Construction shouldn't automatically cut down trees

Started by shentino, August 10, 2018, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shentino

Ok, so you have a construction blueprint obstructed by a big fat tree.

Your builder is stellar in construction, but is lousy at plants, so it'll take him AGES to cut it down.  Or worse, what if his plant skill is completely disabled?

Idea: Instead of having constructors cut plants down, have them mark the plant for cutting and wait for a gardener to chop it instead.

Chicken Breast

I do understand why you want it, but at the same time I feel like it is something that will backfire. Just for the sake of the argument, I'd say that it could be an issue both ways. In this case, it can be an inconvenience. In your idea, I see it being an issue also just because now if you DON'T have a plant cutter, you're boned.

I know this isn't what you mean, but it reminds me of how people will technically 'haul' things even if they 'will never haul anything'. Idk, it's a coding thing, I'm sure. At least if plant-cutting isn't disabled for your construction guy, he'll get better over time?

Sig by Me!

InventorRaccoon

I think the annoyance of having to wait for a constructor to slowly cut down a tree is far less than the annoyance of having to wait for a grower to come over to where the construction is happening and cut it down themselves. What if the grower isn't even that much better? You're wasting so much time walking over to the construction spot just to cut down trees that the constructor can do themselves.

erdrik

Quote from: InventorRaccoon on August 10, 2018, 01:49:50 PM
... What if the grower isn't even that much better? You're wasting so much time walking over to the construction spot just to cut down trees that the constructor can do themselves.
Also if the grower is currently sowing or harvesting, and "plant cutting" is less priority than "grow" then the constructor has to wait till the grower is done harvesting before finishing his job.

shentino

It's also an exploit, because now you can use construction ghosts to have a builder cut plants down even if their plant skill is disabled or crippled

5thHorseman

Quote from: shentino on August 10, 2018, 10:30:18 PM
It's also an exploit, because now you can use construction ghosts to have a builder cut plants down even if their plant skill is disabled or crippled

Sounds like a bugfix to me ;)

I love it when my hunters who can't haul are dragging their kill home, and I need to interrupt them for some reason so they drop the carcass on the ground, and then refuse to ever touch it again.  :o
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Bobisme

Maybe have the constructor drop a crap amount of wood ~jimmy (the builder) failed at cutting tree some resources lost?
As others have said you don't have a tree cutter you're screwed or ..forced to build elsewhere?

Bolgfred

If a blueprint is set, it should be build asap. If there is a mismanagement in cutting priority this will block the building forever maybe and nobody notice if a builder wouldn't go for it.
It might be  beneficial in some circumstances, but will mostly be confusing, as there is a blueprint, but the builder doesn't interact with.

As already mentioned, the right answer is to mark the tree manually, inviting a cutter to cut whenever he can.

Same do I in a young colony with much greenscape. Then the builder starts building where he can and my cutters cut trees inbetween, taking away 80% of cutting business.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil