Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritzgryphon

Insects currently can't be flagged for hunting.

Also, chemfuel is worth less than the wood used to make it  ($84 of wood to make $74 of fuel).  Could still be a trade good if you exceed the limit of how much wood the trader will buy.

mlzovozlm

Quote from: fritzgryphon on August 04, 2018, 02:57:10 PM

Also, chemfuel is worth less than the wood used to make it  ($84 of wood to make $74 of fuel).  Could still be a trade good if you exceed the limit of how much wood the trader will buy.

on the chemfuel, 'd chemfuel from simple meal be more efficient or boomalope?
's boomalope worth it? especially in mid/late game when simple meals 're abundant, not to mention the tameness reduction, last run there was a period of time when i've got ~40 animals, including huskies, retrievers, boomalopes, alpacas, muffalos, even with a team of 30-something colonists, all of whom can do handling, there were still 'defecting' animals reappearing on the map (mostly muffalo+boomalope) every couple of days (i didn't even know they defected lol, couldn't careless)

Crow_T

The past couple of says I've been seeing a update but it says  0 bytes/0 bytes downloaded, is this a Steam thing?
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

dogthinker

Quote from: mlzovozlm on August 04, 2018, 03:51:47 PM
on the chemfuel, 'd chemfuel from simple meal be more efficient or boomalope?
's boomalope worth it? especially in mid/late game when simple meals 're abundant, not to mention the tameness reduction, last run there was a period of time when i've got ~40 animals, including huskies, retrievers, boomalopes, alpacas, muffalos, even with a team of 30-something colonists, all of which can do handle, there were still 'defecting' animals (mostly muffalo+boomalope) every couple of days

I've got a similar size herd, in a much smaller colony. I think 'can do' is not the same as 'should do' in this case. I think one or two high level animal skill colonists doing all the handling on a high priority should be able to manage a herd of that size. You don't want low skill colonists assigned to the work, because they'll fail the training attempts, while still denying the high level colonists the chance to do the job properly (since there's a per animal cooldown on training attempts).

Koek

Quote from: mlzovozlm on August 04, 2018, 03:51:47 PM

's boomalope worth it?

Since the handling skill is now useful for your hunters, boomalopes are even better than before. With boomalopes you get plenty chemfuel for your generators and fuel to launch gifts all over the place without the extra labour of getting the resource for your biofuel refinery.
Since training and milking them raises your handling level, I'd say it's very worth it to have your hunters also be handlers.

Boomalopes are awesome and a must have next to some muffalos.

Lanilor

- Caravan animals from other factions follow their owner when he goes eating on my table. I store my meals close by my table so my colonists don't need to walk much. Sadly this results in that the caravan animals start to eat my meals when they walk there. Just happened again and I lost a few lavish meals to chinchillas. Oh, and they also eat nearby crops any time.

- My own animals instantly walk over from whereever when I harvest ambrosia. I excluded the ambrosia plants already with a zone and the area around them, but sometimes when someone harvests a crop, he drops it 1 or 2 cells away, so out of the restricted zone in this case. I can't even force my colonist to haul them away, it gets canceled when an animal is eating it. This also happens sometimes with other crops, but for ambrosia the animals just seem to run instantly from across the map to eat them.

- Colonists sometimes act strange when they gather material for crafting or constructing. For some reason they sometimess prefer to take material which is further away from them and from the target. For some parts of this, I think they prefer to take something from their room and not the targets room, even if that would be closer. For other cases I didn't find a pattern. Like my cook has rice right next to him and the stove but prefers to get a stack on the other end of the room closer to the butcher table. But when he makes kibble on the butcher table, he goes for the rice stack right next to the stove.

- Using stockpile priorities can be a big waste of colonists time. I tried to put small stockpiles with high priority of rice next to the stove so the cook doesn't need to walk far. But everytime he grabs rice from the priority stockpile, someone else comes from further away to refill the missing 5 rice. Would be nice to have a settable limit or something so they only refill when a stack is empty or a simple timer may also do the job (after refilling, don't refill for the next ingame hour if it's not an empty cell).

- Also if someone starts to carry harvested rice from the fields, with priority stockpiles he now only carries 5 to fill the missing 5 rice in the priority stockpile and not 75 and put the rest on the stockpile next to it. Priority piles are nice to order stuff that lies around, but while working it is not very useful.

Toast

Quote from: fritzgryphon on August 04, 2018, 02:57:10 PM

Sounds like maybe we need the ability to go bughunting when they're coming out of the walls.  :P

Crow_T

cassandra rough, jungle, almost 3 years in, Tribal

Some quick feedback so far:
I'm playing with a pretty sloppy playstyle for fun, trying different things and not caring a whole lot and letting pawns do their thing most of the time. I have a good economy: beer, tea, art, and alpaca parkas. The 50/60 grow season helps to play a bit more frivolously, this was a random pick, I've never done a jungle before.

Lovin' the melee- picked up 2 shield belts from a trader kind of early on, I've never used melee so much in a playthrough (started in a17). So fun to just walk up to enemies- even mechs- and beat the crap out of them.

I have no idea what armor combos are good and don't really care, I just make some and let the non-melee pawns equip whatever they want. One combat death from a charge lance one-shot so far. I've had 2 brain injuries as well, seems more common than in the past? One incident with a poor marine helmet equipped v0v

Playing vanilla and not wanting to mod at the moment, 2 QoL life mods that I'd like to have are a sunlamp planner and cut blighted crops. Other than that nothing stands out as being missing or annoying.

Getting raided quite a bit but that's fine, the scaling seems reasonable. 3 small drop ins, 3 ships, and raids as usual. I'm not sure how to do the in-game screen cap on Linux or where they get saved...
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Underscore

When did we stop getting alerts for infections? I feel like that's an important enough event to warrant an alert.

PigFlyer

Storyteller: Cassandra
Scenario: Naked Brutality
Difficulty: Merceliss
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest (30/60), Small Hills
Commitment mode: Yes
Current colony age (days): 172
Hours played in the last 2 days: 17 hours

(1.0.1982, no mods)

I played on extreme 4 times on several different 1.0 versions.  This was my longest lasting colony so far on 1.0, about a few days longer than a couple of my extreme colonies.  It lasted 172 days.

- My largest complaint, which became most apparent in this playthrough, is the absolute effectiveness of just spamming the entrances of my colony with deadfall traps, despite their nerfs.  It completely nullifies manhunter packs, and it caused most raids on me to flee with minimal bloodshed on the colony's part.  The only time raids caused any real damage was during seiges, but once we got snipers, it was easy to start picking them off, until they attacked the colony directly.  Before doing so, they only fought back by firing mortars, which, especially when my pawns were spread out, was ineffective, instead of just engaging with the snipers directly.  The colony had to be attacked while most of the residence was out fighting a poison ship, before finally losing.  It was also very easy to lure wild animals during the winter by leaving a couple of meals outside into my deadfall traps and esteemed gunmen.

- In the items list for stockpile zones/production benches, I think that human and insect meat should be put at the top of the meat subcategories like human and insect corpses.

- I never attended peace talks, as I felt it was pointless and expensive to become friends with the mean factions when I could just trade with the people that already liked my colony.

- I attempted to fulfill a trade request using a drop pod, and the faction just accepted it as a normal gift.  Is this intentional?  Am I overlooking the proper means to fulfill it using the pod, or am I unable to do this?

- Since the game now tells you exactly how long until your items spoil instead of rounding the days, why not do that when it is going to spoil in less than a day instead of just displaying "spoils in less than a day"?  It would be a minor convenience.

- When the wildlife tab is taller than the screen, if you're queuing something to be hunted at the top of the list with a chance that it will fight back, the warning message displays over the queue for hunting and taming buttons, making them inaccessible for a duration.

- This one may be too focused on semantics, but pawns incapable of skilled labor are able to do medical, and pawns incapable of unskilled labor are unable to do crafting.  The former is only a little misleading, and the latter makes sense because things like crafting weapons and armor should be skill-based, but this also means the pawn can't break down slag and chunks.  I know this is nit-picky, and these decisions are probably for game balance, but I just thought I might bring it up.

(This last one is not from to this playthough.)

- Since I didn't have a good miner early on, one of my previous colonies had little access to steel, so it relied on campfires for heat and wood stoves for food.  Since we started in the tundra, there was little wood.  My colonist had put it our whole last stack (around 40) into the stove before I noticed, and our campfires were nearly burned out.  I was unable to take it out without disassembling it.  Some means of removing the wood by other means would be cool.

EDIT: Forgot my screenshots, whoops.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Dolphinizer

Storyteller: Cassandra, started rough
Difficulty: started rough but switched to savage about two years in
Biome/hilliness: Desert, small hills
Commitment mode: Yes
Current colony age (days): 330 something ish I think? not sure
Hours played in the last 2 days: ~10 hours
Complete mod list: Numbers

Just finished my playthrough by sending the ship out. Starting with the classic crashlanded scenario in the desert and set up a basic base next to a river. I was doing a playthrough where I had one of my starting colonists designated a VIP and I had the goal of keeping her alive for the entire playthrough and getting her off the planet at all costs.

The first few years went by quite well, I was lucky to have a decent amount of soil so I was farming potatoes and corn and was raising a large (~30ish) army of labradors to fight my battles for me. I have to say the labrador army felt really balanced, at their best they could really do some damage but it certainly did take a lot of food and work to keep up and on harder raids I could have 5-15 labradors die just in one raid. My first and second colonist deaths were sudden, one of my colonists was struck in the heart by a scyther's first shot and killed instantly as he ran to cover and the other had her sternum shot out by a uranium turret a day after a battle when oen of the downed enemies got up to walk away and my the turret missed and shot my colonist instead. I lost two more colonists to friendly fire from turrets, both one shot through the back of the head when I forgot to tell the turret to cease fire.

After losing two of my colonists to a sapper raid that managed to get inside my base with grenades and rocket launchers (and kill 15 of my hounds in the process) I accepted a prisoner quest to save a prisoner from a pirate camp with some turrets and a guard. I formed a caravan of four of my best pawns and a camel, packed 6 days of food for the 2 day journey and set on my way. The rescue went off without a hitch, but on the way back is where the trouble came in. I had sent one of my colonists who was addicted to luciferium along with the caravan, but I had forgotten to pack a pill with him, and on the way back he began to enter luci withdrawal. To make the matter even worse, he was my VIP, the colonist I had sworn to protect even if it meant the life of every other colonist I had. I quickly sent a one man caravan out carrying nothing but some food and one pill of luci and set up a second colony where my VIP and his caravan stopped to rendezvous with the pillbearer. We got to the colony, the VIP took his pill and then decided before we go to raid an ancient danger, that too went off without a hitch but unfortunately the days without recreation, beds or tables had taken their toll on the colonists. Just after the ancient danger raid was finished four of my now 6 colonists (4 colonists from the initial caravan, one rescued prisoner and the pillbearer) decided to have a mental break. Normally this wouldn't be so bad but unfortunately for me, my VIP decided now would be a great time to go catatonic. With my VIP catatonic I could not leave the camp with him in tow, carrying his unconscious body was simply not an option the caravan screen gave me. So as we were running out of food we threw the VIP into one of the ancient danger cryptopods and made our way home. Once home we loaded pod launchers and sent two colonists over with some wood, steel, components and food, we planned to simply babysit the VIP in his catatonic state until he woke up and we could go home. After a few close raids at the camp our VIP finally woke up and we managed to evac him back to the safety of the motherbase. The entire process had been much more trouble then it should have been but ultimately it was really fun and i'm glad it happened.

Shortly after that we decided to build the ship to evac our VIP, we set it up, built the reactor, some of the components and one cryopod, only the VIP was allowed to leave. We powered up the reactor and prepared for a fight, i had never made the ship before so I didn't really know what to expect. The ship was not quite complete yet as I had only built one engine not knowing that I needed three so I was racing against time somewhat trying to procure enough uranium and advanced components to finish the final two engines.

The first few raids were tough, and we lost a few colonists, but we were managing pretty well. On the harder raids we would call for reinforcements and we were giving away tens of thousands of silver pieces to maintain our faction relationships. As the reactor timer ticked down though things got more and more hectic, short recovery times between raids had forced me to field smaller forces and our hound population was reduced from 50 to less than 20 suprisingly quickly. I lost a few colonists and there were perpetually colonists on mental breaks from the combined stress of them losing their wifes, daughters, fathers and bonded animals by the bushel but we were holding together. The worst raid was small tribal raid that should have been easy to deal with, they came as 3 small raiding groups simultaneously, but unfortunately I did not realize that until too late, if i had realized that the tribals were coming from three different raids i could have easily dealt with them, but my forces were all positioned to deal with only one raid. By the time I realized there were two other raiding parties they had a few of my stray colonists in their clutches. I scrambled to redirect my troops but the tribals were able to escape, taking 6 of my colonists hostage with them. This was a massive blow to me, up until then I had 15 colonists, now I had only 9, and one of them was catatonic, making my able bodied colonist count drop to 8, not including colonists tied up in sickbay and other mental breaks. I barely scraped by for the remainder of the countdown and my colonists were mental breaking left and right, luckily though we were able to hold on and we managed to get our VIP out without losing another colonist.

By the end the hallways of my base were painted red with blood, all of my colonists except the VIP were missing limbs, digits and eyes, but we had triumphed, we had got the VIP off the planet.

This was a really excellent playthrough, it was the first playthrough that I really started to use caravans and I found them to be really fun, I encountered no bugs and the balance seemed pretty good for the most part. I think i'm going to end my game here because I accomplished the goal i set out to accomplish , but this was definitely my best playthrough yet, and my first planet escape in 215 hours of play.

I liked the new deadfall traps a lot, I built them all out of stone as I was in a desert and I found them quite powerful, but still balanced as the 30 stone is takes to lay them adds up quick.

The uranium slug turrets were really really good, and I liked using them a lot, the power of those things is not to be trifled with, they one hit many pawns, (including some of my own colonists) and watching them instagib manhunting rhinos and elephants was really satisfying. I also feel like these are in a great place balancewise, they're extremely powerful long range, their massive explosion radius upon destruction, expensive cost and inability to fight close range balance them well IMO.

All in all this playthrough took 30 hours.

mlzovozlm

i just start a run today,
Cassandra Rough - Temperate Forest - Large Hill - 50 days
it's probably due to me being more used to Randy that i feel this run is quite hectic with all the raids she threw at my colony, & meteors too

the starting was quite normal, if not faster than my previous runs since this time i don't have to mine out mountain(s) for the base but simply put up fast-building wooden-wall rooms

since the game start, there were 4 caravan quests, the 1st 2 were "Peace Offer", the 1st one turned failure, meanwhile the 2nd success, which, in the end, negated each other out

then come the 3rd one, a caravan request, for 18 T-Shirt, in exchange for a power cell & a techprof, this could be very helpful early game indeed, imagine getting micro-electronic or geothermal instantly
the problem was, eventhough the caravan request was sent by a "close-by" settlement, it was not close at all, all because of the impassable mountain range in between, a travel which if go directly/straightly, should've take only 1.5-3 days to travel, now become a 9-10 days journey
and the quest only last 18 days!
so i got my best handler, with 10-skill in handling to immediately tame all those alpaca on the map
setting my best researcher on pemmican
then setting everyone having a gun on hunting down all the megasloths
everything was in a rush, the researcher finished the pemmican research in 2-3 days, in the mean time, another pawn's got to go dig out all the steel & component close by to build another electric stove
during that, the tailor tried her luck with all the wools & clothes, making 18 T-Shirts
right as the research finished, there was only ~14 days left, the tailor, Muffins was also the colony's cook, which mean she couldn't devote the whole time for the shirt order, then there was the neccessary pemmicans for the long travel too
it's now 10 days left & with all effort, Muffins & the other pawn, who has a 1-flame passion cooking skill 3, had barely made 300 pemmicans & finished the 18 shirts, luckily, there were a few Survival Pack Meals left over from the landing, totally just enough to support 2 people for ~20 days
the handler also barely managed to tame 5 alpacas, so out of 4 pawns, 2, 1 with a plasteel knife, 1 with bolt-action, set out for the request with 5 alpacas, ETA of 9.2 days to the settlement, with ~10 days left before the deal being closed

the other 2 not-so-skilled revolver-wielding pawns stayed behind to tend to the left-behind husky & boomalope, & there were 2 prisoners to feed too

just as the colony was divided into 2, a raid of 4 came...at the same with another space refugee pod ...

well, fortunately, with extreme careful kiting, the 4 pirates finally get pushed back, mostly by Muffins though as the other pawn, Hairy, the handler, get downed by a pirate shortly they invaded the base

Muffins this run since the start really was the one that kept the colony running, being highly-skilled & passionate in doctoring, cooking, constructing, planting, crafting, tailoring, smithing

----------------------------
in any case, the early caravan quest-giving is a bit rigged if there's a impassable mountain range in between, eventhough the distance was 'only' ~25 tiles by straight line, the snakey snakey road around the mountain range made it into something around >100

Teleblaster18

Quote from: Underscore on August 04, 2018, 07:12:05 PM
When did we stop getting alerts for infections? I feel like that's an important enough event to warrant an alert.

Tynan confirmed it's a bug that will get fixed.

Greep

>.> Apparently there's a hard cap of about 16 batteries for the game.  Using 23:

Zzzt #1:  6 mortars and 2 LRMS blew up.
Zzzt #2: chemfuel generator blew up.

Thankfully not too much an issue at this point in the game, though.

Edit: actually I can just split the circuit.  Ugh.  6 battery banks.  nooooooooooooooo.

[attachment deleted due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

zizard

Toxic fallout on colder biomes prevents almost all wood harvesting for the next 3 years. The chance to kill trees should be reduced.