Making/building things based on skill?

Started by Algon, July 08, 2014, 12:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Algon

Does anyone know if it's possible to restrict actions based on skill? E.g. anyone can cook a simple meal, but it requires someone with a cooking skill of (say) 8 to cook a fine meal. It would be nice to be able to set up some requirements for various tasks like this.

Telkir

Yes, this is possible, and the game already does this for cooking (though it isn't always immediately obvious).

If you open the file "<Your Rimworld folder>\Mods\Core\Defs\RecipeDefs\Recipes_Meals.xml", you can see that under the CookMealFine and CookMealLavish recipes, there is a set of tags that look something like this:

<skillRequirements>
<li>
<skill>Cooking</skill>
<minLevel>7</minLevel>
</li>
</skillRequirements>

You can add a similar set of tags into any recipe definition and edit them to a suitable skill name and level.

Algon

Thanks for that, I was looking in the wrong place! :P

JKTD1919

I'm wondering if this could be done with Construction, i.e. people with skills at or below 3 in construction shouldn't be able to build solar panels.

Ty needs to make more realistic options for early game, like campfires for cooking meals and lighting areas. Alpha 6 Back to Basics'd be great.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.