[MOD] (Alpha 5) Mechanical Defense v0.3.5 --FIXED (by Haplo)

Started by mipen, June 29, 2014, 09:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mipen

Mechanical Defense

--Thanks to the valiant efforts of Haplo, the mod has been restored to working condition and will no longer break on save/reload. Please give him a thumbs up! :D

Description:
Mechanical Defense adds a variety of new ways to defend your colony. From Stun Cannons to Shotgun Turrets to autonomous droids, you will find something for every situation you find yourself in. Add in some strange and wonderful names randomly generated for each droid, and a buildable joke machine to lighten up the drab atmosphere of the colony everything will be a-okay!

Features:
--All new turret types, with many more to come.
--A complex crafting system.
--Droids!

I have many plans for additional features, and will add to this list accordingly.

Currently operational turrets are:
--Artillery Cannon - A large, devastating cannon that fires highly explosive rounds and is very accurate with a massive range. However, it has a long reload time and woe to the man stood next to it when it is destroyed.
--Gatling Laser - This laser cannon has the idea of getting a lot of fire down range and not really caring where it goes. Each indivudual bolt doesn't do a lot of damage, but with a constant long stream of them swarming out, pirates will be shredded in no time.
--Flak Cannon - This turret was originally designed to take down aircraft on Earth. With a little ingenuous engineering, it has be retrofitted onto a turret base and pointed at the pirates. Accurate and fast firing, it is an upgrade to the vanilla turret and will light up the pirates with ease (literally).
--Stun cannon - this cannon is the perfect crowd control; it can stun large crowds of enemies and stop them from moving for that critical moment. Unfortunately, such concussive forces require time to prepare.
--Shotgun turret - for when enemies want to get close and personal.

Turrets I have planned:
--Bean bag launcher - usually used on civilian crowds, this turret can knock most pirates unconscious.
--Pre-fabricated turret - Extremely quick to setup, this turret is perfect for shoring up defenses in the midst of battle.
--Advanced CQC turret - The shotgun turret's big brother, this monstrosity has perfected the art of massacring pirates at close range.
--Sniper turret - perfect for dispatching the enemy from afar.

And more to come as I think of them. Feel free to leave suggestions if you like :D

Droids:
These droids feature sparkling, original names. Each time a droid is built it is randomly assigned a two or three part nickname. The first is an adjective, the second an actual name, the third a title. No two droids will be a like. Each is also given a random childhood story, so don't forget to check those out, either.

Currently operational droids:
--Household droid - built from haphazardly put together turret parts, this droid isn't capable of much. However, there's always need for housekeeping!
--Combat droid - perfect addition to the ranks, this droids advanced target acquisition gives it powerful capabilities on the field. However, it has a penchant for exploding when knocked down or too badly damaged.
--Joker droid - periodically sends a message with a joke inside.
--Growing droid - Organics always need food, and droids are here to provide.
--Crafting droid - Who said that droids creating droids was perverse? Because it isn't. Truly.
--Mining droid - Because organics are prone to being squished by cave-ins.
--Cooking droid - Cooking up a storm.

Droids I have planned:
--Brawler droid - Who needs weapons when one has perfectly good fists of steel?
--Suicide droid - Sprints at the enemy and explodes, simple as that.

Other things planned:
--Blast resistant wire - turrets which explode violently have called for innovations in cabling technology.
--Pre fabricated wire - instantly lain, this wire is useful for when you need power now.

How to:
-Research options unlocked after researching stonecutting and improved gun cooling
-Complete research, build components, build turrets, build droids.
A readme is included in the mod root folder if you need extra help

The more advanced turrets use a lot of power, so a power mod like BetterPower+ might be nice to have.
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2249.0

Downloads:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8fv5g0ay88xmuj/MechanicalDefense%20v0.3.5.rar
Source code is included.

Licensing
Licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Acknowledgements:
A big thank you to mispy for letting me use his source code as a reference guide in the making of my own mod.
Find his awesome mod Mechatronics here: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3957.0
A huge credit to gertvv, his coding in his mod was invaluable for helping me figure things out. Check out his mod here:
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3940.0
And Haplo, the genius. Big credit goes to him too. Check out his mod here:
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3612.0
--Haplo has fixed the gamebreaking issues found in versions v0.3.2 and below, so if you enjoy the mod, please go and give him a clap on the back! :D --

Feel free to post any questions or suggestions in the comments.
I am also looking for someone willing to do some art for the mod, as I couldn't draw my way off a piece of paper. If you would like to do it, feel free to send me a pm  :)

Changelog:

(v0.3.5)
>>FIXED! The amazing Haplo hast bestowed upon me a working version of the mod, and it now
functions correctly. Much graditude is thrown his way!
(v0.3.2)
>>Bug fixes and tweaks
(v0.3.1)
>>Changed droid stories, fixed bugs revolving around those
>>Added four new droids; growing, building, mining and cooking
>>Increased power usage of droid hub
>>Other tweaks and fixes
(v0.2.7)
>>Changed droid job searching, now will no longer become colonists
>>Removed droid story, colonists will no longer become droids
(v0.2.5)
>>Updated to alpha 5
>>Changed droid charging station to droid hub; now repairs droids.
>>fixed minor typos
>>balancing acts for some turrets
(v0.2.3)
>>Changed how droids are created (read readme for help)
>>tweaked droid charger power usage
>>tweaked SkillNeedDefs to better control what you get from crafting
(v0.2.0)
>>Complete rewrite on droids, now will function very well.
>>Droids now require power
>>Overhaul on crafting. Nowhere near as complex or as many one use parts, has all been streamlined.
>>Removed some items that aren't needed
>>Added droid charging station

PsychoForge

Ill give this mod a try and get back to you with what i thought :) the current turret mod im using doesnt seem to hurt enemies sadly.

So now ill try yours :)

V3cta

Trying it out too. But a few pics and more informations would be great for others. ;-)
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Jessi

Sniper turrets don't shoot at anything, and energy turrets do no damage or miss every shot on direct hits.
A curious little creature...

PsychoForge

The furnace was available to be built before i researched turret cooling but only after researching stone cutting, I havent built any turrets yet but done lots of researching so far :)

mipen

Quote from: PsychoForge on June 30, 2014, 09:54:07 AM
The furnace was available to be built before i researched turret cooling but only after researching stone cutting, I havent built any turrets yet but done lots of researching so far :)
Yup, that's how I intended it =] The other research unlocks actually building the turrets. The furnace just makes the parts for them, I'm planning some more stuff that will use the same parts.

Quote from: Jessi on June 30, 2014, 08:47:04 AM
Sniper turrets don't shoot at anything, and energy turrets do no damage or miss every shot on direct hits.
The Artillery Cannon requires a lot of power to run, if it doesn't have enough it won't do anything. I could only get two or three running on a geothermal generator. The energy turrets are more for close range, it has the idea of getting a lot of fire down range and not really caring where it goes. I needed to ramp down the damage or they just killed everything in one go. But I'll have a look and see if I can't tweak them =]
Quote from: Exampl3 on June 30, 2014, 07:12:57 AM
Trying it out too. But a few pics and more informations would be great for others. ;-)
Good point! Some more information and pics coming up soon!

PsychoForge

Now that looks cool, Hauling Droid might be nice to go out and grab all the items falling from ships in orbit, mining droids? Ive flattened many a organic mining large rooms before :P Opps :D

mipen

Quote from: PsychoForge on June 30, 2014, 11:03:53 AM
Now that looks cool, Hauling Droid might be nice to go out and grab all the items falling from ships in orbit, mining droids? Ive flattened many a organic mining large rooms before :P Opps :D
Great idea! Added to the list :)

ShaggyD00

Why have colonist if you can just build an army of droids for everything? Seems like a game breaker.

V3cta

Nice to see this new droids. But i've got a suggestion: because of the droids now.. maybe you should find a more fitting name for the mod. :) and good work. Played a while with this awesome mod now. The crafting system is complicated. Just like in your description.  ;D
The Force shall free me.

mipen

Quote from: ShaggyD00 on June 30, 2014, 11:30:46 AM
Why have colonist if you can just build an army of droids for everything? Seems like a game breaker.
The droids don't have much health and will usually explode when killed. They are also restricted to certain tasks each. I am going to implement a power need for them soon, and make them move slower than colonists.
Quote from: Exampl3 on June 30, 2014, 12:49:36 PM
Nice to see this new droids. But i've got a suggestion: because of the droids now.. maybe you should find a more fitting name for the mod. :) and good work. Played a while with this awesome mod now. The crafting system is complicated. Just like in your description.  ;D
Thanks for the feedback! :D

mipen

Quote from: Jessi on June 30, 2014, 08:47:04 AM
I found the issue with the artillery cannon. Apparently if you set the size above three, the outermost section counts as a wall and so the turret can't shoot past it. I've adjusted the size and all is fine now. Thanks for the heads up :D

V3cta

Nice to see that you take advice. :) Got a little problem: first the household droids hauled and cleaned but later they did nothing.
The Force shall free me.

PsychoForge

Lol i had a gattling turret set out at the corner of my base at the entrance and a raider came in to attack my turret fired about 20 bolts at him and he legged it, was too damn funny i was almost in tears the speed he left the map lol