The Clan Mays

Started by Grimelord82, July 24, 2018, 02:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimelord82

After enduring over three thousand years of relativistic hypersleep (with a bit more during the trip while her daughter and husband were shiphands), the Danielle crashlands on the Rim!

The ship AI kept screaming something about 1974 villagepeople...

On the way down, the crashpod cameras were showing us a mountainous area, with our resources badly distributed. There looked to be a promising geothermal system valley to the west..but we were going to come down in a sharp sided mountain meadow. Good thing my daughter and I know how to dig.

Amazing! Belle found a seam in the slate and followed it. We've opened up a cave, so the work to get to the west valley is much reduced AND we have shelter.

Thermal imagery indicates cave systems to the north, but we have more pressing concerns for the moment. The crashpods only contained a few seeds, some of which say "For Experienced Farmers Only!" I guess we're sticking with corn, rice and potatoes for now. At least we have fertile soil on which to plant.

Jacob thinks we're going to need some walls, and soon, so he's been chipping rocks in the cave. I think we're going too be busy for many days to come, but at least I can snuggle him at night.

Danielle Mays, First Log, Aprimay 14th, Planet Mahasim-8
----
This was a neat char-gen. Mother and Daughter were there from the start. I had to stop when the  husband showed up. Danielle must have been drawn to him because of the child spy background they share.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Grimelord82

Danielle, 7th Jugust
It's a veritable circus here! Three huskies, a male and two females smelled the blood trails from the sloths I've killed so far. No time to train then, still need to get walls up and plant more.

Some...cats showed up? A whole feral colony. But they're too stupid to do anything but beg for handouts, despite the rats, rabbits and squirrels that abound here. I'm letting them starve.

An alpaca took a liking to our rice field and seems content to hang around.

Caught my daughter shaking her ass at Jacob. But he's smart enough to know what's what.

---------------
OOC: It seems like cats are too stupid to do anything but starve. They have the entire map to hunt on but refuse to do so despite being .26 to .15 body size advantaged vs smallest prey animals. They really ought to do what standard cats are good at and clear vermin. They're sleeping wherever they like since I have no animal spots layed out, but 12/12 of them are going to die due to starvation.

Daughter Belle flirting with her stepfather, despite him being married and her mother right THERE. If this doesn't have a lower rate of occurence than standard flirting, it should. Or...*sleazy jazz music intensifies*

Several mad animal events stopped by Slate deadfall traps. 3+ injuries per trap.

Grimelord82

Danielle, 3rd Entry, Decembrary 2nd

So much has happened!
Early September we started getting "raided". A Manhunting cariboud here, a crazed tribal there. I'd laid down a few deadfall traps, and despite them not being reusable they've been invaluable.

Feces really hit the nutri-system dispenser on the 6th though. An escape pod fell out of the sky with Fields in it. We immediately hit it off discussing his past after my daughter patched him up. He decided to stay and is quite good with his hands. Belle says his breathing is due to some of the wounds he's taken, but whatever, it still creeps me out. At least he's good at quite a few things.

That same day we get a call on the radio...someone is in trouble. So we send out a ping and Carney shows up...chased by raiders who we quickly dispatch.

The day after that, the sky turns green and things started to die. The harvest had just come in, but we had to shift it around and put some more roofs up. Greenhouses from here out it is, thanks to my research work.

Things have just been trucking along since, more raids show up, die to my traps and get shot. I'm also finally training the huskies.

-----------------
Still on build 1974 for all that. Raids were quite a bit easier compared to a couple patches ago. The graph has 3 dots, but I've had 5 raids and a manhunter so far. One raid caused by chased refugee.
I can see how having a resource cost for deadfalls makes complimentary sense with IEDs. Building them from stone is a bit work intensive, but wood is precious in the mountains.