How am I supposed to get early Plasteel now??

Started by LWM, May 07, 2020, 04:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LWM

I have enjoyed playing scenarios of "crash landed on a planet really far from anywhere, and there are no trade ships, etc."  How am I supposed to get plasteel without mechanoids to disassemble?

:(   >:(

I can't dig for it with the new deep drills, because the scanner still requires advanced components - which, guess what, you also can't get without trade.  So I'm not impressed with them much.

I guess the only option is to go on long enough that I finally get some centipedes that can give plasteel?  I can still get Advanced Components form mech ships that fall, right?

I'm not liking the restricted options here; not fun.

Canute

If you are lucky you can find it at the outer border of some hills/mountain.

You still can strip mine the mountains/hills if you got the mining power (some mods offer animals with special abilities so they can clean,mine,plant cut too).

Sometimes bulk goods caravan from outlander faction can have steel/plasteel for sale, or their settlements.

Deep drilling, even without scanner you could drill for luck.

Mod's with extended mining feature like Quarry (but plasteel is just random), Deep core mining (then you can select what you want) or Mines (low tech version of Deep Core mining).
Or Vegetable garden resource plants.

LWM

I'm not exactly happy with a solution that is "mods" - is that the only way to have options in the game now?

I finally got a defoliator ship....which didn't have any salvageable metal??  :o

erdrik

Whether from stray drop pods or meteorites, Plasteel can fall from the sky like any other resource.
Relying on it is pretty RNG, but it is technically another source.

Canute

Without mods the fastest way is to buy it from outlander settlements or when call bulk goods trader from some allies.

Yeah, the devs removed plasteel from all ships, i just notice self too.
But even the smalles cluster structure drop plasteel, maybe we should mention that at the bugs.

Alenerel

I think you made this post at an inconvenient time cause this exactly was addressed in the last patch.

Centipedes now give plasteel again and ship part chunks give advanced components. In any case, you can always trade or wait for a trader to bring those, which is how I mostly played it.

LWM

No traders scenarios!   :-[  I really like the "just us on a tiny planet in the middle of nowhere" approach, but that doesn't work unless there are ways in the game to get around needing to trade.

I also play on lower difficulty settings (I like the base building, scrapping together a small settlement all alone), so centipedes are thankfully rare...so the loss of plasteel from other mechanoids is REALLY felt.  At least I can get advanced components, so I can eventually build up the tech tree, but I'm pretty unhappy with these updates.

Alenerel

I dont want to be rude, but the game is balanced, or at least tries to be balanced, with some settings, which you just turned off, so you complaining seems to be out of place...

Anyway, here are other options, which Im not sure that will help you much:
1. Caravan to another settlement to trade

2. Search for it in your own map via strip mining. If you are ok with cheating a bit, use the mod "designer shapes", and filling the rocks should show you all of the deposits inside
3. Open your ancient danger and hope for luck

4. Caravan to a tile next to yours, set a second base and search there for surface deposits

I think that the most quick, easy and effective is to go to another tile and check the surface deposits. If none is plasteel, then leave it and check another. I also recommend you the mod RimSearch, which you can use to search for visible deposits instead of having to scan the map visually.

LWM

I think my complaining is perfectly valid: the game explicitly allows the player to choose their own scenarios, but this change severely limits some of those scenarios in ways that I don't like.  Even in a typical "crashlanded" scenario, our options have become much more limited.

*grump grump grump*

I had not thought about setting up 2ndary mining colonies.  It's kind of a poor-man's hoping-for-luck alternative to the long range mineral scanner.  Sounds like an excellent way for me to forget half my colonists are starving  ;D ::)

LWM

It just crossed my mind that it might have worked better if the developers had adjusted gathered resources based on difficulty setting.

But I don't know what balance they're trying to do?  Make deep drill attractive, I guess?

Alenerel

No, its not a valid excuse. Making a scenario has a extremely large combinations that cannot be anticipated, or anticipate them cost a huge amount of resources... And after, all, its just common sense, its like having to put a warning in a knife about "dont cut your balls with this".

Your post is the equivalent of creating a scenario without raids, without anybody else in the planet, no ships, no wild man wander, etc and then complaining about "i cant get any new recruits, tynon pls fix ur game".

LWM

The difference being that a week ago, it was fine.  Now, it's not.  Look, if you don't have anything constructive to say, why not go read other posts?

Goldenpotatoes

The game uses trading and quests as soft requirement gates for initial materials like advanced components, so yeah you're gonna struggle finding those specific parts when you actively disable the main reliable methods of obtaining them.

Crashed ship parts now dropping advanced components along with the pretty hefty buff to both material cost and research time means you should be able to hit deep drilling a lot quicker.

Alenerel

Quote from: LWM on May 08, 2020, 06:33:12 PM
The difference being that a week ago, it was fine.  Now, it's not.  Look, if you don't have anything constructive to say, why not go read other posts?

Im literally the only one who helped you.

Smh some people... What could I expect from the tone of the post, anyway...

LWM

Quote from: Alenerel on May 09, 2020, 12:51:44 AM
Smh some people... What could I expect from the tone of the post, anyway...

Back when I was young, we had to fight off centipedes with sticks and we liked it.  Uphill, in the snow, both ways!