Mechanoid Rant

Started by Greenbear, April 27, 2018, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Quote from: zizard on October 26, 2018, 02:58:39 AM
Past a certain point, doubling your base size makes raids four times larger. There isn't a strategy that can scale to keep up with that. The raid point formula is simply broken past about 200k wealth. The only solution is to burn down half your base and kill half your pawns. Story told.

That depends on what kind of story you're trying to tell.  We're used to thinking that the story should be, "let's build the biggest base we can and keep growing, despite all the disasters we overcome."  But like you say, when threats multiply parabolically, that's going to end badly.

But what if you try a different story?  How about, "how do I keep this colony full of half-blind pyromaniac drug addicts alive?  Oh crap, one of them's burning down the armory again... noooo!!!"

In other words, try a different challenge that keeps you from getting to 200k wealth in the first place.

----------------------- Edit:

I think what I'm trying to say is, it's unfortunate that Rimworld doesn't automatically handicap you to make it difficult to get into ugly situations, but on the plus side, it provides you with endless ways to handicap yourself.

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.