2 simple ideas to make electricity more awesome

Started by dragonalumni, July 12, 2018, 10:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonalumni

I'm not a big fan of mods, and maybe this belongs to that topic, but I would really like to see this become part of the main game.

1. New Electrical device: Cross Jump : What does it do? It is built on the map just like a switch, but instead of switch mechanics, it allows power from north-south to be separate from power provided from east-west, with this simple device, base building mechanics can be a hell of a lot more complex and yet easier to manage, things like what you want on and what you want off.

2. 2nd new electrical device. [the or switch] What does it do: The or switch would look like a normal switch, but in this case, power could be provided from any direction. If the power is provided from the north for example, flipping said switch would send electricity to west OR east and in this case, south should be allowed to leach the electricity as normal.  Otherwise power can be provided/leached from east-west and the north-south becomes the OR.

3. bonus - I would like to see the original switch, the cross-over and the OR-switch have some sort of color tint that would give a hint to their status, for example the original switch have a light green for ON and a light red if it is off, while the crossover would simple have  north/south tinted some color and east-west, the OR switch might be more complicated to color but I can dream!

Thanks for reading.

dragonalumni

::) Is this simply not useful to other people or is it hard to understand what I'm describing?

5thHorseman

I missed this the first time, though I probably would not have responded then because I don't find any real utility in these. My bases' power is always one big thing so separating them isn't even an issue. I'm sure there are reasons to do so, but I'm also sure I'll never get that deep into them.

The ONLY reason I've EVER used a switch is to separate some batteries from the grid so when there's a ZZZT event I can switch them back on to keep the base running.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

dragonalumni

Quote from: 5thHorseman on July 21, 2018, 04:16:49 AM
The ONLY reason I've EVER used a switch is to separate some batteries from the grid so when there's a ZZZT event I can switch them back on to keep the base running.
This is the main reason for wanting an "OR" switch. You run power into a battery room and if you flick the switch one way it powers/draws from one set of batteries, and if you flip it again it switches to the other set, that way you can try to get one set full charged, and flip to backups.