[1.0] Rainbeau's Mods (Backstories, Fishing, Romance, Terraforming, and More!)

Started by dburgdorf, October 13, 2018, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Rational Romance has been updated:

- Pawns now check to see if their intended targets are actually available before walking across the map to ask for a date or to propose a hookup. So you should no longer have to deal, for example, with pacifist Joel walking into the middle of a firefight because he wants to know if his girlfriend Sally is interested in leaving the combat to go on a romantic walk.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Tenshi~Akari on November 07, 2018, 01:57:53 PMBless you for this!  ;D

The way things were originally coded, the pawn wanting to initiate a date or a hookup would pick a target, walk to that target... and only *then* would the code check to see if the target was busy with a job, surrounded by enemies, about to have to deal with a base need, or whatever.

Now, the code checks to see if the target's actually available *before* the initiating pawn takes that walk, and if the target's busy, the whole attempt just gets aborted before it begins.

Obviously, it's still theoretically possible that if the two pawns are on opposite sides of the map, the initiating pawn will find that the target is free, and start walking, but by the time he or she arrives, find that the target isn't free any more.  But that shouldn't be too much of an issue, as generally speaking, if pawns are far from home base, it's because they're doing something that would make them unavailable for dates or hookups, anyway.

(The alternative would have been to actually put a distance limit on how far a pawn would walk to ask for a date or hookup, but I really didn't like that idea.)

A side benefit of the change is that there should be fewer instances of pawns being sad because their overtures were rejected, when the only real problem was that they asked at an inconvenient time.  ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 11/08/2018

"Rim Disorders," a mod originally created for RimWorld a17 by SeveralPuffins, introduces more misery, trauma, and poor mental health to your vibrant, lively colony! Pawns will develop, either randomly or due to trauma, new mental health disorders, which can only be cured slowly, through counseling.

Note that this mod will make your pawns' lives more difficult! Your best researcher, locked in a dark room, may become depressed and unable to think through problems any more. Your best soldier may find herself unable to return to the front line without having panic attacks. But don't worry; if you feel the balance isn't quite what you want, the rates at which the diseases manifest, and the strength of counseling, can all be changed in the mod's "options" menu.

-- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

What the Mod Does:

(1) Adds Illnesses.

- Depression: Triggered by random chance, extreme low mood, downer addiction or witnessing death. Depressed colonists are slower, unhappier, and have impaired cognitive function. Moderately depressed colonists are more likely to go on food binges. Extremely depressed colonists are a suicide risk if they pass the mental break threshold. (This risk vanishes if they're arrested and confined for the duration of the episode.) Suicidal mental breaks happen quickly, so it's best to stop them before it gets that far.

- Generalized Anxiety: Triggered by extreme low mood, any single large stressor, stimulant addiction or random chance. Anxious colonists will be worse at talking, more unhappy, and will have a higher mental break threshold and moderately impaired global work speed. Extremely anxious colonists may have panic attacks as mental breaks.

- Cleanliness-OCD: Triggered by random chance, extreme sickness and exposure to rotting corpses. Affected colonists will have a lowered global work speed through worries and rituals and will be unhappy in rooms that are not perfectly clean. Extreme cases may result in mental breaks to obsessively (but not efficiently) clean the home area.

- PTSD: Triggered occasionally when downed. Affected colonists have a higher mental break threshold and are somewhat more likely to get into social fights. Moderate and extreme cases will suffer from panic attacks when an enemy is near, and extreme cases will suffer from panic attacks even outside of this situation.

(2) Adds Disorders.

- Autism Spectrum Disorder: Colonists on this spectrum take a hit on social interactions. They also react negatively to prioritized work, preferring an order they settle on themselves. For those with minor autism, this is a minor irritation, for those with moderate autism, it's a major irritation, and those with extreme autism will often ignore prioritized work completely. This includes being drafted!

- ADHD: Colonists with ADHD will drop jobs entirely and wander off to do something else. The regularity with which they do this depends on the severity of the ADHD.

Both of these health effects are developed in early life, rather than in response to circumstances. They are not mental illnesses, and so cannot be "cured."

(3) Adds Counseling.

Counseling appears as a bill on the individual with the illness, like surgery. A counselor must be trained to a certain degree in Medicine in order to perform the bill, but the magnitude of their success will be based on their Social skill. Counseling reduces both the present and the maximum severity of an illness. It can only occur once per day. If a patient is counseled to the point where the illness is permanently controlled, it will be removed, though it may recur if triggered anew.   

(An additional note from SeveralPuffins, the mod's original creator, on how counseling currently works: "Counseled patients currently go to sleep whilst someone makes metalwork noises at them. My headcanon: 3X1st century counseling is mostly about hypnosis, strobe lights and chimes. I'm pretty sure I'm getting that image from 'Hannibal.'")

Compatibility:

"Rim Disorders" can safely be added to a game in progress. Removing it from a game in progress, however, could create problems.

I am as yet unaware of any conflicts with other mods.

Credits:

Obviously, my version of "Rim Disorders" owes a great deal to SeveralPuffins, who originally created it. I have, myself, done little with it so far beyond simply ensuring that it functions in RimWorld 1.0.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: NoCanDo on November 09, 2018, 03:33:10 AMHm...works with psychology??

"Rim Disorders" just adds new things without altering anything in the vanilla game, so yes, it should be compatible with "Psychology," though as with "Rumor Has It," you may encounter some conceptual overlap.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Madman666

For some reason, i am getting really harsh fps drops whenever i try to do terraforming options added by Fertile Fields. Dunno what causes it and if its a compatibility problem, since logs don't show any errors. But the lags are real.

One more moment - now that you moved placing fertilizer to Growing, it just never gets done, cause its placed after actual growing work. Please consider moving it back to construction work. Or make it first job in the Growing subtasks, dunno. Seems that fertilizers are both construction and also plants work types, so no one doing it is probably me screwing up work priorities. Apologies.

Canute

Quote from: Madman666 on November 10, 2018, 01:22:02 PM
For some reason, i am getting really harsh fps drops whenever i try to do terraforming options added by Fertile Fields. Dunno what causes it and if its a compatibility problem, since logs don't show any errors. But the lags are real.
When a lag appear, can you check your pawn if they stay before something to haul.
Then it is maybe Pickup&Haul's fault and you maybe need to update the mod.

Madman666

All my mods are Steam workshop based, so they should be up to date, unless steam is borked once again. And I guess i ll take a closer look, but i don't think they tried to haul anything. They were just turning soil into stony soil for me and resulting dirt were transported by dogs, so it shouldn't really have anything to do with Pick up and haul.

Jiro

Quote from: dburgdorf on October 19, 2018, 11:41:29 PM
If you're radically heterosexist and don't want any gays in your colony, go right ahead and set the mod to make pawns 100% straight. On the other hand, if you want *all* your colonists to be queer, more power to you!
Are you sponsored by Kotaku or something?

dburgdorf

Quote from: 中村ジロ on November 11, 2018, 11:25:29 AMAre you sponsored by Kotaku or something?

I'm afraid I haven't the slightest idea who or what "Kotaku" is, or what relevance it has to the line you quoted.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

wreckcelsior

I love the idea of "Packed Lunches" and have a small suggestion.

I use the 'Vegetable Garden Project' mod and it adds a few meals that have bonuses to Consciousness, Metabolism etc.  (Stew, Smoothies, Yogurt, and more)
These bonuses, unfortunately, don't get included in the lunch bag meal. 
Is there any way to have these bonuses included into the lunch bag without you having to add them each individually? It would compliment your mod nicely.

An "add bonuses from meal "x" to target lunch "y" (layman speak) or something? I guess technically it would end up being a visual wrapper with the 'boo-hoo-I-ate-standing-up' debuff removed...??
I'm not a programmer so forgive my stumbling about with language code suggestions. 

Thanks for you time.
cheers

dburgdorf

Quote from: wreckcelsior on November 11, 2018, 01:38:50 PMIs there any way to have these bonuses included into the lunch bag without you having to add them each individually?

Unfortunately, no, there isn't. In order to have packed lunches with differing buffs, each would have to be its own distinct item, with its own distinct creation recipe. (The closest the game comes to having multiple possible outcomes from a single recipe is the use of "stuff" as an ingredient.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Here's some more updates! :)

Permafrost:

- It should now be possible to build bridges over frozen water tiles just as over regular water tiles.

- Eliminated the possibility of marshes on new permafrost biome maps. (This change does not, of course, affect maps already generated.)

- Marsh, like river and lake water, can now freeze in cold weather.

- Shallow water adjacent to marsh will no longer treat the marsh as a shore when freezing.

- Fixed a minor issue in the ice thaw code, so thawing should now be a bit less piecemeal.

Advanced Bridges:

- Made a few adjustments to allow bridges to be properly constructed over frozen water tiles from my "Permafrost" mod.

- A watergazing spot will now be destroyed if the tile on which it's placed dries up.

Fishing:

- Added "ice fishing spots" which can be constructed on frozen river or lake water tiles generated by my own "Permafrost" mod or Fumblesneeze's "Ice" mod. Note that ice fishing spots cannot be placed on vanilla ice tiles, and will appear on the "Production" tab of the Architect menu only if one or both of the "freezing" mods are actually in your mod list.

- Shellfish traps will no longer be destroyed if the tile beneath them dries up, but will instead simply stop working. If the tile freezes, they'll still operate, but more slowly than otherwise.

Rational Romance:

- Added options sliders to adjust the rate at which pawns propose dates and hookups.

- Made a few very minor tweaks which might (or might not) resolve lingering problems (if any) with date functionality.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

JT

Loving the updates so far!

Is there any way forcibly to eliminate all of the original backstories in Editable Backstories + EdB Prepare Carefully without having to enable the "tagging" option?  I seem to recall this was the case in A16 or so, but not so much anymore.  The tagging option was clearly added as a compromise, but is it possible to eliminate it entirely?  (i.e., was the compromise technical in nature, or just to mollify the backers?)  The one factor of RimWorld that makes me froth at the mouth is the literal and figurative special snowflakes from the Kickstarter nonsense, and it's a pain to have to remember to enable the Mod Options in the main menu prior to starting a new colony and then switch them back off after the colony starts. =)

I never did say it in the past, so I do have to mention how utterly pleased I am that Editable Backstories exists in the first place, and have to heap all the praise that was lost from RimWorld proper onto you instead. ;-)

---

I have a couple feature requests for Permafrost that are far less contentious than my dislike of Kickstarter ;-):

1) A (configurable?) 50% reduction in the freezing rate of moving water in Permafrost.  Standing water should freeze at the normal rate, but there should be at least a 50% reduction in the chance for a river/creek to freeze, since running water always freezes more slowly.

2) I've also been pondering and re-pondering the possibility of falling through thin ice -- breaking the tile back into water (and random adjacent thin ice tiles, too) and suffering damage directly to the lungs.  If incapacitated in water, a pawn might suffer continuous lung degradation, too...

3) Entering water in freezing temperatures will set a colony pawn to a minimum hypothermia level proportional to the map's current temperature below a threshold of 5 degrees Celsius (at, say, a 2:1 factor -- each degree below the hypothermia point sets the hypothermia hediff to a minimum of +2% severity).  For instance, if you enter water at -10 degrees, you reach {(threshold - current_temp) * 2} = {(5 - (-10)) * 2} = 30% hypothermia severity immediately if not already there.  At -40 degrees, falling into water is instantly incapacitating (90% severity of hypothermia).  Visitor and enemy pawns would either need pathfinding updates or would need to be omitted from this feature for balance (it shouldn't be possible to rely on the enemy's own stupidity to win every battle).