Multiplayer 4 Rimworld

Started by JUERG660, November 07, 2018, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUERG660

Hi,

is there planned a Multiplayer Modus for Rimworld ? This would be very Nice.
I think that are wished by many people or ? So anybody reply at this Post.... so perhaps........ look what happens.

Greetings  Jürgen

Maverik

Right now we know its not planned (And personally I'm glad, Ludeon is small and MP features would absorb all its resources for a looong time), but the modding community is advancing on that matter, although at the moment they only have rudimentary solutions

krampe

Well not really rudimentary

My best bets are on this guy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/9fbema/rimalong_another_approach_on_multiplayer_for/

Creating the RimAlong Mod, about 65% done, refering to his roadmap.

Crow_T

I think having a world with different player colonies scattered throughout would be neat, and coop in the sense of forming alliances. Having coop in the same colony seems pointless IMO. Playing against human bases/raiders would be pretty bad ass. Resolving the time sync issue is the biggest hurdle I imagine (I've read the KSP threads already on the subject BTW).
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

entelin

Any game not originally created with multiplayer with either: Never have multiplayer, or have broken multiplayer. Multiplayer is a fundamental structural design choice, to do it right you would literally have to rewrite the game.

vzoxz0

@entelin: Incorrect, Stardew Valley did it just fine.

Ludeon is not Chucklefish, however, and they don't really have the resources Stardew does to spend on netcode and such a major change.

Kirby23590

Well Tynan and his Studio doesn't have access to getting tons of servers for multiplayer, i don't know if it's expensive to get tons of servers or good multiplayer without lag or stuttering. Since Multiplayer is the lowest-priority in his check-list to the game...

But the Modding Community in the Rimworld Community is cooking and making one! So don't worry, even though it's in WIP.
Quote from: krampe on November 22, 2018, 11:09:27 AM
My best bets are on this guy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/9fbema/rimalong_another_approach_on_multiplayer_for/

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Kirby23590

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

entelin

Quote from: vzoxz0 on November 23, 2018, 01:32:50 PM
@entelin: Incorrect, Stardew Valley did it just fine.

Ludeon is not Chucklefish, however, and they don't really have the resources Stardew does to spend on netcode and such a major change.
Actually Stardew Valley is an excellent example of my point. Notice how I said "to do it right you would have to literally rewrite the game".

QuoteAfter ironing out many of the major conflicts (a process which involved rewriting 15,000 lines of code, according to their blog) the team is now working on implementing their solution to a unique problem: the ability to add multiple people to what was primarily built as a solo experience.
As a gamer and programmer the developer of Concerned Ape is my personal hero. He accomplished something very few people have. The game was almost entirely developed by one guy over years, he taught himself to code, do pixel art, and compose music, not only did he successfully make a game but he then polished the hell out of it to the point that it was a complete experience on release. Without looking it up, I'm guessing all of Stardew probably comes in at around the 30-50k lines of code. So just to begin the process of adding multiplayer they rewrote a MASSIVE chuck of code, along with all the testing and other work that entails. Then they needed to adjust the gameplay to fit coop, and develop all the mutiplayer code, which he hired others at Chucklefish to help with. This was over a year long process, and he did this after his game was successful just to fulfill a promise. Even after all of that work, it's not perfect, it's plenty good enough, but it's not a "solid" multiplayer implementation in the truest sense, the single player legacy of the game still has some impact as seen through desyncs and other issues.

I don't want to understate how significant of an achievement and effort the multiplayer addition to Stardew was, and how grateful the fan base should be for this. For this and the rest he has my deep admiration.

However understand that while Stardew is no exception to the rule I pointed out above, it is an exception in the sense that is was a successful effort. Many developers don't understand network code and assume it's something they can add in later, and Steam is chock full of failed attempts at this. Implementing multiplayer in Rim World would in fact be technically harder than adding it to Stardew and absolutely foolish to attempt, he knows that, and it's not going to happen, there are plenty of better things he could be spending his time on inside or outside of Rim World development.