[1.1.2624] Friendlies won't leave, and end up killing and eating each other

Started by threephi, May 10, 2020, 07:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threephi

Late-game from a high-wealth colony.  A big group of tribal friendlies (probably around 140-150) came to help defeat a large mech cluster from a quest.  Which means yeah, they did all the actual fighting ;)

When combat was over, they went about the normal business of healing themselves, and then gathered up at the border to leave, still roughly 135 strong or thereabouts.  A few of their faction mates were in my infirmary getting healed up, and one was working his way through a case of the berserks.

Several days went by but they wouldn't depart.  Moods started plummeting from sleeping on the ground, sparking more berserkery and fights which generated ally deaths and corpses, sending moods lower.  Every now and then one would give up and head for the opposite side of the map.  Some of those would change their mind before reaching the other end and return.  The food they were carrying eventually ran out, but instead of hunting any of the plentiful game nearby, they started eating the corpses of their fallen (non cannibals, I checked), sending moods down even further.  A few started dying of poorly-treated infections too.  It's gotten rather pathetic watching them self-destruct, to be honest :P

Here are the issues involved:

1) Friendlies should leave the map as quickly as possible after a conflict is ended, rather than wait around for the entire group to reform.
2) Colonist caravans permit healing while in transit; perhaps friendlies should get off the map whenever physically possible and heal themselves in their own caravans rather than wait around for more bad things to happen.
3) Hungry friendlies who aren't restricted from the relevant jobs should be able to forage and hunt the local map when desperate for food rather than eat corpses.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the main issue here (friendlies who won't leave) reported a few times in the past, so I'm not sure if this is intended behavior.  There is some entertainment value in watching a large group of savages destroy themselves, but it still seems wrong.  A potential downside of this self-destruction is that the friendlies may include colonist family members, and naturally their deaths would have severe mood impacts on the colony. 

I'm linking two saves for this report, one from when it became clear the friendlies were staying too long, and one three game-days later with an act of cannibalism (non-cannibal) in progress from hunger, when wildlife and at least one ripe berry bush is available close by.  They finally departed shortly after this last save was recorded, having lost more than half their number just from waiting around.

Early game save: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgOqF8m7Weuyh6AEk8IvdhY8qDCk-g?e=rQiKJi
Later game save with cannibalism: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgOqF8m7Weuyh6AFigz1nZZ3RIScbA?e=NULaIX

Canute

Hi,
normaly friendlies leave after awhile, mosttimes before they run out of food.
Since you play with mods (even when it is just a very short list) there still could be a issue with some.
Load the 2. safegame and look at the logwindow (you need to enable developer mod at the option, then the top left icon) if there are any errors (red text).
When there are errors please provide the logfile.
You can either attach the original rimworld player.log (check the sticky for the location) or the hugslib feature (press CTRL-F12).

When there are no error's it is prolly a vanilla issue and the devs need to look into it.