Need help, game is having a ton of issues.

Started by TNewport, July 31, 2020, 03:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNewport

When I open Rimworld the debug log pops up and and has tons of errors. also the mod menu is messed up and will not let me exit and return to menu. Same with Options. I have unsubscribed from every mod I was previously using, and I have completely uninstalled the game multiple times to try to fix this. I've used Revo Uninstaller to remove registry entries and everything as well. This still happens every time I fresh install the game with no mods. I need help from someone who can make sense of the Debug log please! Linked is the pastebin of the Debug https://pastebin.com/T5yZp7Jm

Canute

Hi,
you did many things, but one thing you forget.
You didn't manual delete the installation. I bet you use steam, and the steam (un)installer only remove latest version files but not any surplus files and these surplus files cause the errors.

TNewport

I am using steam yes, but I'm not using it's uninstaller, I used Revo Unistaller, which I've used with success on other programs in the past. What is the best way to manual uninstall the game?

Canute

Open a file manager like windows explore if you use windows, goto your rimworld installation, and delete the whole Rimworld folder.
If you uninstalled or even used Revo, you maybe notice before you delete it, there is still something left.
Special the stuff at the Core folder inside Data and/Mods cause your problems.
Blame steam for their update system.

TNewport

I deleted the installation folder that was under Steam>SteamApps>common and did a reinstall via steam, and its still doing the same thing.

Canute

That is strange.
Normaly that should fix the problem.
Could you please attach the full logfile to your answer.
When you open the Options, you see a button for Open logfile folder.
It is the player.log.
You need to use Reply button first to see file attachment options.

TNewport

I have the Debug log attached above, but sadly I can't use the options menu to get the full logfile you're requesting.

Canute

The option menu was just a shortcut.
Read the sticky "how to report a bug" to find the location of the logfile.
While you are at that location anyway, you should see there a folder Config, you could delete that too to reset the settings.

But when you manual delete (not uninstalled) the whole installation and let steam reinstall/repair it, i don't understood why you still get these XML errors.

TNewport

I found the Log file. I also found that there was still a lot of folders from mods and such in there as well, should I try deleting everything next time I do reinstall?

TNewport

I cleaned out the appdata folder and did a fresh install and everything is working correctly now! Thank you for reminding me that appdata folders were still there and messing with settings!