Books

Started by ParagonTerminus, July 28, 2014, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParagonTerminus

Everyone here has had that one arsehole who goes insane just because he had a 3x5 (aka f*ing massive) room and metal floors. How do we cure this "arsehole disease" (insanity) without wasting space/resources on large rooms or ruining that "spaceship look" you're going for by adding carpets?

Simple. Entertainment. More simply, books.

I propose two different types of books however: entertainment and factual.

Before we talk about the individual types, let's set the basis for both of them:

-They'll be stored on bookshelves
-Can be read in beds or on tables
-Will provide bonuses
-Bonuses will be decreased/will take longer to come to effect if the area where reading is taking place is badly lit

So, let's go to the individuals:

First, entertainment books. Entertainment books provide a significant morale boost to your colonists. As with real life, different books should provide different morale boosts and reading the same book too often in a row will start boring a colonist, soon abandoning reading that book entirely or even removing some small amount of morale. This will necessitate keeping a well-stocked library so your colonists will stay happy. There should also be different genres, and different colonists will like different genres and cause those genres to generate different morale boosts.

Second, factual books. Factual books will provide a small morale boost (any book is usually a good book) but mainly assist a few things. Usually, they'll provide some small bonus to skills, for example, teaching a colonist to be more accurate, or how to cook food better. Rarely, they'll teach a new technology, either one currently available at the research bench or a different one that can only be found in a book.

Books should also be tradable with an Industrial Trader.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

Bog

That sounds great to me. It also would mean that you could put a bookshelf in everybody's massive 6x5 bedrooms so they don't look so empty.

And while we're at it, we should be able to make computers for people's rooms too. Then they can relax and play that awesome new game "Outerplanet" that just came out. ;)
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

ParagonTerminus

Quote from: Bog on July 28, 2014, 02:48:34 PM
That sounds great to me. It also would mean that you could put a bookshelf in everybody's massive 6x5 bedrooms so they don't look so empty.

And while we're at it, we should be able to make computers for people's rooms too. Then they can relax and play that awesome new game "Outerplanet" that just came out. ;)

Well, I was considering making a bulk post for Books, TV, and Computers, but then realized: TV and Computers require constant new things being broadcasted. The Rimworld doesn't have internet nor TV stations, so only books would work.
Hi there! I hail from the Sky9, FTL, and Katawa Shoujo forums, so if you're on any of those, I (might) know you.

Now carry along, I'm sure the guy below me has something interesting and contributive to say.

StorymasterQ

If we're adding bookshelves, should they be claimable? For example, bookshelves in a designated library or break room may be used by anyone, but ones in colonists rooms could have books on...gentleman's special interest literature.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Bog

Quote from: ParagonTerminus on July 28, 2014, 03:36:27 PM
TV and Computers require constant new things being broadcasted.
Note: This argument is mostly for fun:

Actually, imho, I disagree. If hard-drive technology continues to advance they would likely be measuring space in at least petabytes if not exabytes or even zettabytes, and since rimworld is taking place far in the future they'd also have hundreds if not thousands of years of TV shows, movies and games available in the public domain.

As is, in real life we're already in a place that it would be impossible for an individual to watch all the video footage (TV shows and movies) in existence. That's because we're now producing footage faster than an individual can watch it, if you include all the footage being made all over the world.  ::)

So just like the people last decade often had far more music then they could possibly listen to on their iPod, maybe in the future people will have far more video footage then they could possibly ever watch on their computers.  ;)

And that's not even getting into video games. If I can get 400 hours out of each of the Elder Scrolls Series, and they put out a game every 5 years or so then 1000 years from now we might be on "The Eldar Scrolls 2012: 186th return to Morrowind" and you could play for 400,000 hours (more then 45 years in-game :P) before you "finish" the series.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Mondkalb

Quote from: Bog on July 30, 2014, 01:21:40 AM

Actually, imho, I disagree. If hard-drive technology continues to advance they would likely be measuring space in at least petabytes if not exabytes or even zettabytes, and since rimworld is taking place far in the future they'd also have hundreds if not thousands of years of TV shows, movies and games available in the public domain.
Also not to be taken very seriously: And VHS for the tribal colonies... To much TV made them degenerate! ;)

Bog

Quote from: Mondkalb on July 30, 2014, 01:45:20 AM

Also not to be taken very seriously: And VHS for the tribal colonies... To much TV made them degenerate! ;)
Hehe, and only in black in white. ;D

You could also give colonists traits like "Soap Opera Addict" where they lose lots of morale if they go more than 20 hours without watching TV.

Mondkalb

And after watching to much talk shows colonists run amok! ;D

But on topic: I think books would be a nice idea! They could be a very precious goods, since it's a rim world!

Gabriel_Braun

I think it'd be much more likely that they would use e-readers or PCs to view literary and interactive media that they purchase from traders.  There could also be technical manuals and documentation that comes down in the crashed cargo pod events?

StorymasterQ

Things like technical manuals could be fun. There could be an event that a pod containing manuals that increases current research, for example.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Somz

As is, in real life we're already in a place that it would be impossible for an individual to watch all the video footage (TV shows and movies) in existence. That's because we're now producing footage faster than an individual can watch it, if you include all the footage being made all over the world.  ::)

So just like the people last decade often had far more music then they could possibly listen to on their iPod, maybe in the future people will have far more video footage then they could possibly ever watch on their computers.  ;)

And that's not even getting into video games. If I can get 400 hours out of each of the Elder Scrolls Series, and they put out a game every 5 years or so then 1000 years from now we might be on "The Eldar Scrolls 2012: 186th return to Morrowind" and you could play for 400,000 hours (more then 45 years in-game :P) before you "finish" the series.

Just for fun: I've heard something quite some time ago, didn't think about it much.
Broadcasting stuff isn't perfect, the signal partly escapes and sets a course into deep space, or something like that.
But it needs time to travel, and Rimworld is placed in a kinda futuristic...future...so I guess they could watch the new episodes of Game of Thrones for example right the hell now, for all we know. ˘\_(ツ)_/ˇ
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

bobucles

Quote. If hard-drive technology continues to advance they would likely be measuring space in at least petabytes if not exabytes or even zettabytes, and since rimworld is taking place far in the future they'd also have hundreds if not thousands of years of TV shows, movies and games available in the public domain.
But they're not on their space ship. They're crash landed in the middle of nowhere, perhaps somewhere related to the title of the game.

So far there seem to be two major types of books:
1) An entertainment that provides morale boost for some time. Like "+5: I relaxed and read a nice book."

2) Educational books which provide XP gain. This would be very useful as some skills are difficult to raise through experience, like melee or medicine. Perhaps merchants would have books, or experienced colonists could write their own?

When your base is shut down due to an eclipse or something similar, reading a book is an excellent way to waste away the idle time.