Nerfed Turrets = No colonist variety

Started by mj_sylvain, May 29, 2020, 03:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj_sylvain

I've been enjoying the royalty DLC but I got to mid game a couple of times and got obliterated by mechanoids despite having invested in a solid layered turret defence using the expensive slug throwers and autocannons, carefully planned to avoid chain explosions, fire etc. This used to be sufficient to defend my "friendly" colony where 84 year old half blind "Wanderer joins" were welcomed in amd given a crafting bench to use up excess resources or whatever they were vaguely good at. Only pyromaniacs were ever insta-banished.

So i read around and it seems the game developers didn't like that turrets are effective (they were underwhelming anyway I thought, plus the idea of "balancing" a single player game is...odd, in my opinion) so they nerfed them to force you to bring more colonists to each fight. That's all well and good, but now if a wanderer/prisoner doesn't have 100% movement, sight, manipulation,  shooting passion and no mental break dangers (nervous, too smart etc) they're either being released missing some body parts or turned into armchairs.

The game difficulty is so dependent on your colony size, if turrets are no longer "approved" as a defence system, everyone is going to have to be a super soldier - that's going to get boring if I have to down 20 enemies without seriously injuring them to get one possible recruit.

Now I'm sure there's probably a mod which will give me my old turrets back, but with the update-a-minute going on at the moment I'm not super enthused about increasing my mod list.

I just want the game developers to know that they made a good game, could they please avoid destroying it in the name of "balance"

Canute

Hi,
since you are a "friendly" colony and you allready play with mods.
Why you don't exchange your turrets against active/powered trap systems ?
The Traps Plus mod offer these at example.
Personaly i found these a bit overpowered, but 6-8 powered saw's at a corridor will even kill most of the centiped's so a few soldier at the end can finish them pretty quick.
Heat trap's will set pawn's at fire.

Or when you wan't some super fighter, look at Rim of Magic.
Most trained fighter class skill can fighter against Centipede's once they trained abit. Or summoner/necro can throw in elementar/undead as decoy's to prevent injuries at your pawn's.

But since a long time i don't use turret's as primary defence anymore, special against mechanoids a hit&run tactic to kite centipeds around with long range weapons is much less dangerous then to let you roast with the inferno cannons, so your soldier move into the gun's of the other centipeds.

TrashMan

Mods are a band-aid, not a solution to a systemic issue.

zizard

Enlightens people to the optimal play of only accepting superb quality pawns and using interesting gameplay mechanic of speed 3 to accelerate finding recruits.