to trigger a retreat. Paddington if I had another mech res serum I'd use it on you boy.     
Day 12: fire ravages the forest outside the breach from yesterday, many pawns in beds and few doctors luckily the flu patients are at the point where they can be taken off bedrest and will soldier through the last 20% to immunity out of bed.
Day13: Tribals sappers in plate armour I play it safe and call for help which damages them and causes the survivors to head for my main entrance instead they are cut down by my autocannons.
Day 14: Mech drop but really small 3 lancers 1 Scyther get destracted by autocannons and allow a few able bodied colonists to get in range with chain shotguns. 
Day 15: Outland sappers all with melee weapons bit of a anticlimax they chase a pawn into the turrets it goes poorly for them.
Reactor online! I call a Bulk goods trader from my outlander allies, gift all my unbonded animals load up and head to the stars!

Takeaways

The balance on the last few 1.0 made for a much better experience pace wise. I am loving the new turrets and traps they feel way more impactful than the old turret killboxes and the lower power means I can have them spread throughout my base. Previously a group for 4 impro turrets didn't feel like much of a help if the raiders came from a odd angle or bypassed your main defence somehow, 3 auto cannons are a whole different ballgame. Traps even wooden ones are worth their weight even in the late game and allowed me to create cheep supplements to my defence as needed.  The huskies were the undisputed stars of this run and despite having nearly 25 at one point 2 pawns where able to keep on top of all the training which I was initially concerned about. Didn't have any issues with the need for outdoors despite being under a mountain the only ones it even really stacked up on where my research team but they get to sit in +10 comfortable chairs a short walk from the pool table so they just took the hit.  I found my first complete permadeath run to be extremely enjoyable and generally much more enjoyable than my previous savescum runs on higher difficulties everything had more investment and not picking ideal colonists made me see them more as individuals than skill points with legs. Managing my bases pyros and chem people was a pain but definitely manageable at this difficulty at least. I'm gonna take a short break before starting up a permadeath rough and seeing if I can get through that. 

[attachment deleted due to age]

jchavezriva

A colonist got its pelvis destroyed and there is nothing i can do about it (besides praying for the healer mech serum to fix that instead of some minor scratch somewhere else).

Do you plan on implementing another solution for this? Like bone prosthesis or something?

zizard

Quote from: Tynan on July 30, 2018, 09:56:50 AM
The button's at the bottom of the storyteller select screen in the middle.

I'm curious why you refuse to ever try a lower difficulty? This is something I've observed in various forms and it's worth understanding the motivation.

Because it's already easy.

Greep

Interestingly, stranger in black probably makes naked brutality sea ice doable :3

1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Rulin

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Builder - Naked Brutality
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest - Flat
Commitment mode:  no (what is this?)
Current colony age (days): 236 (colony started with version .1959, now in .1980)
Hours played in the last 2 days: 10+
Complete mod list: none

screenshot gallery: https://imgur.com/a/1UsJl0A (3x with history graphs)

This is still my first naked start colony.
Played alot over the weekend.

Because I reduced the difficulty at some point back to builder, I was able to really focus on... whatever I wanted to do, really. Sure it takes some time, especially when you start with a single naked pawn, and stuff like plasteel and gold is rarer in this version, but eventually I am able to get everything when I really need it for something. Exept maybe for healer serum etc.
Haven't built/researched the long range scanner or deep drilling yet, it is next on my list though; but so far I am doing just fine with trading or scrap metal from scyther raids in terms of most rare materials.

I did quite a few caravan trips so far.
In the beginning a couple of rescue missions, 2 or three peacetalks, only one assault (risky... I guess), 1 or 2 hidden items and a handful of contract missions. Mostly in the mid and endgame.
Last one was in winter with one pawn getting the plague early on. Probably one with sickly trait that forgot to take his meds in time.  ;)
This resulted in a very long/slow trip, but we made it just in time to deliver the guns for the contract.
Btw, imo it is not very logical that a pawn getting carried by a muffalo? results in such a reduced removement. Too bad I cannot remember the correct value, but it felt a bit harsh.
Maybe it was not taking into account that there were muffalos in the caravan, who could easily handle an additional meatstick on their backs.

I get ambushed here and there, but it never felt like a huge threat. I don't remember every "group" but often times I had only one raider or animal attacking my 4-6 colonists.
Not that I enjoy the beeing ambushed by huge gangs, but I think with 4 or more people in the caravan it should be at least 2 creatures incoming.

Because my colony is getting really big in terms of members, I guess I will start doing more riskier stuff like attacking another colony.

Even though I am playing on Builder difficulty, I still wish the world events that sometimes pop up on the world map would be more consistent.
It feels like there are sometimes days or weeks without anything interesting happening and then suddenly 3-4 things at once.
Atm I only see an incapacitated refugee on the map. (71 years old, RIP)
I guess installing the long range scanner will help a bit in that regard.

Overall I would like to see a bigger variety of stuff to do when looking on the map. Maybe even things like "Establish an Outpost", "build a barn for a faction" that gives an bonus payment if it is well done, or "deal with an rat infested corn field" on smaller maps. Stuff that is only there for a short period of time or some things maybe even without a timer like install a masterwork statue in a friendly colony ("statue of liberty") or join an assault of a rival colony.

I just had a harsh winter with a long cold snap. Longer than usual. Or maybe it was just the huge amount of animals I have atm that resulted in some starving. First I was able to micro manage with some fresh kibble and insect meat but this was just a solution for one day.
For some reason they stopped eating gras at -10 or -15 degrees, even though I can still clearly see some patches here and there.

Anyway, this coldsnap pushed my plans for a room of hydroponics. Now Cold Snaps like this should be more managable.
Sometimes you get so many new colonists and animals in a year it hits you really hard in the winter.

Cold snaps are quite common on my map, I wonder if the frequency has something to do with the growing period. (40/60)

Would be nice to have a mild winter now and then. ;)
Maybe with a mosquito plague then in the summer, resulting in a (higher) malaria chance and temporary mood debuff.

Stuff I haven't built or done but is still on my to do list:

• Finish the armory to for quicker access to heavy armor.
• Build some mortars.
• Long range mineral scanner action and later deep drilling madness.
• Colony w0r!
• High end armor (marine and energy) and weapons (lance, energy...)
• Remove- and replacment of the wooden walls from the beginning of the colony.
• Opening of the ancient evil caves. Looks like I have two of them on my map.

Btw, I already opened one on a second temporary outpost I have builtm when I was on my way on a contract mission.
Had to make a stop to get more meals before I continued. Or it was because of someting else, maybe an ambush. I don't remember.
I ended up building quite alot there, because of all the compacted machinery in the mountains I had to mine.
I was also traveling with alot of heavy uranium and plasteel (reward or from trade) so I ended up building pod launchers to send most of the heavy stuff via rocked.

Having an "outpost" or "camp" is wishful thinking. The game consideres this a normal colony so you get all kinds of normal stuff thrown at you, which resulted in an even longer time there.
Had to deal with some prisoners for example. I shot one back to main base. Turns out they flee immediatly, when they drop out of the pod.
At first I kept the map open so I could make a stop there during my next trip and pick up some of the stuff I had to left behind, but because even though noone was there, all kinds of events where still happening there, so I decided to give up the map after my second visit.

So among a few other ideas I want to share at the end, an outpost feature would be great. Maybe with a smaller then usual mapsize and a functionality that stops the map once everyone has left it, so the game does not have to process a whole second colony all the time.

Another thing that I noticed are problems with bed ownership from pawns on caravans.
Not quite sure what the usual procedure here is, but it looks like they loose ownerhip once they left the map, so new pawns will be able to claim their beds.
When the old owners return, they will find a new pawn sleeping in their bed (automaticly) if you have forgotten to micromanage the bed situation after recruiting.
It would be nice if a bed will not loose its owner while on a caravan.

Probably not just in the animals tab, the sorting feature does not work properly.
You can clearly see it when you start sorting by allowed area, for some reason it is never able to list all areas of one category in one continuous list. Same for all the other categories here.
Wildlife tab has similar problems.
The Work-, Restrict- and Assign-tab do have a functional sorting though.

A feature request at the end:
A safezone toggle in the animals tab. So all animals enter a designated safezone, with food, warmth, safety from enemies, and get back on their previous area after the threat is gone.
It is always a pain to micro all the zones back and forth. Especially when they aren't even sorted properly. So the more animals I have, the more zones I have to remember.

Thanks for listening!

Copperwire

AAR: Tough Kids! vs The Swamp

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness: Temp Swamp with a River and Road
Commitment mode: no (never used it though)
Current colony age (days): 180ish
Hours played in the last 2 days: 12ish
No mods
Status: 13 Pawns (2 recruit, 2 banish, kept all the rest), 85kish wealth, and ALL research done.

Decided to do a "Childrens Crusade" - started with classic start and 3 kids.  Classic start seemed very opulent, having played exclusively "Naked and Fearless" since 1.0 hit.  I've never messed with swamp, which frankly was fun and interesting, though the fires killed my FPS a few times.

Focus was mostly on play without animal defenders, turrets, or traps.  I have had a number of pawns downed and lost some limbs, but no fatalities or brain injuries.  Mostly, I did bunkers ala Rhadamant and rushed Charge Lances and Shield Belts.

My first pawn to join was also a child.  He made 2 kids with tough (Tough Kids!) and the two of them provided a lot of early tank.  I bought guns through the early game (wealth limbo) and early I picked up a chain shotgun.  One guy with the starting armor and a chain shotgun is a lot of early colony defense.  Two, a bit later, carried us.  Neither of them are among the bionic replacement list.  I did get an inspiration at a good time and made a masterwork sniper, which also did a lot of carrying, especially on the first ship.

The river had a lot of marsh and swamp near it and I found only one place to put a watermill.  I've made it on that and one thermal so far.  Really, the river has done more as a fire break then anything else.

I have used a few one shots.  I used to hoard them, but I have come to see them as the right response to many events happening at once - ie Poison Ship, manhunters, and a siege in two days.  The Siege got a Triple Rocket from my medic/sniper, who was the only pawn unwounded after the first mess.  I think 1k silver is a fair counter for a siege.  It started a big blaze which pretty much ended the raiders who didn't just die.

Using pure bunkers, sappers earlyish were the biggest damage dealers.  Some of it was micro neglect; I wanted to see how it would work out ... for science.  My bunker was mostly on bridges over swamp/river .... which doesn't deal with frags so well.  Bunker was a mess, but no one died so....

Swamp has so much wood that I have never had to invest in heaters or coolers besides the fridge:  I have just used camp fires and passive coolers in mass quantities, seasonally.  My base connects most halls to the big storage/bonfires/barn/etc room, and it has been sufficient through both cold and warm snaps.  I am a big believer in using thermal exhaust and freezer exhaust as heating.  Heaters/Coolers/Power to run them are all wealth and use rather dear resources...

My base is very much an organic thing.  It started with two rooms (the left most rooms actually) against some small hills.  Everything else is "form follows what I want it to do next".  I use 2x5 bedrooms, because they do ok on mood and two next to each other gives flex: you can knock out the wall and make a crafting room or hospital or bigbedroom or whatever you need.  All my buildings were free standing until the first winter hit, then I enclosed the freezer/bedrooms/etc to take advantage of the therm and cooler exhaust.  If your going to build "organic", it doesn't hurt to do it efficient/flexible.

To manage wood issues in the winter and wealth/firewood, I use spare time to make bridges and wood floors in a lot of places.  Basically, everything that is not rich soil in the courtyard.  Its a lot faster to remove bridges then to harvest trees ...  and bridges/floors have no wealth.  Tiny bits of move speed here and there don't hurt either.

Probably the biggest lesson learned was I built something over my horseshoe pin and didn't notice it until I hit 75k wealth (which is where you go from 18 to 12 mood from expectations and a need for 3 to 4 forms of entertainment) and had a lot of people become bored with the 3 rec forms they had and start to get a bit .... twitchy.

In the screenie, you may be able to see my scrap metal hoard .... sitting on swamp/bridges in the courtryard/fields.  Re: "Things Dogs Can Do While Wealth Limbo/Research Occur".  I think its 130ish, though double click won't grab more then 80 at a time.  With the new values for smelting ..... that plus the mechanoids and big corpses in the back of the fridge ..... are still zero wealth.

So .... its a bit hard to see.  There is a door and a bridge over the river at the south end of the base.  That is for sending the melees out with shield belts and thrombo horns once the raid has chosen targets in the bunker (the right one is the one I leave the doors open to all the time).  That is fun and generally effective.

Can we have an option for an in game clock as well as the real time clock?  That would be appreciated - as going to the world map the check the daylight line is not the most exact method.

Tynan, if it would not be offensive, could you post a clear explanation of how wealth is calculated?  Is it everything on the map, everything in home area, everything in stockpiles, etc?  I think you said equipment on pawns is not an issue - does that mean pawn value, including for trade, ignores items in inventory etc? While I am not sure I like the "wealth limbo" meta, if it is here to stay, I would appreciate a clean understanding of it.

As always, thanks for the game and Cheers.

Teleblaster18

A suggestion for gameplay, in progress:

It would make it significantly easier for trading/caravaning purposes to be able to check off a box on the "Animals" tab that designates an animal that you intend to sell

Just a simple "$" or "Sell?" heading with a column next to the circled "Bonded/Slaughter/Medical Care" Headings, which also displays when the Caravan and Trading Menus come up.  They wouldn't automatically be traded, of course...this would just be reminding you which ones you intend to sell.

I've been writing the animals to be sold on a sheet of paper up until now.  I have many, many of these sheets of paper.  I'd like to have less.

weatherdown

Quote from: Teleblaster18 on July 30, 2018, 07:03:08 PM

It would make it significantly easier for trading/caravaning purposes to be able to check off a box on the "Animals" tab that designates an animal that you intend to sell

Just a simple "$" or "Sell?" heading with a column next to the circled "Bonded/Slaughter/Medical Care" Headings, which also displays when the Caravan and Trading Menus come up.  They wouldn't automatically be traded, of course...this would just be reminding you which ones you intend to sell.

I've been writing the animals to be sold on a sheet of paper up until now.  I have many, many of these sheets of paper.  I'd like to have less.

I suppose you could just have a zone designated. But that could get complicated depending on how your zones are set up. Temporarily at least while we wait for your suggestion to be implemented...

Copperwire

You could rename them "Sell Me".

Teleblaster18

Quote from: weatherdown on July 30, 2018, 07:11:15 PM
Quote from: Teleblaster18 on July 30, 2018, 07:03:08 PM

I suppose you could just have a zone designated. But that could get complicated depending on how your zones are set up. Temporarily at least while we wait for your suggestion to be implemented...

I have all zones in use at all times, so that wouldn't work for me.  I've got the "To Be Sold" list jotted down on a physical notepad at the moment.

Thanks, though...I appreciate the idea. :)

Teleblaster18

Quote from: Copperwire on July 30, 2018, 07:37:45 PM
You could rename them "Sell Me".

Sure...the wording or symbol isn't critical, just so long as there's an easy way to see it simultaneously on the trading/caravan/animal screens.

Skibob`

Had a weird (amusing) bug with the new patch, wanted to mention it just in case. Sorry if it's known already.

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Builder
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forest, large hills
Commitment mode: no
Current colony age (days): 153 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: 10ish?
Complete mod list: none

I have a pretty standard trap/killbox setup, the rest of my base is walled off. See below:

Started playing this morning after the patch hit. Heard an explosion and saw that a boomrat had triggered one of the pictured traps. Alright. I'm about to swap over to check something else out when suddenly, I spot a giant wave of every single squirrel, raccoon, rat, boomrat, and boomalope on the map converging on that exact spot. They all enter the killzone, run through the traps and trigger them.

My first thought was manhunter pack or that one psychic effect causing everything to go manhunter. I hadn't gotten an alert, and to be honest I was panicking and didn't think to grab a screenshot. But none of the dozens of animals were aggroed, and none of them had the manhunter status. Some made it past the traps, none of them triggered the turrets, and they just wandered around my base for a while before leaving again. Free meals, at least? .

patoka

Just read through all of the changelog but havent tried it out yet as i lack time irl to even play rimworld once in a blue moon. anyway, by far most of the changes are for the better (and there are manyof those, just look at the list). many of them now essentially implemented mods into vanilla which i love because i am generally not a big fan of modding for various reasons (nevertheless i do play with 5-10 mods on at all times).
it takes too long to say all the good things about 1.0, so here are the few negatives i could find or even just doubts that arose while reading through the whole list:

- not happy about what happened to scythers because now it seems i can rush the lancers with infantery or even animals and shoot the now melee-only scythers down from afar. like this they are completely obselete in mid to late game in comparison to centipedes. i'd rather have upped their "worth" in combat, as in so that they dont spawn early on when you cant defend yourself against them properly. but oh well, i havent tried the new mode out so what do i know. maybe in the end essentially nerfing sythers will prove to be perfectly acceptable due to the newly gained value of infantery pawns.

- new traits: i have never quite understood what exactly went through your head (no offence) when you made all of them. i have always paid a special amount of attention to them and backstories and i wonder about your selection of them. there were so many other good ones mentionned in the suggestions topic...anyway, all new traits seem to be good and relevant at least.

- prosthetic hearts seem like a really good thing to add that i have never read about, but what's up with all the archotech? are they just an excuse to give advanced components more of a meaning? i very much liked the idea that a player may never ever lay his hands onto archotech, but now that is has been introduced, what else is to come?

- turrets needing barrel changes, animals in need of retraining, smoothing rock walls (and the prior existance of smooth floorings) and deep drills causing insect attacks all make it look like the only sensible way of starting colonies is in highly mountainous areas where you can start mountain bases for defense and cheap, low-tech beautiful rooms. sure, you get insects in there aswell, but those you can also get around easily with the heater trick. i dont like mountain bases one bit and i thought they were pure cheese eversince smooth floorings were introduced to the game. i can live with sieges not shooting me anymore, i can live with way easier temperature control, i can live with easily defendable positions. what i cant stand is that (aside from golden floorings) even in late game it is the best option for beauty (and therefore sanity). maybe this is oddly specific, but you can always improvise some type of killbox and maneuver your pawns in a way that the mortar cant get a single shot off. temperature control is especially easy since this game allows for fortress builds, which makes it outright easy in late game even in very difficult environments. but you shouldve at least left the beauty debuff for those moles that wanted to live in the rock. it's not like you cant get around it anyway. i'd just sleep more comfy if i knew that my carpet flooring and normal ass walls are sth the mountaineers can only dream of for a long time.

- about animals: the more i play this game the less i like animals. they are really expensive to train especially at first and they are so easy to lose in raids. aside from pack animals and chicken i barely have any anymore, eventhough i used to be able to boast about having vast armies of those furry beasts. sicknesses and unlearning doesnt help, just makes chicken more powerful. (sick ones get eaten i guess).

- alphabeavers: why? they CAN and WILL eat all the trees in normal biomes aswell and once your colony is large enough. (even in tropical rainforests if not taken care of. happened to me once, you wouldnt think it would happen until it does. it was right after a very messy raid.) honestly, alphabeavers were in a perfectly fine place.

- scyther blades have been removed...ok...why? just because you couldnt find a proper way to implement them? honestly, now that animals unlearn and there is more of an emphasis on diplomacy, a double scyther blade brawler that outside of combat does animal stuff and diplomacy is a perfectly viable strategy (even if improbable). and if nothing else, they allow a handless pawn to interact with the world around him again if no other cure is there. also you could sell them. i always looked very much forward to mech raids because of this reason, also their bodies for taking apart ofc.

- mechanoids dying on down makes sense from a game play perspective because they still act as bullet sponges and are still hard to get rid of if the battle is over if you cant shut them down. but logic wise i dont think this is a good idea. so i shoot the legs off of a scyther and it cant shoot me anymore with its lance and shuts down? nah, no way. it will figure out a way to make my life as miserable as possible.

- why is it a thing now that exotic goods outlander traders dont trade furniture anymore? not saying it is necessarily bad but i am definitely left confused.

- why did you remove green thumb? was it a nerf because it was op?

- i noticed electric armor earlier. what was it for anyway?

- what does "combined ribs into rib cage" mean? can i still shatter single ribs? can i now break them and they will all always heal? is the ribcage now essentially just another part of the torso that you can damage (through crits like other bones and organs) and heal? what happens if your ribcage loses all its hp? crippled for life like with a shattered spine or insta-kill? or just lowered mobility?

- removed shoddy and superior, so what we're left with is awful, poor, normal, good, excellent, masterwork and legendary? how did the quality limits and effects change due to this?

- why dont enemies use rocket launchers on caravan raids anymore? too hard to deal with? if so, how about you just disable them for lower difficulties? i still have mighty fun encountering them like that.

- settling close to factions worsening relations is kinda weird, because wouldnt you want your friends to be close by? on the other hand i can totally understand why this is a thing now. otherwise it is too easy to trade cheaply and without any real restrictions.

- tainted means d/deadman's, right? so we are stuck with burning everything except stuff that we wanna keep. alright, at least there is more use for my cremation desk/crematorium or whatever it's called.

- why dont traders accept "typical short-life meals" anymore? it was a great and easy way of selling stuff to them even in early game when you dont own too much sellable stuff. so now we will have bulk goods traders and bases that accept raw meat but no meals? how does that make any sense. if i was a trader on a caravan i'd be glad if i could get some fresh food for now and the upcoming days so that i dont have to live from pemmican only. this is one of the few things i firmly believe should be undone. while you're at it, i'd even make it possible to sell meals to any trader because all of them need food. no matter if you're a weapons dealer and your family has only ever dealt with weapons for generations, you still need food and any reasonable person is glad if he gets some fresh food served. if anything, implement a limit to the amount of meals being able to be sold at to a trader, so noone can abuse it by selling hundreds of fresh meals to them. but still you'd need the same kind of limit for fresh meat aswell, which you dont have, so, really, just forget about this implementation of yours and just allow us to sell meals to everyone, including pemmican. please.

- tame animals affect colony wealth? great, one more reason to just hunt everything that moves, no need for them anymore. they poop everywhere anyway and eat valuable objects, so screw them. dont get me wrong, i am not mad about this change, it just makes my choices for my next games much easier; no more taming (except pack animals).

- beauty of floors have been rebalanced - if one of my points doesnt stand anymore, nevermind it.

- also, did roses suddenly become more of a thing now? like a proper rose bush that you can grow now?

- wow, big moves on psm, very interesting. but still, who needs it if pemmican is more efficient and still stays good for soooo long? additionally, it is much quicker to make if you made a little stop with your caravan...but yeah, now they are WAY more viable. if i may add sth, since they are PACKAGED meals, why cant we put more than 10 in one pile? i understand why you can only put 10 fine meals in one pile, because the trays and plates stack quickly and may break. but if it's packaged, i dont think there is anything to stop my pawns from building a tower of 75 packages like from lego. or maybe 50, like components.

- i honestly still think that beds are too cheap and quick to build. like, way too much so.

- omg, just read all the nerfs to animals. well, goodbye any reasonable amount of playtime with animals and hello single (starting/bond) animal playthroughs.

- pekoe still seems to outclass beer as far as i can tell from this data and from how they were last time i played.

all in all 24 points but dont get scared, most of them arent criticism but questions. and as said, i skipped hundreds of points where i wouldve been like: "hell yeah, love this change, finally, perfect, just what i wanted, no need for mods anymore, tynan ily, wowie, awesome, awww yeah👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍" (unironically)
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?