YASD (Yet Another Stupid Death)

Started by ToXeye, October 27, 2018, 02:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToXeye

INFO: If you want to post YASD's for other games than rimworld, that's great! This is the off-topic forum after all.

There's something in online gaming, where if you fail a game in a very miserable way, you call it YASD - Yet Another Stupid Death. It's derived from roguelike culture, because in roguelikes you will eventually die in stupid ways.

I will start the thread with my latest YASD.

QuoteIt started with a well rounded but talentless rich explorer. He managed to build a little bit and even got visitors via dropship. Two visitors, that is. He took care of both but the beds were outdoors. Then a cougar attacked and killed all of us. I'd call that "YASD by cougar"
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

ToXeye

So I managed to attract the attention of the local boomalopes. They ate all my grown crops, and since it was in a desert the boomalopes had no other choice. Killing them would mean losing crops to fire, not killing them would lead to defeat by starvation. Guess what happened? hint: the colonists died
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Kirby23590

I think i remembered, something back in A14 or in A15.

So i played as a Rich Explorer, well it's pure luck & RNG, let's just say i'm not good at the start of playing those back in those days, until i remember to prioritize things like building rooms for new colonists & prisoners, and stuff like that.

Died from a bunch of weak raiders using a autopistol and one using a machine pistol and the other with molotovs, i had only two guys but my other one was sick from an disease and was the original founder but Randy said that he got an infection from a encounter from two raiders with knives and pistols.

Didn't have a good doctor before self-tending and self-docorting was thing in newer alphas, my only wanderer who was naked died from an headshot and was actually using a charge rifle but is bad at shooting.

So yeah, brought my sick explorer out to get his charge rifle back, got shot a few times and fell downed and got kidnapped but infection killed him.

It was a YASD, since my newbie days when your colony gets ran over-ed by an muffalo herd that got shot by your Hunters and all of them became Manhunters, before i didn't know how to properly run n shoot or cheese them because of their slow speed of muffalos.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Planetfall

Hmm... I don't have any stupid deaths because I'm a save skumming coward, so if i see any thing like a doctor not tending to her sick husband because she's hungry... and he dies because of it, I save skum because it's not a believable story. It doesn't fit the character I imagine the doctor to be. If she was gourmand maybe.

So I've had a few close calls with illnesses that I just devmode off. Like when my founding colonist saved his buddies mother and in the fight gets downed, wounded, and infected. His friend is incapable of caring (i always play with pawns are capable but it hadn't been updated) and the mother goes catatonic because the makeshift camp I set up in the destroyed raider base isn't to her liking. So the founder would have died. Nope, devmode. Or How pawns can somehow treat illnesses and gunshots with their bare hands yet my doctor holding a short sword cant amputate an arm? Devmode click 'cutting damage' 6 or so times until the damn limb falls off. It's not like lack Anastasia or antibiotics is going to make the patent more dead.

Oh, I have had quite a few animals die for stupid reasons. I was playing Call of Cthulhu and kept having all my animals go berserk due to sanity loss. The smaller the animal the worse it was so i had two litters of puppies kill themselves on my swords before i realised the dire warnings on strange meat wasn't just flavor text.
On another playthrough, I had my entire barn full of 20 chickens, some muffalo and... well... boomalopes get wiped out by a resource pod crash. It was some cloth... It burned up along with livestock... only a single chicken out of all my animals survived.
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

ToXeye

I made another stupid colony death.

I got the question to protect one fleeing person from a band of 5 who all had grenades. I accidentally pressed "offer safety". They made short work of my colonists.

I call that "death by menu choice error"

Oh, and I played on commitment mode, randy random medium.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

ManHuntingSquirrel

Tribal game,i start with a centaur because mods.
Later on in the game,i get a lost caravan notification,the animals were centaurs too.
My best hunter goed with his centaur pet to get silver and plasteel,instead of hitting the Centaur he hits a bear and it goes manhunting,the centaur dies and the dog almost dies too.

Sorry for bad english
- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO

ManHuntingSquirrel

All my YASD are from my tribal game because i learnt how to survive a little more and not being a save load retard,kinda.

I get attacked,they are coming from the south because some sappers mined there and now i have a raider entry. I shoot them trough embrasures because mods and kill all of them except two,i kill one because one colonist loves killing and capture the other.
A few days pass,the prisoner doesn't wake up,i notice he haves a permanent gunshot wound in the brain,i think i should be able to wake him up if i reduce his pain,doesn't work. i see the another survivor's corpse,he has 9 shooting,8 melee and no brain damage.
the prisoner dies later on.
- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO