[A12d] EdB Interface Mods - DISCONTINUED (15 July 2016)

Started by EdB, August 09, 2014, 01:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: zenfur on September 02, 2015, 12:52:59 PM
I want to inform you that option to auto-pause on loading the game is already in vanilla and is redundant :) You can safely remove this one.

Actually, the preference in the mod works a little differently.  It also pauses the game when you start a new game--not just when you load a saved game.  The vanilla preference does not do this.  I considered splitting it out and renaming to "pause when starting a new game" to reduce confusion, but I felt like it was easier to just have both options in one place.  I might change my mind in the future, but for now i will leave it as is.

zenfur

Yeah, renaming it to reduce confusion would work for me.
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

MechanoidHater

Hello. How is updating this mod to alpha 12 coming along?

EdB

Quote from: MechanoidHater on September 06, 2015, 08:08:00 AM
Hello. How is updating this mod to alpha 12 coming along?

Making progress.  Lots of new stuff in there, so it's taking time.  I don't have an estimate right now for when I'll add a full release to the original post, but I will probably be posting another pre-release before too long (maybe tonight, more likely tomorrow).

For anyone who missed it, there is a pre-release available here.  It includes the colonist bar and some miscellaneous functionality.

Just a heads up that there is some functionality that you may have gotten used to that I am looking to remove from the mod for now.  This includes the more vertically-aligned alternate tabs.  I haven't made a final decision on this, but re-doing those tabs with every alpha release takes up more time than anything else (by far), so I'm tentatively removing them.

EdB

I'm basically done with the alpha 12 release, but I may make a few additions or changes.  If you'd like to see my progress so far, you can download the latest pre-release below.

What's new:

• First, I need to mention what's been removed.  The "colonist" main tab button that used to be in the lower-left corner of the screen is gone.  It didn't make sense with the new UI layout.  Also, I've decided to remove the alternate, vertically-aligned tabs and some of the spacing and layout tweaks throughout the mod.  It takes a lot of effort to keep those changes in sync with the game, so I've removed them.  This is not a final decision, so please give me some feedback on how important these were to you.
  • Squad management: you can organize your colonists into groups in the squad management window.  Click the "Squads" main tab button along the bottom of the screen to bring it up.  Squads are a good way to organize larger colonies.  You always have one automatic "All Colonists" squad that contains all of the (human) members of your colony.
  • The colonist bar only displays one squad at a time, and you can browse through your squads in the bar.
  • Filter the list of colonists in the Work, Restrictions and Outfits windows by squad.  Use the squad row at the top of the list to make assignments to all of the colonists in the list.
  • Assign keyboard shortcuts to select your squads.  In the Keyboard Configuration keys, choose which keys that you want to use under the "Squad Management" section.  Once selected, you can shift- or control- press the key to assign the current squad to that shortcut.  Double-press the key to select all members in the squad.
  • Be sure to look at the Interface Options window.  I've added a couple of tweaks that are not enabled by default.  These include an alternate time display as well as close buttons in the main tab windows.

Note that if you use the squad features, you must have the mod enabled to load your saved games.  If you save the game with the squad feature disabled (from the Interface Options window), you will be able to load your save without the mod enabled.

The squad management features bring a little more complexity that previous versions of the mod, so I'm guessing that there are still bugs in there.  I would recommend starting a new colony if you're going to try it out.

Let me know if you run into any issues, and I'd love to hear some feedback.

Download EdB Interface 3.0.3 (Pre-Release)
If you need an alternate download site, you can download the mod as an attachment at the bottom of this post, but you must be logged in to see the link.

EDIT: Updated the keyboard shortcuts description.
EDIT: Too many problems in this version of the pre-release.  I will post a new version before tomorrow.  If you really still want to try it, I've left the attachment at the bottom of this post.  You need to be logged into the forums to see it.  Be sure to read through some of the issues that people have been running into before downloading it.
EDIT: Disabled the link.  Download the newest version from the original post.

samurai999

WHiZ

unable to get the keyboard squad selecting to work. perchance when you right click the colonist bar with your squad shown give a "select squad" menu option in addition to the hide bar option.

Elkyir

Quote from: EdB on September 07, 2015, 10:48:42 PM
I'm basically done with the alpha 12 release, but I may make a few additions or changes.  If you'd like to see my progress so far, you can download the latest pre-release below.

What's new:

• First, I need to mention what's been removed.  The "colonist" main tab button that used to be in the lower-left corner of the screen is gone.  It didn't make sense with the new UI layout.  Also, I've decided to remove the alternate, vertically-aligned tabs and some of the spacing and layout tweaks throughout the mod.  It takes a lot of effort to keep those changes in sync with the game, so I've removed them.  This is not a final decision, so please give me some feedback on how important these were to you.
  • Squad management: you can organize your colonists into groups in the squad management window.  Click the "Squads" main tab button along the bottom of the screen to bring it up.  Squads are a good way to organize larger colonies.  You always have one automatic "All Colonists" squad that contains all of the (human) members of your colony.
  • The colonist bar only displays one squad at a time, and you can browse through your squads in the bar.
  • Filter the list of colonists in the Work, Restrictions and Outfits windows by squad.  Use the squad row at the top of the list to make assignments to all of the colonists in the list.
  • Assign keyboard shortcuts to select your squads.  Shift- or control- press the key to assign the current squad to the shortcut.  Double-press the key to select all members in the squad.
  • Be sure to look at the Interface Options window.  I've added a couple of tweaks that are not enabled by default.  These include an alternate time display as well as close buttons in the main tab windows.

Note that if you use the squad features, you must have the mod enabled to load your saved games.  If you save the game with the squad feature disabled (from the Interface Options window), you will be able to load your save without the mod enabled.

The squad management features bring a little more complexity that previous versions of the mod, so I'm guessing that there are still bugs in there.  I would recommend starting a new colony if you're going to try it out.

Let me know if you run into any issues, and I'd love to hear some feedback.

Download EdB Interface 3.0.3 (Pre-Release)
If you need an alternate download site, you can download the mod as an attachment at the bottom of this post, but you must be logged in to see the link.

Looking forward to the release, I hope eventually something like this will be added to the base game. I really don't like playing without the overhead bar of colonists to quickly switch between them.

EdB

Quote from: WHiZ on September 07, 2015, 11:36:50 PM
unable to get the keyboard squad selecting to work. perchance when you right click the colonist bar with your squad shown give a "select squad" menu option in addition to the hide bar option.

Good suggestion.  Sorry, I left out a couple of important details on the keyboard shortcuts.  I needed to make use of the built-in keyboard shortcut system, so before using the shortcuts, you need to go into the main Game Options Keyboard Configuration and choose which keys that you want to use for squad shortcuts.  You'll find them under the "Squad Management" section.  For example, I've assigned the Squad 1-10 keys to the numeric keys on my keyboard.  Once you've chosen the keys that you want to use, then you can do the shift/control click thing to assign a specific squad to each key.

EdB

Quote from: WHiZ on September 07, 2015, 11:36:50 PM

Almost forgot-if you've got three buttons on your mouse, you can middle-click to select all of the colonists in the row (that's not new, but sometimes I forget that it's there).

Tekuromoto

Quote from: EdB on September 08, 2015, 12:02:13 AM
Almost forgot-if you've got three buttons on your mouse, you can middle-click to select all of the colonists in the row (that's not new, but sometimes I forget that it's there).
Isn't the middle button used for dragging the map around? That's what I use it for...

Thanks for the awesome mod, btw. :)

joshwoo69

Florius

I'll give it a try with an excisting colony and let you know if I find a bug! :)

Really glad with the squad function though, because I really wanted to use squads in my previous colony hehe!
EDIT: First thing I noticed, is it possible to get a select all button at the colonist bar?
Maybe an interface option to always show squad name, so it doesn't fade away?  :-[

EDIT2: Love how we can setup tasks, area's etc. for all colonists at all! Although at the schedule, the anything option doesn't seem to work.

I am not sure what you are planning to do, but I just want to say I appriciate your hard work so far, and I am still waiting for the donation button! :)

EdB

Quote from: Florius on September 08, 2015, 07:51:42 AM
First thing I noticed, is it possible to get a select all button at the colonist bar?

Try middle-clicking on a colonist in the bar.  The should select them all.

Maybe an interface option to always show squad name, so it doesn't fade away?

Good suggestion.  I will add that--and then make it clickable so that you can select all colonists in the squad that way as well.

Love how we can setup tasks, area's etc. for all colonists at all! Although at the schedule, the anything option doesn't seem to work.

That's a bug.  I will fix that.  Thanks for the feedback!

Florius

Middle click works, thanks for that!

And another bug, which I have since an earlier version if the Interface mod, but not exactly sure how to reproduce, but sometimes when I have the architect menu open, and I click a colonist, it still keeps the architect menu open, and I can't recruit the colonist, or his menu doesn't open. I'll try to see why this happens...

EDIT: When you open architect, and click a colonist, that's when it happens! Rather anoying hehe :$