ICONS für bottom main menu

Started by runsnbunsn, October 08, 2018, 04:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runsnbunsn

Hi!

Just saw a video of the 1.0 release.
The whole time I was hoping some icons would be added to the menu on the bottom to make the menu buttons easier to find for the eye. I always thought this would be added last because it's not gameplay specific and more of a cosmetic thing.

I Love this game but dont understand why this wasnt added, maybe for technical reasons?

I mean if the menu text supports two different fonts it would be possible to add "Font Awesome" to get the icons and even let mods reference to the thousands of icons from there...

Sorry if this was discussed already, I didnt find it with the search..

runsnbunsn

nobody?

to give you more info, I got about 200 hours in Rimworld, with pauses of a few months between the play sessions, and anytime I restart a session I'm slow at finding the right menu button, because I need to read what it says. With Icons you even find the right menu button if it's in your peripheral vision. I'm pretty sure a lot of the less-regular players and newbies have the same troubles...

vzoxz0

I don't understand the problem here. Take a screenshot of whatever you're talking about?

runsnbunsn

ok, quick and dirty, something like this...

[attachment deleted due to age]

5thHorseman

I'd find more utility in their keyboard shortcuts being listed as well as the text.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AileTheAlien

I think icons would be useful for all the menus, especially the things which are massive lists. For example, if all of the plants in the plant menu just showed the plant sprite for a 100% grown plant, that would help a lot. They're not in alphabetical order or in order of skill requirements, and scanning through the list every time I make a new growing zone or change an existing one, is annoying. :)

runsnbunsn

yes...

the eye is just faster at scanning icons/images than reading text, and it puts less stress on the eyes too.
There is a mod that adds icons to the build submenu, so at least the submenus should be tweakable, not sure about the main menu.