[1.2.3005 rev1190] Excessive log file size on rimworld exit, sound engine issue.

Started by Elrood, July 09, 2021, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elrood

I have tone of mods. When i'm playing everything is fine.
When i try to exit rimworld without killing it by taskmaster, after loading and playing with my current save for few hours, log files is growing to fill all remaining disk space.
When i'm not outright killing rimworld with taskmaster, I got into habit of force closing rimworld immediatelly after clicking "Quit to OS", which truncate the log to few gigabytes top - depending on how fast I can kill it, how much it will write down.
This issue is nothing new, I see this kind of logs - with exactly the same message - for what feels like 2 years by now, this issue pop up every so often when I'm on playthrough with enough mods.

Can we please get an option to turn this particular logging off? In some advanced, hidden setting, even in .config or xml or ini file?
Or at least set level of logging which will turn this message (and similar) off?

So if someone don't need to turn it off, no problem, but for people like me, we can play with mods we want and manage to get to work good enough, without trying to kill our SSDs?

This issue pops up on this forum from time to time, easy to find.

Elrood

Canute

Hi,
- player-prev.log is the previous logfile. When you exit Rimworld the actual logfile is still player.log
When you start Rimworld the existing player.log get renamed into player-prev.log, and a new one get created.

Mosttimes big logfiles is the fault of some mods, because the mod author add debug messages and didn't removed them at their final release or you use a mod under development.

You can open the logfile with a good texteditor and check what messages fill up the log, maybe you get a hint about the mod.
But that is nothing for the bug section.

Elrood

Quote from: Canute on July 10, 2021, 03:51:41 AM
Hi,
- player-prev.log is the previous logfile. When you exit Rimworld the actual logfile is still player.log
When you start Rimworld the existing player.log get renamed into player-prev.log, and a new one get created.

Mosttimes big logfiles is the fault of some mods, because the mod author add debug messages and didn't removed them at their final release or you use a mod under development.

You can open the logfile with a good texteditor and check what messages fill up the log, maybe you get a hint about the mod.
But that is nothing for the bug section.

Okey, I will try to be patient here.

I know what -prev means. I actually did check few things before posting it, so thats why it generated new player.log. Doesn't really matter if i post screenshot of prev or current log - its still log generated by game.

From other threads about this problem you could see examples of log files going up and beyond 1TB if disk space is available.

its a bug because it interfere with windows - filling whole available disk space of system drive is a problem.

And on the side note: sound system error is not mod log message. I did open this file and checked. You can see on screenshot I posted what message is spammed.

Canute

Sorry, just looked at the error msg. and notice it is about sound and FMOD.

Refering to
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=49923.msg469095#msg469095
do you use maybe Dubs Bad Hygiene ?
I still think it is a mod thing maybe in combination with your hard/software. Do you use FMOD or similar software ?
I never got any of these sound issue's and i use that mod nearly all the time.

Elrood

My current playthrough has around 200 mods active (including Dub's Bad Hygiene, Save our Ship 2 and Rimworld of magic) working good enough togeather to be playable. Finding which one of those mods is actually causing the issue (if its not combination of mods) is too much work for me at my current shedule.

Beside I had the same issues around a year ago around the time last expansion was released. Its long standing issue for me, cropping up every time I'm doing heavily moded playthrough. Add the fact that around half a year ago I've build completely new PC and I highly doubt its hardware related - unless its because of Logitech g633 headphones - that and SSDs are the only thing that are left out of old system.

But the thread you pointed looks very similar to what is happening to me. I will try to do the same thing with Dub's Bad Hygiene sound and see what will happen. Thank you for pointing it to me!

Elrood

Looks like my guess is correct and it is a bug in rimworld.

Found this on steam Dubs Bad Hygiene Bug report thread:

Quote from: DubwiseFromSteam
Quote from: EnemyAreaFromSteamHey ppl,
is this a known bug that the mod spams "Error executing m_FMODChannel->stop() (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )" into the logfile, if the game is quit? sometimes it also happens, when I build showers. The game gets laggy and spams into the log-file.
its some kind of problem with having too many mods or things on the map trying to play sounds and its running out of memory to play them or something like that, only people that have an excessive amount of mods seem to get it, and i dont really want to disable sound effects just because of that, it also isn't specifically my mod, its just any sounds will trigger the issue, maybe he doesn't have a proper limit on the number of sounds that are allowed to play or its not handled properly with certain types of sounds

Looks to me that its not exactly mod specific, rather how rimworld is handling sound general problem.

On side note, I'm trying workaround from the forum thread point to me out. If it will help I will update this thread.

Edit:
I tried "workaround" attached to the thread, as expected, the same message is still spammed into log file:
C:\buildslave\unity\build\Modules/Audio/Public/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(393) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->stop() (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Modules/Audio/Public/sound/SoundChannel.h Line: 15)

The only reason this file is so "small" is that i'm killing rimworld process the moment it is stopping to be responsive.

Pheanox

Unfortunately every time we investigate this issue, it is the result of mods breaking the limits the game already has on the log file.  The game already has safeties to keep this from happening, and every time we've investigated the problem was with a mod with bad code removing these limits.