Will the game-breaking raider teleporting ever be fixed?

Started by LakeWobegon, August 12, 2020, 09:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LakeWobegon

Its not the 1st time I complain on this forum about raiders teleporting since 1.1 came out. Just see this  3 minutes video and tell me that this is not game breaking. This is seriously hurting my ability to enjoy this game. So will this ever be fixed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNgn6zfjfw

dearmad

Your game state made my eyeballs bleed.

I don't even care what problems you're having when you're at the edge of the game's possible realities like that.

LakeWobegon

What game possble realities are you talking about? The teleporting can be seen with only 10 raiders on the map. My very 1st colony in 1.1 was killed by 20 megasloths; I was expecting them to decompress but instead they all just walked inside (teleported) past the dudes doing melee blocking. Right, but you dont care because I dont have individual rooms and dont use carpets. Really good arguments to excuse 100% broken game behaviour.

Canute

LakeWobegon,
do you use mods ? Because i don't think that behavior happen normaly, but i notice similar when i used mods too.
Since my skills to made video's are poor i just made 2 pics with a similar, but not that extreme, enviroment you showed at your video.
And the scyther don't work in.

LakeWobegon

Mods have nothing to do with it, your schythers did not teleport because your setup gives them a LOT of space to decompress (short corridor) on top of it you sacrificed animals just to make sure (as much as possible) that they would go to drafted mode before engaging your colonists. The use of animals doesn't even consistently work as they might just decide to compress again.  If you want to do a serious simulation of what the video shows, make a multi-purpose corridor that does not let you get shot by more than 3 ranged units at a time; make the entrance be at at least 30 cells distance from your pawn doing the blocking and then spawn a raid of 50 scythers (8k fun points which is well below the fun point cap of 1.1); enjoy seeing your pawns surrounded by schythers in just a few game ticks. This did NOT happen in 1.0 and it breaks the game. Why does it break the game? Because as the size of the raid increases they can easilly fill a 30 cells corridor with drafted units while the other ones (not drafted) are always trying to push; getting teleported to the back of the line and forcing others to be pushed forwards much faster than their in-game speed allows for. The amount of lag is just unberable if I have +200 units or more on the map.

If the raiders are sappers, then the potential for teleporting just goes trhought the roof when they stop being sappers due to the leading sapper being killed. I had a situation where in just a few ticks the +100 raiders filled the +30 cells  corridor they were trying to sapp into and my guy that was suppose to close the door (long story) ended up surronded by ~30 dudes before the door could close, completely filling the entire room (at least 30 dudes moved inside my house from some 30 cells distance in the time that it takes to close the door; ofc that was caused by mods, ofc because what else could have caused it).

LakeWobegon

Btw it is clear to me that Tynan knows about this problem but refuses to acknowledge it publicly AFAIK and to say if it is going to be addressed sometime in the future.  Why do I say he knows about it? Because that is the only plausible explanation for the fun points cap being halved by comparison with 1.0 and 1.1 at release. So instead of a cap of 20k fun points we now have a cap of 10k. This means much weaker raids, which means less raiders on the map which means much less potential for teleportation and lag. There is just a "tiny" issue with that: RimWorld has become boring for ppl expecting a challenge, this game is now strong against the weak but a thootless bulldog when one is strong. There is no longer any incentive for me to build a large colony if the raids are mindboggling weak because of glaring issues with the pathing system.  Anyone trying to be challenged and bypassing the fun points cap risks seeing what we see in the video; heck what we see in the video can even be seen without going above the cap like I saidfd above.  IMO anyone looking for a real challenge has no option but to revert back to 1.0 untill this is fixed (if it will ever be fixed) which is a bloody shame because I did enjoy some of the things that were added or fixed with 1.1 and above.

82ab53e4

Just saying that i observed similar things with huge raids and mods have nothing to do with it. It's a shame to lose a good colony to raid that decided to teleport behind your ranks.

UltimateTobi

Never seen this happen.

I suggest you log a proper bug report in the Bugs sub forum.
Your generic Steam user.

PicaMula

Quote from: LakeWobegon on August 12, 2020, 09:28:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNgn6zfjfw
Well that's a meat shield alright!
I really feel like this was always the case (even at 1.0 and before) with huge raids, I mean the teleporting. But I could be wrong.
But still if this is new or not, I agree that it breaks the balance for sure, since the only way to survive something like that is to avoid getting surrounded.
Maybe a workaround might be reducing the size of the room where your colonists and animals stand to fight? I'll run some tests and report back if I find anything interesting.

PicaMula

Well I just tried to reproduce the teleportation on a 100% vanilla save on version 1.2.2725 (I know, I use mods too but we gotta eliminate variables, baby steps), and I could not reproduce the behavior you show on your video.

I tried to use the same pattern for the corridor you use on your video. There are 198 scythers, that's 3 individual 10k raids using dev mode, but don't worry they're all nicely packed up, if you're gonna try the save for yourself just deconstruct all barricades they are attacking using godmode that they will rush in like you see in the video.

And btw, the video has absolutely no editing so it's 21min long, use youtube's speed up if you wish to watch it, but there is not much to see, just 198 scythers not teleporting.

Well actually just now I realized that my corridor pattern is not exactly the same as yours, and my scythers are drafting from further away then yours seem to. Maybe the corridor pattern has an inpact? I'll try again with a corridor as close as I can make to yours in pattern and length.

Your corridor seems to have only 35-37 length on the section that is only 1 wide, it seems too small to me so I tried again with that length and changed the pattern a bit to make it closer to yours, still no teleportation.

Maybe you had more than 200 scythers? Or maybe they changed something on the unstable version (the one I'm running) that fixed it. I'm running the unstable version because it fixes a problem related to colonists not meditating when sick.

Video attempt #1 link: https://youtu.be/J2HYVTwxB_M
Video attempt #2 link: https://youtu.be/BTS875uj9GY
Save link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IU6yeKINtXXb4HUyuoc0YOht-V1JnMcG/view?usp=sharing

PicaMula

I tried again with 330 scythers. Still, no teleportation. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/WKOQSUe4E04 And the save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14exK9vRKzzmMOYGi3WX45PLdf4cEmg4Y/view?usp=sharing

My guess it either: 1. they changed something so teleportation doesn't happen;
2. It's because of some mod;
3. It's related to game/pc performance (unlikely since my game was running like 5fps)

And here are my specs if that matters:
Windows 10
16 Gb ram
i7 3.4GHz
GTX 650

82ab53e4

This bug happens only rarely, not in every huge raid. But it is nasty enough to be called game-breaking when it happens.

Mr_Fission

So I don't want to be that guy that says "this problem isn't a problem".  But I see rather serious flaws in that defensive layout that go beyond the warping behavior that is the focus of this thread.

Trying to kill 200+ scythers, one at a time, while they also apply melee damage to your animals, while your pawns stand still and lose rest, recreation, and hunger, seems like a losing strategy to me.  Even if the warping didn't happen, you'd still have your entire colonist pool locked down for so long that they'd begin to break soon anyways.

Why not get rid of the small intestine-style maze, open it up to a 5 tile-wide corridor, and lock it down with 4 dudes with EMP grenades and the other 14 with frags?  You'll suffer no wall damage from the frags if it's five tiles wide.  The 200+ scythers will get stunlocked while your 14 grenadiers wipe them out.  And you'll be done with the fight probably 20 times sooner.  Plus no warping.

PicaMula

Well, we're missing the point tho. I actually saw it happen on other situations that are not as "weird" as this one. Like with sappers as OP mentioned. Although, I couldn't reproduce the effect on a clean save on the latest version. It seems like something has changed.

Mr_Fission

I'd welcome OP recreating the teleportation behavior under controlled conditions.