[1.0] Share your tips or knowledge about the new combat system

Started by Jibbles, June 30, 2018, 08:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jibbles

Not sure if the team is still making major updates to this area, so some of these posts might become inaccurate at some point.

Thought it would be interesting to see what players have learned about it.  Talk about; the guns you like to use and why, armor, strategies, ai behavior, how you're dealing with raiders/mechs etc. Anything really!

Ser Kitteh

Perhaps OP should add 1.0 just to be super clear?

It's pretty agreed upon that the best method to deal with centipedes nowadays is EMPs plus 3 dudes in plate with maces. I've gotten a masterwork charged lance deflect off the armour an unnecessary amount of times with my best shooter. Centipedes are tough, your melee fighters need to be tougher.

On the other side, scythers and lancers can go toe to toe with a single maceman with bruises and the odd cut. ARs and superior dakka can still down scythes and lances, but not as easily as in B18 and before.

Greep

Luckily I haven't run into centipede drop pods, but other than that I've noticed they tend to lock onto a single target and try to kill it.  So for taking out singular separated centipedes I'm just having someone stand really far away so the forced miss rarely hits, and have everyone else gank it from behind with
two hex away shooting. 

But centipede drop pods in your base sound really mortifying.

Mostly I'm using dead men's guns and dead men's power armor mixed with my own plate.  Too expensive still to craft my own power armor and weapons when i could put it into turrets which can be spammed with the new power requirements.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Serina

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on June 30, 2018, 11:17:45 AM
Perhaps OP should add 1.0 just to be super clear?

It's pretty agreed upon that the best method to deal with centipedes nowadays is EMPs plus 3 dudes in plate with maces. I've gotten a masterwork charged lance deflect off the armour an unnecessary amount of times with my best shooter. Centipedes are tough, your melee fighters need to be tougher.

So far I've been disposing of centipedes using AR from max distance while hiding behind a block of granite wall for cover.
I absolutely love using EMPs on mechs, it's a life saver. I haven't tried to melee centipedes using maces yet, so I'll try that next time.

ReZpawner

EMP is fun until they start resisting - then it quickly turns sour. Very sour. Ragequit type sour with extra salt.

Ser Kitteh

Does anyone how EMP stuns work? Is a percentage based thing?

Tynan

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 01, 2018, 08:27:40 AM

Non-random. First hit stuns for a long time, then they're adapted and barely affected by subsequent hits. Adaptation wears off after a (semi)-long time. It's simple, you basically get one really good stun in a fight.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kirby23590

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 01, 2018, 08:27:40 AM

First time using a EMP on say a centipede. It will get stunned for minutes ingame.

Second time using a EMP on the same centipede. It's adapted to EMP and the same said centipede is now immune it and is not very effective.

Luckily after booting up rimworld with the new combat. With Two Snipers and One Shield Belt User Plus an Grenadier With EMP-Nades. After a curtain while. The same centipede will lost adaption for EMP if you stopped spamming on it.

Just tell the pawn with the EMP Grenades after throwing a EMP at the mechanoid. Tell her or him to hide for a while and after a few seconds. The mechanoid will loose adaption to EMP.

Quote from: Tynan on July 01, 2018, 08:33:34 AM
Non-random. First hit stuns for a long time, then they're adapted and barely affected by subsequent hits. Adaptation wears off after a (semi)-long time. It's simple, you basically get one really good stun in a fight.
:D
I should write this one down. i think i got a few tricks i could learn in combat ingame before and after the full release of rimworld.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Ser Kitteh

This is good to know! Does it matter if a mechanoid gets grenaded with either one grenade or multiple?

Ukas

You can frag mechanoids all you want and its a good if somewhat risky way to take them out. They just adapt to EMP nades.

Personally I play 400x400 map, so raiding mechanoids will sometimes get stunned several times by EMP mortar ammo. Mortar stuns divide their group, and often I get to destroy them one or two at the time, instead of the whole army.

Jibbles

Quote from: Serina on June 30, 2018, 02:36:50 PM
I absolutely love using EMPs on mechs, it's a life saver. I haven't tried to melee centipedes using maces yet, so I'll try that next time.

Me too. I'm glad we are able to make them ourselves now!  I haven't played around with melee that much, I may try out that 3 mace strategy as well. About to switch to Cass so I can experiment with raids a bit more.

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 01, 2018, 08:56:52 AM
Does it matter if a mechanoid gets grenaded with either one grenade or multiple?

Won't change all that much with emp's. You could have 8 pawns throwing them at one mech and you'll notice real fast that it's not effective lol.  Tho it's nice to have two in my experience in case something goes wrong. I would normally spam where they're not throwing at the same time cause every second counts against that charged lance when pawns aren't geared up.

Traps and bridges.  Haven't tried in a normal game so I'm not sure if it's something they'll avoid in future raids.  Rather not do this in a normal game so if someone else wants to follow up then please do. 

You could lay them down like this and they'll most likely walk to that spot and trigger traps. Using traps on normal bridges would work as well. Setting IED's on bridges would be effective.  Not sure if it's well known, throwing it out there anyways.

Awe

Quote from: Serina on June 30, 2018, 02:36:50 PM

Just managed to kill psy-ship in middle of my base without any kiting. 5 centipedes and few lancers/scythers. Lure small ones to near building, kill them inside. Then just rush into melee range of each centipede with my power armored guys with maces to block centipedes shots. Work pretty nice - power armored guys bring enough time for shooters to do their job. All leave battlefield at theit feets.

Greep

Had a mechanoid drop pod recently:  EMP grenades were very effective in buying me a few seconds, I almost want to have 20% of my colony just holding these suckers just in case mechs drop in a bad place.

Anyways, I got the drop on THEM.  I called some faction buddies and the first drop pods were a bit away, but I called some more down and they dropped right next to them.

Kind of sadistic, but they died for my evil drug colony a good cause.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Jibbles

Personally finding incendiaries more useful in this update.  Very effective against pawns who are geared up.  Just be careful when playing with fire.

Gfurst

Quote from: Tynan on July 01, 2018, 08:33:34 AM
I'm kinda conflicted with this one honestly, its not like the grenade pawn can just pocket another proper weapon, which makes it a somewhat one useful shot only. On the other hand having mechs go perma stun wouldn't be great either.