Small freezes / fps drops with increased frequency when speeding up game

Started by RayZoar-Z, July 10, 2019, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atewithouttabIe

As it happens i just did that...

The craftily worded save i made w the game running at a glacial pace (27-30FPS etcetcetc) BEFORE i summoned the raid via DEV is still running like...excrement

The save i made just AFTER the raid, w everything suddenly running peachy (55-60FPS/TPS etcetc) is still running spiffy...

So i can load 2 saves of the same colony now, same in-game day, same modlist / mod order, same all w the exeption that the first save runs "constricted" before Raid and the 2nd save, after raid, runs nominal...srysly what changed w the raid that makes the game run fine suddenly?

Explain...

Tynan

We have collected a few mature colonies (1,000,000+ wealth) and we're going to do some profiling and look at them. If there is an issue it'll be fixed.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

thejazzmann

Spawning the raid made no difference for me, sadly. Still hanging on GC processing.

atewithouttabIe

At this point i wouldnt rule out Win10 being an asshat w regards to resource management either, either allocating or releasing to be re-allocated for the game - sure enough theres enough threads on various mature forums w titles such as "Win10 stutter / Laggy / Unpossible to play xyz on Win10" etc esp with regard to the standby / file caching mechanisms in particular and such...

thejazzmann

Fresh, up-to-date install of Win 10 complete but the same problem persists. I'll be testing on a windows 8 install later to see if it exists there too.

Tynan

There will be small GC spikes in every version of the game, because they're inherent to C# and Unity. They should be small enough not to be perceptible without tools, but if you're using tools you'll always see them.

thejazzmann

Quote from: Tynan on November 19, 2019, 04:25:26 AM
There will be small GC spikes in every version of the game, because they're inherent to C# and Unity. They should be small enough not to be perceptible without tools, but if you're using tools you'll always see them.

This simply isn't the case, though. At least for me, they're consistent and extremely noticeable. I can't pan the camera without a spike causing it to fly off in a random direction as the game is still taking the camera movement input during the spike. This happens at least once a minute on a purely vanilla save.

Edit: This can also be seen in recent, albeit modded, youtube let's plays as well as the videos linked earlier in this thread.

Pangaea

Maybe a non-issue, but a thought that came to me while trying to set up a new game: what sized maps do people use?

Personally I use 275x275, and I would imagine that bigger than that has a greater chance of causing lags, especially in the late game.

Tynan

Quote from: thejazzmann on November 19, 2019, 04:41:07 AM
Quote from: Tynan on November 19, 2019, 04:25:26 AM

This simply isn't the case, though. At least for me, they're consistent and extremely noticeable. I can't pan the camera without a spike causing it to fly off in a random direction as the game is still taking the camera movement input during the spike. This happens at least once a minute on a purely vanilla save.

Oh, I was talking about a new game situation as in some videos that were posted earlier.

How old is your colony? How many colonists? How much wealth? Which mods are you using of any kind?

What you're describing doen't sound like GC spikes. If the system is under low memory pressure it'll create tiny GC spikes (not perceptible) every 20-30s. If it's under high pressure it'll make big spikes every 5-10s. It's hard to see  a case where it'll make big spikes every 60s.

thejazzmann

Quote from: Tynan on November 19, 2019, 06:35:33 AM

Oh, I was talking about a new game situation as in some videos that were posted earlier.

How old is your colony? How many colonists? How much wealth? Which mods are you using of any kind?

What you're describing doen't sound like GC spikes. If the system is under low memory pressure it'll create tiny GC spikes (not perceptible) every 20-30s. If it's under high pressure it'll make big spikes every 5-10s. It's hard to see  a case where it'll make big spikes every 60s.

Ah, my apologies in that case. I'm also talking about a new game situation. As far as a vanilla/no mods run is concerned, this is from the very beginning. Immediate lag spikes beginning within the first minute of the colonists (3) landing and happening every 30-45 seconds forever. Minimum wealth, whatever the original three colonist scenario starts you with. It's exacerbated by time acceleration, exponentially.

On a modded run of 3-5 colonists it begins immediately and happens every 5-10 seconds, perhaps more frequently.

In both scenarios, even when no orders have been given and the game is left to sit, it still occurs.

Edit: I've also now run this on a 2017 Macbook pro running 10.14.6 Mojave (arguably not the best hardware to run anything on) completely vanilla and the same issues occur. I don't believe it to be an OS or purely windows based problem.

Edit #2: I reverted to B19 just out of curiosity and it runs flawlessly. So it would seem like something between B19 and 1.0 release, although you likely already know that.

atewithouttabIe

So...OS's out of the loop, happening across multiple platforms - back to focusing all pummeling attention on game proper, exclusively? Fair enough... =)

ForeverZer0

Quote from: atewithouttabIe on November 19, 2019, 12:01:29 PM
So...OS's out of the loop, happening across multiple platforms - back to focusing all pummeling attention on game proper, exclusively? Fair enough... =)

The only problem with this theory is that if was a core problem with the game, it would typically be a more widespread problem that everyone experienced, not a just a handful. When there are only a few people experiencing the same problem, and not the overwhelming majority, it often does indicate OS, hardware, or driver issues.

Either way, hopefully it is able to be resolved, it would indeed be irritating to play with it studdering in such a way.

thejazzmann

A small amount of further testing: The 32-bit (x86) version of the game also runs without issue, zero spikes.

Tynan

Quote from: thejazzmann on November 19, 2019, 10:07:04 PM
A small amount of further testing: The 32-bit (x86) version of the game also runs without issue, zero spikes.

Now that's really interesting. It would be amazing if you could actually tell me how many milliseconds the spikes are on each version.

We're looking at possibly doing an update that comes with a new Unity version update, and Unity updated their Mono runtime which includes an improved garbage collector, so it may solve these issues. But, don't hold your breath - it isn't planned for the immediate future.

mjcox02

I just reinstalled the game recently, after a hiatus for a month or two. I ran into the same problem others are having in this thread.

I stumbled upon this post, and thank you for looking at the issue! Really, Thank you!

I've been playing a lot of paradox games recently.. And, well one of those games, is a performance hellhole. I love the game, but it runs terribly. And the community is up in arms about it, but the developers are simply ignoring the issue at hand. The game is unplayable because of it.

So I was surprised to see someone caring about performance! Thank you, this game is a masterpiece, and so is the community. Let's hope there's a fix to this stuttering problem!