Am I the only one that makes pre built colonies?

Started by BRAOUG, May 30, 2019, 05:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRAOUG

Like I drop the pawns in and use god mode to build a base? Kind of fun as I despise starting out. I often do it when I have pretty game altering mods.

Canute

I only can speak for myself.
It is more entertaining/challenging for my to build up a new base from scratch, then just to populate an existing base.
But every player is different, some enjoy real big colonies with 50+ pawns, myself i never got more then 20.

Bozobub

While you are NOT "wrong" for playing the game exactly as you like, I'd find this to be incredibly boring.  The period in the beginning while a colony is trying to become fully established is, quite frankly, the most enjoyable part of the game for me ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

jamessimo

I am a Slave to "New".

I want to do anything new;

Make a new base (Rimworld)

Start a new project (Programming)

Make a new city (Cities Skylines)

Make a new prison (Prison architect)

Make a new galaxy (Stellaris)

Honestly most games I play I have the most fun at the beginning then get bored as the game matures.

Demoulius

The road to the perfect colony is all part of the fun to me!  ;D

Its so satisfying! Why would you want to skip that?  :(

StormingKiwi

I sympathize with the sentiment. The early game isn't interesting in my opinion because a lot of the initial build is repetitive and mandatory? You need to achieve specific tasks to make your colony self sufficient,  so much so that the game actually tells you to perform such tasks...

This is an issue that a lot of strategy games have however,  not just rimworld.

I think it would be nice to have a scenario option for a pre built colony.

At the beginning you give your initial orders, but they are basically the same for every play through that I can see. The true strategy and entertainment starts intermediate-midgame, when you've got a basic base up and running. But the tasks needed to achieve such a base are definitely boring and repetitive.

BRAOUG

It's mostly that I have done this so many times it has become a chore. Setting priorities stockpiles micromanaging everything the first days. So sometimes I relax and build a ridiculous OP base or try to recreate something from other games.

Rocket_Raccoon

Nah, I build every time my base(s) up from scratch, counting at over 3,3k hours real playtime.
It never gets boring for me and parts that annoyed me(manually setting stockpiles etc) I either removed with the help of qol-mods or, well, suffer the short time through it(like in assigning outfits, drugs and food since the mod for export  that does not work for me)
I also put in this game a bit of money for mods(apparell that is) for me.
It just does not get boring for me and this since Alpha 14 I think.
The only thing I spawn via def console are items that I canĀ“t build atm since I am currently playing at a laptop and some items simply do not fit in anymore on the production items list, ie unbuildable.

camerhil

I put 250 hours into my first colony, building it from the ground up, and then had to quit because this game is so addictive that I found myself not thinking about much else. If I were to come back to it, I would definitely go the "pre-built colony" route. Rimworld's resource and building grind is so pernicious because it doesn't feel grindy at all: it's cerebral, exciting and satisfying, which is an AWFUL combination when you're trying to limit your game time to an hour per night. If I'm building my colony in god mode without pawns constantly threatening to shag, befriend and / or kill each other, that makes it a lot easier for me to tinker for a while and then put the game away. Once the base is built, I can drop my dudes in for some fun apocalyptic playtime, and then move to the endgame scenario whenever I'm ready.

If I had more free time then I would definitely start again at the beginning, but one of the best things about this game is that I don't have to do that. God it's so good. I hate it.