[1.0] (WIP) RimWHO 0.1 - Diseases, Vaccines & Cancer

Started by takoyaro, September 03, 2019, 10:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

takoyaro

RimWHO stands for RimWorld Health Organization.

Because of the complexity of this mod, not on the programming level but rather on the balance side of things, I'm posting it here now in the Unfinished section to get the community's help to balance things out before releasing it officially.

At its current stage the mod includes new diseases (infections), vaccines, a new Cancer system and Chemotherapy.

Infections

Diseases

• Cholera
  • Dengue
  • Diphtheria
  • Polio
  • Smallpox

Vaccines

All those new diseases have their own vaccines that can be crafted using various ingredients (Penoxycyline, Neutroamine, etc.)and  Virus Samples

Those Virus Samples are extracted from patients who have contracted the virus and they must be refrigerated.
The Virus sample extraction can be made from a colonist operation tab (colonist must be infected with the said virus)

Cancer

Mechanics

I never liked the way Cancer (Carcinoma) was made in the game so I tried to come up with something more challenging.

First, Cancer will appear on your colonists as they get older. It is possible for a young colonist to develop a cancer but the chances are much smaller at, let's say, 17 years old than 68 years old.

Once a colonist develops a cancer it is not tendable and there's not much you can do other than administering Chemotherapy medicine (which I will describe after this section.

Once the Chemotherapy worked, the cancer will enter the Remission mode where it will now be tendable using traditional medicine.
You have to be careful regarding the severity of the cancer because it is still lethal while in Remission mode if the severity hits 100%.

Chemotherapy
With the whole Cancer overhaul, I came up with the Chemotherapy medicine.
That medicine is available in 3 qualities.
Each quality have a different chance of curing cancer but they also give different side effects level on the opposite side of the spectrum.

• Artisanal

• Low chance of curing cancer
    • High side effects
  • Industrial

• Medium chance of curing cancer
    • Medium side effects
  • Glitter

• High chance of curing cancer
    • Low side effects

Chemotherapy medicine must also be refrigerated

Github
Latest version: 0.1.1

NOTES
As I said, this mod is a work in progress and I'm putting it here to get some feedback so I can balance things better so please keep your feedback constructive  ;D

Thanks!

Pelador

Hiya takoyaro,

Looks interesting in terms of introducing viral diseases and changing cancer.

One initial concern I have however is that you redefine the vanilla Organic Standard hediffGiverSet to "only" include your cancer illness and thus omit or eliminate all the other afflictions defined in the vanilla definition from the base game as a result. I don't think this is what you intended?

Ideally, the best way to include your details would be to xpath patch replace "only" the cancer element/part in the vanilla definition.

takoyaro

Good morning Pelador!

I really appreciate this message first thing in the morning, that problem would have gone unnoticed for a few more hours otherwise!

Issue fixed and version 0.1.1 released

PhantomFav

Great mod! How much does a vaccine last?

takoyaro

Quote from: PhantomFav on September 04, 2019, 04:08:18 AM
Great mod! How much does a vaccine last?
Thank you!
Vaccines lasts about +/- 100 days at the moment!

Also, one can produce 4 vaccines from 1 vaccine sample (and other ingredients).

Sonsalt

Are you planing to include infection methods and maybe quarantine ?

takoyaro

Quote from: Sonsalt on September 04, 2019, 04:31:51 PM
Are you planing to include infection methods and maybe quarantine ?

Infection methods is something I've been requested a lot, I'm working on it. ;D
As for quarantine, I'm not sure how to tackle this one. Any ideas on how you see that feature?

sidfu

100 days is to long. since  time is differnt probaly 1 dose a year is good.

takoyaro

Quote from: sidfu on September 06, 2019, 08:50:08 PM
100 days is to long. since  time is differnt probaly 1 dose a year is good.
I'll keep this in mind thanks!